Drinking Water

Katie Mangialetti

Apr 18, 2015
It seems like the last couple weeks, Griffin has been constantly throwing his water up. Even when I am only giving him maybe a quarter of a cup at a time, he still throws it back up. Sometimes it stays down, but lately not so much. He has had lots of energy as normal. The vet said it is normal, and that some English Bulldogs just have it worse than others. He was on an a dose of steroids for close to a week, which made his hunger and thirst greater, but he has not had any in about two weeks. He just drinks water, and throws it right back up within a few minutes. Should I just take him to the vet? Am I being paranoid? All he seems to want is water, water, water. He is not dehydrated and his coat is perfect. I'm at a loss right now! Help!

TYIA

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Katie, I don't have any experience with this, but I would be worried as well. A check by the vet never hurts if you're worried or not sure, its always worth the peace of mind. I do know that steroids and some other medications can cause excessive thirst and more frequent urination, and that may be all it is. I hope Griffin is okay, sending love, hugs and prayers. Please keep us posted.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Katie I would be concerned about this… excessive water drinking can be an indication of something else. He needs to have a blood test done to make sure he's not diabetic… AND it's not considered normal for bullies to throw up water on a constant basis. If I were you I would take him to a vet… please keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank will occasionally spit up some water after drinking, especially when he is phlegmy, but not all the time. We went through a period when Frank was 1 and all he wanted to drink was water and he was always having to pee. It turned out he was eating a food that had been recalled due to causing problems with kidney functions. Frank does drink quite a bit of water normally but we could tell when he was drinking much more than normal, since that usually indicates something is not right.

Let us know if you take Griffin to the vet and get any news. Sending best wishes to Griffin and hope he starts feeling better soon!

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Maybe you could try your dog on a drinking water bottle (sippy) to see if he can hold it down a little better until you get an appt at the vet. My girl use to gulp and gulp water and then belch and up it came so I switched her over to a water bottle to slow her process down somewhat. This began a process of slowing her drinking down but still allowed her to continuously have water. Today she now drinks from her water bowl and has her sippy bottle attached to her cage if she is in her cage.

OP
K

Katie Mangialetti

Apr 18, 2015
Thank you everyone! You have all been so helpful. I have an appointment at the vets office in two hours. I hope and pray it's something minor. I love my boy and hate to see him like this. I have been measuring out his water in smaller increments. He seems to do okay, but not much different. I will update everyone as soon as I get feedback! Praying myself, and crossing my fingers!

Attachments

• IMAG1918.jpg
    IMAG1918.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 114

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you everyone! You have all been so helpful. I have an appointment at the vets office in two hours. I hope and pray it's something minor. I love my boy and hate to see him like this. I have been measuring out his water in smaller increments. He seems to do okay, but not much different. I will update everyone as soon as I get feedback! Praying myself, and crossing my fingers!

Awwwwe, what a sweet face. We are praying that everything going well! Please let us know what the vet says. Give him lots & lots of hugs.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I will be praying that it is not serious.:pray: One of the first signs of diabetes is extreme thirst.

Harleysmommy

Apr 6, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Aug 1,2015. Harley (RIP baby girl) July 22, 2002 -March 26, 2015
Please tell us what the vet said. Worried about Griffin. :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country