davidjak

Mar 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubs
Hi guys! My girlfriend and I are officially picking up our first bully, Chubs, this coming Thursday.I attached the 2 photos I have of him:D
We have been prepping nonstop for the new puppy, and have officially bought everything we need to maintain Chubs and keep him beautiful.

However, I still have a few questions about what to feed him. I want to feed him the absolute best food possible for his health. Also, should I start him on any supplements? I'm going to talk to both the breeder and Chubs' vet about this, but wanted some opinions from great bulldog owners as well. Any extra advice you have for a new bulldog owner would also be very appreciated!

DSC08887.JPGDSC08895-1.JPG

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi!!! Omg what a cutie pie!! My opinion is Fromm puppy for the best puppy food, and heck yes on the supplements. I use Nuvet plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi David and Welcome to EBN, you will love it on this site. Congratulations on your new baby he's absolutely gorgeous. It makes me miss the puppy stage (sometimes). Lol. I would say that a good quality puppy food like Fromm's, would be the best thing to feed your puppy to start with. Puppy foods are made to accommodate the rapid growth and development of a growing puppy, and will have all the vitamins and supplements they need. A puppy is sensitive and so I myself only gave my guys their puppy food. When they turn 6 or 7 months old, you can switch them to a good quality adult dog food. We are currently feeding our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, because my guys are allergic to chicken, salmon and beef. You can try the Fromms Beef Frittata, or the Salmon. At 7 months old is when I stared to introduce some natural supplements. I add 2 Tbsps of plain yogurt to their morning kibble. Yogurt is beneficial for digestion and coat, and is a good source of Probiotics which boost the immune system, I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, ( 99% of all diseases including arthritis, come from inflammation in the body), ACV is also a natural anti bacterial and a natural anti fungal so it kills all the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. I f you start with the ACV when he is a puppy, he will be used to it and won't mind drinking it. Sometimes if you start as an adult, they will turn their nose up at the smell. I also add an Omega Fatty Acid to the evening kibble. I use Coconut Oil because of the salmon allergy, but you can use other sources such as salmon oil, cod liver oil, olive oil, or Coconut Oil. There are many health benefits to Omega Fatty Acids, they are good for the skin and coat, the bones and joints as well as the brain.
I like using these supplements because they are natural and are found easily in the grocery store or Natural Health Food stores. When introducing any new foods, treat or supplements, make sure to add one at a time and for about a week before adding a new one, that way you will know exactly which one he has a reaction or allergy too, and you can eliminate it right away without having to guess. Not your new baby, and I look forward to seeing more of you and Chubs on here. Please share more pictures as well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag, and have always had good results with it. As long as you feed a good food, you really don't need a supplement. But if you want to give him some, then NuVet Plus or HardyPet Complete are excellent.

OP
davidjak

davidjak

Mar 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubs
thanks for all the suggestions. sounds like Fromm puppy food is the way to go, and I'll definitely consider supplements. I'll talk to my vet this coming Friday and see what she has to say about them for a puppy.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is one perfectly cute little baby there!!! We're on Fromms too, with a tbl spoon of plain Greek yogurt every morning. Cannot wait to see more pics once you get him home!

OP
davidjak

davidjak

Mar 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubs
thanks everybody for the kind words and advice! and i'll definitely post a bunch of pictures of Chubs when we officially bring him home on Thursday:happydance:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We also feed Fromm. prairie Gold beef and use NuVet supplements. Lambeau is just now 6 mths and has been on both since 9 wks old

OP
davidjak

davidjak

Mar 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubs
thanks for the response. I was also consider Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, both are pricey but it seems like you get what you pay for considering the ingredients list

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I use Fromm's (and Fromms puppy food) plus I use NuVet supplements. We can't wait to see more pics of your baby!!!

karla9895

Dec 23, 2013
Helena,MT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winter, Queen Shiva, Big Tiger & Louis Vuitton
Welcome!!!!!!
he is a handsome boy :)
we use Fromm for Raven

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Welcome and congrats on the new baby! We tried Fromm but it didn't agree with Belle. She's on Earthborne Holistic and she's doing well on it. She also gets coconut oil with every meal and plain greek yogurt with dinner.

OP
davidjak

davidjak

Mar 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubs
thanks for the warm welcome everybody. is there a specific brand of coconut oil that you guys suggest?

Most Reactions