Belle got dog bit

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We got a break in the rain this morning so I took Belle to the dog park to run off some energy. We spent a few hours there yesterday and she had a great time. We go several times a week and have never had an issue...the dogs that come are always well mannered and friendly. Today I was talking to another dog owner and watching our dogs play when the lady spotted an old man crossing the parking lot with a black lab mix. She warned me that the dog's name is "Taylor" and she's very dog aggressive. She's gone after many dogs and they are trying to get her banned. I gathered my stuff to leave but I wasn't fast enough. Belle LOVES other dogs. She ran to the fence to greet Taylor as she was coming in with her owner, and before I could call her back, Taylor snarled and lunged. She grabbed on to Belles lower neck and shook. The old man did NOTHING but stood back and quietly said, "Taylor stop it or you are going home." I ran and basically threw the other dog off of Belle. I kicked her hard because she was still lunging and trying to get to Belle who was cowering at my feet. I scooped Belle up in my arms and went out the gate. I checked her over and she has a small cut on her chin that was lightly bleeding but nothing serious. The old man didn't say a word. By the time I looked back up he had wandered off to the other side of the park and was fussing at Taylor who was going after another dog. This guy is begging for a lawsuit! I didn't stay to confront him because thankfully she doesn't need vet attention, but I'm LIVID. I've never witnessed such stupidity in my entire life. Belle seems fine and acts like it didn't phase her at all but it freaked me out. Do you guys know of any action I can take to help get this idiot banned? His dog has no business at a dog park and I'm afraid she's going to kill someone before he gets the hint. This is a county owned dog park. We will go back but if he shows up again you can bet I'm going to have some strong words for him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Another member went thru a similar incident at the dog park @g8erjackie

I would call the county to let them know about this owner, and see if this person can get banned. It's a shame that one person can ruin it for everyone… I don't go to dog parks anymore for this exact reason. Most of the owners are just sitting there talking or looking at their damn cell phones and NOT paying attention to their dogs. Roxie always had a blast here, but Bella (our other bulldog) always attracted the aggressive dogs and there would be drama. She never got bit because me & the hubby were w/her the entire time but I got tired of dealing w/stupid people. PLUS of course people that have these aggressive dogs always want to bring their dogs to play w/other dogs…Unbelievable!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Im glad belle is ok, this is why I do not go to dog parks. What a shame.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Crazy!!! Why bring your dog to a dog park if it just attacks other dogs? Of course there are accidents sometimes but if it continues to happen one wonder why he keeps coming there... So sorry this happened to Belle:( I hope she doesn't get scared of other dogs in future. One *** like that can ruin a great experience for everyone else:mad: hope he gets banned.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I am at a total lost for people. Why would you continuously bring your dog who you know is aggressive. What is the mindset? Do they feel sorry for their who they think is being left out. Problem is Belle now had a taste of aggression and possibly her personality will change and be on the defensive side and might start growling at other dogs next time to protect herself. My neighbor who had frenchie who was the sweetest thing until she got bitten. Now she barks and attacks the next dog that ever comes close. What a shame. A group of the dog owners should pool together and confront this old guy next time you all see him. He has no business being there.

Harleysmommy

Apr 6, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Aug 1,2015. Harley (RIP baby girl) July 22, 2002 -March 26, 2015
I'm glad that Belle is ok. Some people have no consideration for others. Too bad that old mans dad wasn't neutered before he mated!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I've run into this same problem on walks, it's ridiculous how inconsiderate people can be. We had a small dog attacking tyson (yes he was small but he still was very aggressive) and NOT leashed. The man just stood there calling his name. I finally said if you don't get your dog I'm going to taze him - I always carry a taser with me on walks. I was just in shock. I'm glad you & Belle are okay. Honestly I'm a huge dog person BUT if you are hurting my baby. There's no limit on action that I'll take to save my dog. Kick, taze, anything. My momma instincts kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
The old man mumbled something about wanting to bring her so she could meet a new group of dogs...I couldn't believe it. He had NO control over her and brought her into a dog park when she was clearly growling and snarling before even getting inside the fence. I don't know how someone could be so dumb. Thankfully Belle seems to have suffered no ill effects from it. She was friendly to a neighbor's dog this afternoon and is acting like her normal laid back self. I'll be very careful the next time we go back, but I hate to let one idiot ruin it for us and keep us away. She LOVES going and it's her only chance to run free with no leash since our yard isn't fenced in :(

