OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Soooo lemme just start from the beginning. See what had happened was....I'm an idiot and bought Belle a bag of Fromm that wasn't grain free :eek: She ate almost the full LARGE bag before I realized it. About the same time we fed her this she started shedding like crazy. I figured it was just because of the season changing but I started to get concerned about a week ago because I noticed some spots on her flank and shoulders that looked thin. I noticed a few more areas that looked funny so I started brushing her really well. I wasn't happy with the cheap brush we had so today we got a Zoom Groom. Holy loose hair batman! :yikes: I had NO idea that a little bulldog could produce that much hair!! I brushed for awhile and then gave her a bath. The areas of concern aren't red or anything and I know it's not ringworm...I also highly doubt that it's mange. I'm guessing either an allergic reaction to the grain in the food or something else? I swapped her over to Earthborn Holistic grain free fish formula...she's been on that for three days. She also gets coconut oil and greek yogurt daily. How long should it take before I see improvement if it was food related? Anything else I should be doing? I took some pics but she just had a bath so keep that in mind. You really can't see the thin areas I'm worried about but I'll attached the pics anyways. How do you guys think she looks? I've never had a short hair dog shed this much so hopefully I'm just freaked out over nothing :whistle:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Eh, she looks great to me - nice & shiny :) I don't see anything of immediate concern. Give the new food time to settle in, and see if you notice a difference :)

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Thanks! Hopefully I'm just freaked out from nothing...she went from barely shedding at all to losing handfuls and coating the furniture. I don't see how she isn't completely bald yet. She still has some very thin spots that I can see when she's dry but it's proving impossible to get a good picture of them :blush2:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks! Hopefully I'm just freaked out from nothing...she went from barely shedding at all to losing handfuls and coating the furniture. I don't see how she isn't completely bald yet. She still has some very thin spots that I can see when she's dry but it's proving impossible to get a good picture of them :blush2:

Hee hee.. Tyson had a short phase like that too. It was coming off in handfuls! I bet that fish formula will help, bc I ended up adding in some salmon oil into his food, and it stopped within a few days :) I bet it was the grains... that's one of the #1 things it does.... shedding, skin issues. She's a cutie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

New food results can take up to a month...to see a differwnce

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
It is also the time of year that most blow their coats, that could be a reason for the huge amount of shedding! I LOVE my Zoom Groom, Vegas is shedding extra heavy right now. Vegas has also been on Earthbourne Lamb for over two years and does fabulous on it. It will take a 4-5 weeks to see a difference.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Ok now that she's dry she looks REALLY thin along her spine (her hair not her weight). She also has a spot on her flank that has a red area under the hair..it's slightly raised and almost looks like a bug bite. *sigh* I'll try to get a picture...

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Okay, these are pics I just took now that she's dry. Can you guys see the thin areas and the red sore type spot? Any ideas what's going on?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I think the pink spot looks like a big bite. I do see the hair loss in the second round of pictures. It could be allergies but I'm not really sure. Maybe *** fish oil to her food and see if the grain free food fixes the issue? If it gets worse head vet I think.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
So strange to see what a grain dog food would do to a grain free dog food in the areas of hair shedding and skin. Maybe she hasn't been on the new food long enough to see the great results of it yet. I see in the pics what you're saying about thinning hair ect.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
She seems to be less itchy for the past few days and I don't see any more thin spots developing. She's been on the grain free food for about a week now...fingers crossed it does the trick and her hair comes back!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
She seems to be less itchy for the past few days and I don't see any more thin spots developing. She's been on the grain free food for about a week now...fingers crossed it does the trick and her hair comes back!

I'm sure it will! I bet that food was what got her.... I'm glad she's slowly getting better. sweet girl :) Thanks for the update!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.