Is He Going To Be OK!!!!!

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hey EB Lovers, i have a quick questions, as some of you guys know. Our little Otis will be now 12 weeks old. Here's the problem. I work in the morning tomorrow and my wife works @ 12:00 therefore Otis will be home all by himself For at least 7:00 hours... I Know... we are bad parents. I looked at Doggie Daycare but they are closed right now and probably won't be able to fit him in.... so do you guys think he will survive the 7hrs of being by himself...

lots of advice please

thank you

Man

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
7 hours? That's seems long for him to be by himself :( especially he's only 13 weeks old. If there's someone u can trust to check up on him? Or check up on him during lunch break?

MissyMiley2015

Apr 1, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
I was in the same situation for a while and felt just like you about it. The truth is we do our best with what we can! I put smiley in her kennel during the day after she had breakfast and pottied. Most days she kept her lil kennel clean while I was at work but some days she had an accident.
I learned to not give her raw hides or chew toys that were edible, only squeak toys and things to keep her entertained. Now she can stay in her kennel at 4⃣ months old without any accidents and she loves her little house. I did the best I could and apparently it ended up being what was best for her and I.
Hope this helps.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Lynn, 12 weeks seems a little young to be alone for 7 hours. The rule of thumb is a puppy can can usually hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, so at 12 weeks he can hold for about 4 hours. Is it possible for you to come home on your lunch break to let him out? If not you could hate him in the kitchen or bathroom where there is tiled floor in case he has an accident. Some people use pee lads or paper, but he's young and he may eat it. Like MissyMiley said sometimes we have to leave them for a while, and its okay, and other times he may have an accident. We do the best we can for them. Is there a responsible student in your neighbourhood that could walk him on days when you will be away for a longer period?

Colonelmustard

Dec 8, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel Mustard
for his age, that does seem a little long. Our Colonel is a year and a half old and we try to not leave him alone for that long, but he CAN go longer than that without needing to potty. The thing is, and this is what I say to people all the time at the dog park, bulldogs don't have a JOB to do like other breeds. Their ONLY job is to love, and be loved. So being alone for too long will stretch his limits. Just realize he may become aloof with you when you are home, and he will probably have a lot of accidents. Other than those two things, he will be fine.

OP
M

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
well we got a solution... on of our friends is going to look after him while we are at work... so it's something better... i'm looking into the occasional doggy day care like maybe once every 2 weeks.... so don worry guys Otis will be well taken care of.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
well we got a solution... on of our friends is going to look after him while we are at work... so it's something better... i'm looking into the occasional doggy day care like maybe once every 2 weeks.... so don worry guys Otis will be well taken care of.

Glad you found a solution. Just make sure she takes him out for a quick pee/poo.
At 12 weeks, it's doubtful he'll be able to hold it for 7 hours and you don't want to come home to a mess every day.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Glad you found a solution of sorts, but is not just about the potty issue though...puppys should be accustomed to being alone little by little, just guessing you haven't done that yet? If just suddenly left alone they can develope issues like separation anxiety.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

we had to hire a pet sitter to stop in for 30 mins twice a day for our guy during that stage.... you want them to go potty at least every 2 - 3 hrs

Most Reactions