Dr jeckle mr Hyde

blitz

Apr 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chuck
We just got or 1.5 yearold bulldog in February. He's generally a sweet boy, but now we are seeing aggression issues.. He starts with attacking feet then goes from there, with lunging, biting, he normally will keep it up for 10 minutes.. We try and pin him on the ground to be dominate, but sometimes he won't calm down.. We unfortunately don't know his history.. One minute he will be fine with " grandpa" the next he is jumping high enough to try and grab his biceps we are scared of him meeting new ppl.
I ran into a women who had a bulldog and she said hers was really bad with outsiders too. We can't have him be bad to gramma and gramps.. Please any advice? We've just started one class of obidence where she got to see him try to attack gramps and she doesn't understand what the cause is.. We may take him to another..

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear this… I don't have any experience w/a rescue, but I will tag some members who may be able to help you.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie will do this sometimes with us if he is over excited. Sometimes pinning him will work. Make sure when you pin him down his feet are facing away from you and you hold him down until he completely relaxes. It wont work if you let him up too soon. I have also started that whenever people come over I have Frankie on a leash and he does not get to come off his leash until he is calm and collected.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... he is at the rebellious teenage stage so you need to get him to understand his boundaries and that you are his alpha. As Rosalie stated... keep him on leash till he settles down or gate him in a room till all your visitors arrived and he is settled and got the scent of them. Also, try to tire him before company comes over... walks, play time, etc.

A training technique that is very easy to use/implement and ALL humans must follow and be consistent is 'nothing in life is free' -- http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

Best of luck ... be patient and consistent

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=14062]blitz[/MENTION]

You are doing well in getting him into training. Since you don't know his background, you need to re-establish training. Have you tried a spray bottle? Spray to the side of the face, with firm correction. I know its not easy, and it will take work - but since you mentioned he's a sweet boy - I'm sure he will be just fine with some work put into it.

Sidenote: Health wise all is good? Sometimes bully show aggression if they don't feel well or something is bothering them.

While you train him, always keep him leashed, keep small treats in your hand/pockets & reward the good behavior. Also, grandma & grandpa will have to be involved in training if he 's around them alot. He needs to learn who he has to respect & acknowledge as alphas.
I'm happy he's got good parents like you who are seeking out help & advice, and will work on it. He's still young too, so he may be trying to be playful. It just all needs to be corrected. Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted on his progress. I think another obedience class is a good idea, perhaps one with exp in bulldogs. They are a special breed I tell ya.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You've received great advice. Keep us updated on how training goes.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Oh the joys of a rescue bully LOL.
Training is the way to go! We put brutus in training after a few months of getting him and it helped...a little. It took brutus a while to get used to our home and us since he was passed around to 3 different homes before finding us. He was never disciplined or knew how to behave himself and he just hates the word "NO". We tried everything with Brutus including spraying him with water, but it didn't phase him. We had to keep him on a leash and collar in the house for the first few months of having him. This helped us with him to learn his boundaries and he was also attacking our cats.
Everyone here gave you great advice. I would leash and collar him until he learns the rules of your house.

And exercise him...a lot. Training will wear his mind out and that may be what he needs along with a nice, long walk. I do that with Brutus when he gets feisty. I will walk and train. make him sit and lay down in the middle of our walks. That wears his mind and body out.

Good luck! it's not easy but it's worth it!

OP
blitz

blitz

Apr 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chuck
I guess yesterday when grandma was returning to our home he went crazy in the hallway. Bite her 3 times drawing blood... My boyfriend says the only thing we can do is put him down..��I feel like he bit because he knew he was going to be abandoned and left alone at our house.. He's been fine with her up,till yesterday.. Please help I've 10 days to figure this out and save him.. .. He's generally such a sweet boy. He was fine at their house for 2 hrs.. Anyone want to rescue him if anything?? Knowing his issues??

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I guess yesterday when grandma was returning to our home he went crazy in the hallway. Bite her 3 times drawing blood... My boyfriend says the only thing we can do is put him down..��I feel like he bit because he knew he was going to be abandoned and left alone at our house.. He's been fine with her up,till yesterday.. Please help I've 10 days to figure this out and save him.. .. He's generally such a sweet boy. He was fine at their house for 2 hrs.. Anyone want to rescue him if anything?? Knowing his issues??

Please DO NOT put him down. That shouldn't even be mentioned. If you are not willing to train him properly & be patient with him, please look for a local rescue. There are members here who can give you some names. @bullmama @2BullyMama @dolphin @Vikinggirl - 10 days is not enough time for anyone to get settled into a new environment. I really hate to sound frank, but putting a dog down should never be the first response. If he's not doing well in your home, he will in another... he needs to be taught. He's rescued, this may be the only behavior he knows. I'm no where near you, or else I would foster him and find him a good home. But again, please - I stress - locate a rescue near you before anything.

Crate him while you aren't there - but please understand that his background may not be that great. He needs to be trained, and loved. My Tyson was a rescue and we've had our share of bad times, but in the end, he's the best dog ever. Once he learned this was his home and that he was loved... you saw the change instantly.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Please give this boy some time to adjust, you just got him, no need to even think about putting him down :(
For right now, leash and collar him in the home. Do you have access to a crate? Can you put him in a crate when you aren't there?
Don't get upset, we are all here to help you. I understand it's so frustrating and you want to give up but don't. It's going to take time and effort on your part. Don't give up on him!!!

OP
blitz

blitz

Apr 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chuck
We've had him 2 months.. He seems to get worse.. Trust me I don't want tooo

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

It took me almost 6-8 months to fully train Tyson - This isn't something that will be fixed overnight. It takes work, and I mean alot of work. Consistency, patience, repetition. You also can't not train one day, and train the next. He's still young & full of energy, and probably has never had anyone train with him. It's not an easy task, but if you're not 100% committed to training. (Which if your BF is already saying he needs to be put down) he's not... then you need to rehome him. Let me look for rescues in your area.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Of course you don't and you aren't going to either! You have enough resources here to help you get through this until you start training.
2 months is not that long. We've had brutus over a year and STILL have issues we are working through with him. rescue babies are not perfect and they are a lot of work, but it will pay off in the end.

There are many other options for you, putting him down should not be one of them.
Can you crate him?
Can you leash him in your home?
Are you working on training him by yourself right now or waiting for training to start?
Is he being exercised?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to give you as many options as possible.

OP
blitz

blitz

Apr 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chuck
Thank u.. I love him so much.,, ahhh he's so cute. Just a butthead

OP
blitz

blitz

Apr 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chuck
He knows sit, come. He will wait to get fed till our command.. He is leashed for walks, no crate. We can leash him, but we have no visitors.. I think he acts like brat and when he's told no he snaps.. Big baby

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.