hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
This may be too early for most of you, but for us in LA, it's warm enough to go to the beach already.

We're taking Til to a doggie friendly beach next week. I always make Til wear a life jacket near water - on the boat, pools, beachs, etc. but last time we were there we saw a few bullies, none of which had life jackets!

Do you make your bulldog wear a life jacket near water? If not, aren't you worried that they can't swim and may fall in?

Maybe I'm just overly cautious!

Our other beach essentials for Til are plenty of water and baby sunscreen (she is all white and sunburns very easily).

What else do you bring to the beach?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This may be too early for most of you, but for us in LA, it's warm enough to go to the beach already.

We're taking Til to a doggie friendly beach next week. I always make Til wear a life jacket near water - on the boat, pools, beachs, etc. but last time we were there we saw a few bullies, none of which had life jackets!

Do you make your bulldog wear a life jacket near water? If not, aren't you worried that they can't swim and may fall in?

Our other beach essentials for Til are plenty of water and baby sunscreen (she is all white and sunburns very easily).

I would always always put the life jacket on, anywhere near water. I'm sure you're bringing treats :) heehee... and don't forget some bags for poop! lol ....AND because I'm the biggest chicken ever, I also have benadryl on me all the time... in case he were to get bit by something, and starts to have a reaction. The benadryl would give me "some" time even if just a little to get him to the ER.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've never taken my dogs to the beach… but I would say if they get adventurous in the water then get the life jacket. I also agree w/ [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]… we NEVER leave the house w/out benadryl… Lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We live 15 minutes from the beach here in Florida. I have taken Vegas once in 6 years. He kept drinking the salt water, although I took fresh, and we had to leave within 15 minutes. When we got home he got the squirts for the rest of the night and the whole next day from the salt water. So Vegas has never been again. I would certainly use a life jacket if you are going. We went on a very warm but overcast day so I did not take sunscreen.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

you wouldn't happen to be going to Rosies beach on the 26th?

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I would always always put the life jacket on, anywhere near water. I'm sure you're bringing treats :) heehee... and don't forget some bags for poop! lol ....AND because I'm the biggest chicken ever, I also have benadryl on me all the time... in case he were to get bit by something, and starts to have a reaction. The benadryl would give me "some" time even if just a little to get him to the ER.
That is such a good idea just to keep in my purse! I never thought of that. Matilda ate a bee once and her blew up in seconds - I FREAKED out! That's a great idea to have on hand!

- - - Updated - - -

you wouldn't happen to be going to Rosies beach on the 26th?
How could you have guessed that?! hahahha

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I need to buy Brett and Logan a life jacket! I freak out when my pups are around huge dogs :-/

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am just so afraid they will overheat. Do you think if I keep them wet, they will be ok??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am just so afraid they will overheat. Do you think if I keep them wet, they will be ok??

me too... which is why I have never taken them -- too paranoid about it. I think if we go now with them, it would be OK... mid-low 60's ??

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)

Just watch them! Til has been to the beach tons of times. We keep her in the shade, with plenty of water, and we let her splash a bit in the ocean or lake to cool down! We also will get her life jacket wet so it will be cold on her body. We even have cooling vests that act the same way - get them wet, they stay cold for hours. You can tell if your pup starts getting too hot. Just be cautious and don't let them run around in the sun too long :)

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
When the pool opens we have to cover their heads in waterbabies sun screen. It works. If they are not in the pool, in their pool its shade and back inside. Be careful because the boys lie. They like to get wet then bake in the sun. They would stay out all day and bake. We use a food timer because we are old and been known to forget. One twist of the chicken timer equals one hour. Ralphie

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We use life jackets. In fact, we're looking for new ones now.

@brutus77 and @2BullyMama Blue adores the water and spends most of his time in it. He does fine. Only pants now and then if he's out of it for too long.
You guys saw the picture of him lounging out in Key West and he was not panting. That was also last August so it was hot. Trick is to keep them in the water most of the time, and when they're out, get them to a shaded area.

BUT- I wouldn't take them out for a full day on the beach either, and I would first test it. Spend like 10-15 minutes around a body of water in the heat and see how they do.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.