Lumbaral sacral degenerative disease

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Lulu has recently been diagnosed with this and is unable to finish her classes due being on crate rest sadly. we took in her in to see her vet due to seeming painful and reluctant to get in car. She gave her Rimadyl, but in a few days we had her back for X-rays. Her t12 (shoulder area) is bad and her hips are non existent. She is responding to Prednisone thankfully. Prednisone is a deal with the devil. It usually helps and if given too long it can damage the liver. She is seven. The "damage" is not able to be repaired. The vet said it looks like someone may have tried to fix it when she was younger with a triple osteo (Ball and socket hip repair technique)

Lulu came to us seven months ago from a rescue. They tell us that her previous person bought her from a pet store. She has no tail, but has never wagged her butt, has been slightly incontinent, has difficulty pooping and two days prior to her vet visit she knuckeld a rear paw. we thought she had stepped on a rock at the time, but I'm sure it was related to this. It makes her very uncoordinated and weak.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh… poor sweet girl :( I'm so sorry to hear this, but hopefully the meds will keep her comfortable. Will they keep her on prednisone or can they give her something else?!!

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So sorry to hear this. [emoji20] I hope the meds work and an alternative can be found. Poor girl.

OP
Chanticocat

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Seven days of two pred once a day. Seven days of one once a day. Seven days of every other day and crate rest the whole time. We will see how she responds. Can't do rimadyl with prednisone. We can get her cold laser therapy and or acupuncture if needed. This condition could possibly paralyse her. I have found a few sources of instructions for building wheelchairs online. We are hopeful. She is doing better since starting the Pred on Monday.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm hopeful the meds. will work.
Pred. is like the evil miracle drug but it usually gets the job done.

Keep us updated.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am sending prayers that LuLu responds to the meds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sending lots of hugs and prayers to you all... hope you can somehow lessen her pain. The laser therapy did help Banks a LOT with her back issues (arthritis in her spine) - it was noticeable when her session was due.

Also, look up Lancaster K9... they make/sell carts/wheelchairs for dogs

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We are also praying for sweet Lulu, I hope that you find the right combination of things to help her feel comfortable. It sounds like you are being very pro-active, and with such great parents I know she will be fine, and get all the love & care she needs :) Please give her lots of hugs from me & Ty-Ty.

OP
Chanticocat

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
we were in the E R with her at three thirty in the morning. Major discomfort and crud from her lil ears She is chronic ear infection to the point where total ablation is being discussed. They knocked her out and completely flushed her ears until they ran clear. Sent her home with oral antibiotics, ear cleaner containing dex sp and baytrill, and tramadol in case of pain. That ear stuff works. The results from the culture are in Beta Hemolytic Streptococcus. Since following doctors orders her ears are fairly normal looking with no smell and very little red discharge. We need to go pick up her new oral meds and wil most likely have to treat her ears weekly with prescriptions, but if we can avoid surgery, we are all for it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sending positive and healing thoughts your way...

OP
Chanticocat

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
That was Sunday. We just drove out with Lulu to pick up the new meds. The techs and vet that worked on her were there and came out to see her. She was so happy to see them. The vet seemed really happy that the emergency ear flush at three am was for a great cause. We may not have to flush her ears again let alone do surgery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That was Sunday. We just drove out with Lulu to pick up the new meds. The techs and vet that worked on her were there and came out to see her. She was so happy to see them. The vet seemed really happy that the emergency ear flush at three am was for a great cause. We may not have to flush her ears again let alone do surgery.

Sending lots of prayers surgery is not needed,,,, great work getting her healthy and healed up

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.