Shedding Issue......

Wolfjen50

Jan 18, 2011
Okaloosa county
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I just need to know if shedding is a common issue or does it indicate that my baby is not getting a nutritional element he needs?:confused:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well I guess that depends on the amount of shedding. Bulldogs are average shedders, I know no matter what I do Samson sheds quite a bit. You may want to try using a fish oil supplement if you don't already. I put a wild alaskan salmon oil on Samson's food everyday, it helps alot with shedding and does wonders for his skin and coat! What food are you feeding Winston? A high quality food helps alot with reducing shedding as well.

OP
Wolfjen50

Wolfjen50

Jan 18, 2011
Okaloosa county
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Right now I bought this food that was recommended to me and I am having serious doubts about it. The name of it has slipped my mind and it is not what I usually buy him, but they were out of his brand and they said this was the "same" or "just as good". What an idiot I am. I will go back to his Nutro brand and will add some fish oil into his diet.

The shedding has been so bad that I have been giving Winston lots of veggies, yogurt and some cheese. He loves that!!:LMAO:

Thank you!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Right now I bought this food that was recommended to me and I am having serious doubts about it. The name of it has slipped my mind and it is not what I usually buy him, but they were out of his brand and they said this was the "same" or "just as good". What an idiot I am. I will go back to his Nutro brand and will add some fish oil into his diet.

The shedding has been so bad that I have been giving Winston lots of veggies, yogurt and some cheese. He loves that!!:LMAO:

Thank you!!

Nutro isn't like the WORST food on the market but it is far from good either. I used to feed Samson that and after I switched it made a WORLD of difference. It's got a lot of fillers, it's just not a good food for bullies. I suggest trying something else. Fromm is really popular here, so is Natures Variety, Natures Logic, Avoderm, Taste Of The Wild, I had Samson on Natural Balance grain free for years and he did great on it. I strongly suggest switching.

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola sheds alot too (which I don't care for b/c most of my wardrobe is black) so I recently switched to the Formm brand of food. I am curious to see how it improves this issue. :) Hopefully, it helps!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say that Maggie definitely shed a lot more when we had her on the Beneful, but since she's been on Fromm there has definitely been less!! Daddy still has his puppy coat .. so he's not really shedding at all for the moment!

SJQuirk

Dec 21, 2010
South Dakota
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Louie has been shedding quite a bit since the weather has warmed up but I just picked up some new shampoo that is suppose to help with shedding. I have never heard of wild alaskan salmon oil where do you get that at?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I, too, highly recommend changing to a better food and using the salmon oil. We have a St. Bernard who used to shed in handfuls! Then we switched his food and started him on the oil and the difference was AMAZING!! Gertie and Ida don't shed much, but a little. I don't think you can do anything to get no shedding at all. But when Clementine arrived yesterday, I discovered how well Gertie and Ida really are doing! Clementine was raised on a really BAD food, that was my ONLY complaint with her. I am immediately getting her switched off this garbage and she was shedding like Arrow used to yesterday. I brushed and brushed her and it's gotten better. But I started her on some salmon oil with her breakfast this-morning.
You can find Salmon oil at Petco or Petsmart, but it's a bit pricey. I ordered 64 oz. for $37.75 and paid $4.95 shipping (and they sent it priority, I had it in 2 days!) from a place called Better Health. There was a link in a post on here. I'll see if I can find it for you. It was a good deal!

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, iffin you likes fish breath bulldogs I reckon fish oil is fine. However.........most vets will tell you (and charge you for telling you)
that hair loss is a Vitamin D deficiency which is caused by lack of sunlight. Bulldogs are especially prone to this. In fact during winter they will go bald
on each side of the back of their bodies just above their rib cages. You can either invest in a sun lamp.....or......move to Floridia...........or........use the fish oil........or just give them melatonin (which will put them to sleep even more)..............or use vitamin D booster shots from your vet (expensive)........or wait until spring when they can get more sunlight and the hair will regrow back in (usually darker in color).

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I love the Grizzly Salmon oil and we use the www.betterhealthinternational.com for a supplier. I obviously am a little too paticular about some things because I will spend hours and hours and hours going through all the websites of the suppliers of a paticular product to work out who gives the best deal including the cost of postage. For the Grizzly salmon oil it was Better Health International, and for the Fromm food it was petflow.com!!

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
Shedding can be a manifestation of not moisturized or dry skin and deficiency in Vitamin E. You may buy vitamin E supplements at your local pet store and oat soap to moisturize the skin

Last edited:

terriers10

Feb 6, 2011
Friendship, Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Have you ever tried a curry brush ? I use this all the time on my dogs and in my grooming business when washing dogs. Not only does this remove dead hair it massages the skin. You will have a squeaky clean dog and they love it. Also a good quality food will help a lot. Since I changed my dogs food over to "taste of the wild" their coats are soft and shiny.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester has been shedding terribly for almost 2 months now..it's driving me nuts. I know he's being fed well, but it's winter here - so not sure why it's happening. It's a good think he's so cute, or I wouldn't appreciate all the white hair on my good work clothes :luv:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online