peteyrulz

Sep 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
Hi everybody!Petey had his annual head-to-toe checkup last week.He's in perfect health @10yo except the vet wants him to lose 5 lbs. His weight at time of rescue was 50 lbs, according to records. Now he's 64!! OOPS.Prior to his appt, his diet was 1.5 c Fromm's Weight Mgmt Gold 2x day. I also gave him plain greek yogurt (about 1 T) daily & 1 T coconutoil about 3-4x/week, some pumpkin every now &then.His coat is beautiful!My question is, would cutting out the CO facilitate his weight loss? I just started giving him green beans &/or carrots with 1 c Fromms. 2/day.he seems so hungry!!! I want to make Vegas stew this coming weekend.For those with overweight bullies, do you give coconut oil? how much how often? I'm afraid if I stop CO he'll get skin problems again.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't think CO has anything to do with his weight, good thinking what you're doing now. replacing the .5 cup with the veggies is a great idea. Everything in moderation will work out, 10 yo!! Congrats to you!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
cups of food is a lot of food.... dropping him to 2 cups a day for sure and that will help. the CO really does not play a role, in my opinion.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=12854]peteyrulz[/MENTION]

Here I come, the usual dissenting opinion (don't hate me please..lol).

1 tbsp of coconut oil has 117 cals. 1 cup of From Weight Management Gold has 341 cals per cup.

If you're giving the coconut oil just 3 times a week, that would be the equivalent of an extra cup of food. If you're giving it 4 times a week, plus the yogurt at about 6 cals per day that would be a little over 500 extra cals per week. That makes a large difference for a bulldog when they're trying to lose weight.

I'd cut out the oil for now.

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Someone told me coconut oil helps with weight loss ??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Someone told me coconut oil helps with weight loss ??

I don't think eating pure oil (of any kind) will ever help during weight loss, regardless of it's other benefits.

let me edit this actually: There haven't been any studies done on coconut oil yet to show that it will help. My opinion is moot.

OP
P

peteyrulz

Sep 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
wow nybullymama, thank you for the calcs. That's a lot
if extra calories for sure. And IIRC 1 T CO has 10g fat?
I'll cut it out for now, & giving more veggies. He loves his veggies!

as a matter of fact, I don't think there's any food he DOESN'T love!!
:D

btw I love your sig line! that's my mantra.

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In the end it's about the calories...if you (or your dog) eat too much carrots you will gain weight...needless to say you need to eat a LOT more of carrots than oil...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Re: Coconut oil & weight?

wow nybullymama, thank you for the calcs. That's a lot
if extra calories for sure. And IIRC 1 T CO has 10g fat?
I'll cut it out for now, & giving more veggies. He loves his veggies!

as a matter of fact, I don't think there's any food he DOESN'T love!!

btw I love your sig line! that's my mantra.

no problem.

it's closer to 14g of fat. Or is it 12? Either way, it's more than 10grams.

lol.. i try to make it my mantra too! lol..
:D

- - - Updated - - -

In the end it's about the calories...if you (or your dog) eat too much carrots you will gain weight...needless to say you need to eat a LOT more of carrots than oil...

ain't that the truth!! lol..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.