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So sad!!! I'm so sorry you and belle went through that. I would be just as angry.

sadly this is all to common and a huge reason why a lot of people don't go to dog parks. There is just too much risk since any idiot can bring in their aggressive dog. Which in turn can cause a friendly dog like belle to become scared. Bringing an aggressive dog to a park to socialize is the LAST thing these people need to be doing, but they are usually misguided and think that just forcing interaction on them will help. I've gone to the park a couple times but always been waaaay too nervous to stay. I know it's good manners to call your dog back when a new dog enters the park, but frank is like belle and wants to meet everyone new immediately. It was just too risky and scary for me!!

i do know Columbus has one of the first membership only dog parks. I have looked into it, it's pretty pricey but you get the reassurance that every dog there is fully vaxed and has been temperament tested.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
My boyfriends previous dog was attacked by two off-leash dogs when he was on base at fort Bragg. It was awful, he ended up punching on of the dogs in the snout and throwing the other off of his dog. The scary thing a we have to do when it comes to our babies.... She had to be rushed to the vet, she ended up being okay thankfully, and the owner of the dogs was taken to court and paid all the vet bills.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you and Belle had a bad experience at the leash free, I'm glad you're both okay, and that the injury wasn't serious or that you didn't get bit as well. Unfortunately there is always one or two people who ruin the parks for everyone else, they either have no sense and bring their dog even though they know it is aggressive, or they are ignorant and don't clean up after their pets. This is why I don't really use leash free parks too much anymore, I've had a coup,e of bad experiences, not that my guys have been bit thank goodness, but my female always gets humped by other dogs and she growls at them, but they don't leave her alone, she's spayed, but people bring their un neutered dogs to the park, and I've also encountered some aggressive dogs, that have have ripped off Blossoms sweater and tore it. I also have to give them a bath most times after they've been in the leash free because of people who don't poop and scoop. Here in Canada the leash free parks are maintained and run by the city, and they even provide poop bags and receptacles, so there's no excuse not to pick up your poop.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I was in my own yard with my girl and the neighbor 3 dogs, small , medium and large large literally busted through their fence by pushing it out and crawling under it to come after my girl. I was screaming for the owners to come get there dogs as I was now freaking out running into my house. Neighbor came over to get her large large dog while the other two came back when she called them. She told me that her dog was a good dog and wouldn't bite anyone. I said if your dog ever attempts to bite or go after my girl again I will call the police and dog pound. As she was walking away with her dog my silly girl decides to follow and omg her dog turned around on my girl and came after her but only could get so far because she had put a leash on her. But this all happened while in my own yard minding my own business.
Another time I literally had to climb inside of my dogs kennel with both my bullies and call the police because this dog wouldn't let us out and she kept lunging at us and I was just about to faint lol. The police arrived and said "oh it's just Zena and took her home. I told the officer that obviously she was being aggressive for me to have to call the police from inside my dogs kennel. I mean who goes into a kennel and does that. I agree people need to control there own dogs yes.

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
I'm so sorry! I don't have advice but know how upsetting it can be. I dealt with a real ignorant owner last year who had two dogs off leash.. I ended up in the hospital from protecting Joe. I've just become really careful about where Joe and I go .. He is less social and doesn't go to places where dogs are off leash .. but I have the comfort knowing we are safe .. I would definitely report it .

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm sorry this happened. There are few things I dislike more than irresponsible dog owners.
The important thing is she's ok.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.