How do i get my EB outside willingly?

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hey EB lovers, I need some advice. My wife and I just got our new family member Otis, 3 days ago... now i've been told to give it time cause of the new surroundings... but he doesn't like to go outside when he's at home.. but once he's outside hell run around and not go potty... oh and we literally have to pick him up and carry him out before he's outside... oh and he braces himself or he runs to his kennel if he know we are sending him outside. So guys and gals what should we do?

Thank You for your advice?

Man,Mei and Otis

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Welcome! Yes give the new pup time to get used to his new home :) my puppy was like that too at first. And post pics !! :)

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Welcome to EBN!!!.

Lure Otis with treats, treats, treats.
Praise him each time when he does his business. This will associate doing his business as being a positive thing.

Please post pics when possible. I know there are forum technical issues preventing one from posting pics.

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
I was lucky Chumley was 90% toilet trained when I got him at 8 weeks ,but I would always carry him outside after meals stay there till he did what he had to and treat the goal achieved ,and as for going outside just put some fun toys on the grass and play at anytime through the day when it was nice I used to put down a blanket and pillow and lay outside and Chumley would enjoy the time with me outside too then when he was busy with his toys I'd pop back in and out

OP
M

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
thanks for some of the advice. I tried louring him with treats... buts he's too smart about it. its like he know we are up to something. and as for standing there until he does his business... sometimes its like a 1/2 hour.. is that normal?

thanks again i'll try to post pic's later...

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Maybe try using a leash to help him understand what you're wanting. Also, reward with a treat as soon as he goes potty and hopefully that will motivate him to go a little more quickly.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He should be on a leash while potty training. I always gave a command of "hurry hurry" and they knew it was potty time not play time. once they get that the command means they have to go, you can try unleashing, but until they get the hang of it, always leash.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He should be on a leash while potty training. I always gave a command of "hurry hurry" and they knew it was potty time not play time. once they get that the command means they have to go, you can try unleashing, but until they get the hang of it, always leash.

I agree with the above. I did say do pee or potty, but it's the same idea. Potty training on leash. No playing until they go potty, and reward with treat when they do go.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… use a leash, and then when he goes potty allow him to play. I used treats to get my guys in the house, I still have to bribe Wallygator sometimes… Lol

OP
M

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
we are thinking of building a box for him in the back yard so he can do his business... oh i also tried the leash thing doesn't work... i at least got him to poop outside now... it's the peeing thing that he still does inside.

mugginsmama

Apr 9, 2015
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly Mabella
When we got Molly, she was 11 weeks old and we were outside with her constantly. We confined her to one room and never sat down. The second we thought she was going to go, we scooped her up. It was awful but it gets better. She was little and we have steep stairs so we always carried her outside (still do..all 45 lbs of her because I'm afraid she'll fall down those stairs). Now she goes to the stairs and rolls over when we lean down to pick her up. Molly's very food motivated and will do anything for a treat....but maybe a toy your bully really likes?? Don't let him play with it inside and then use it to lure him outside?? The running around like a maniac and not going potty will get better also. Although mine still has a hard time focusing but she's still only 11 months old. It's definitely way better. I'd also give the treat when he goes outside and/or tons of affection and I did learn it has to be immediate. Or maybe bring him outside and then after potty, give him the toy. We don't have a yard so she's always on a leash but what everyone is saying totally makes sense.

Also, I got the Nature's Miracle carpet stuff which helps get that smell out. Maybe he's still going inside because the scent is there and it triggers him to go. She did that for a a long time and I didn't realize how that worked with the scent triggering. Eventually we closed off that area but later I found the Nature's Miracle. It must do something cause she didn't repeat pee.

Good luck. It'll definitely get better! Keep us posted!

OP
M

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
yea we have this de-oderizer soap cleaner from costco.. we clean his pee with it after. and it's supose to deter him from that area.. so then he goes in a different area... that little brat I tell you.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
yea we have this de-oderizer soap cleaner from costco.. we clean his pee with it after. and it's supose to deter him from that area.. so then he goes in a different area... that little brat I tell you.

It sounds like you are doing a great job. And your patience is wonderful, it will get better - I promise :) That little Otis, he'll come around.... then once he's outside it will be a fight to get him back in! LOL Haha.

When Tyson and I leave for a walk, he goes full speed ahead - on the way back home, all the sudden he's carrying a load of bricks, and just leisurely strolls. Like I don't know what he's up too, oh these guys! Love em' - stubborn & all.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hee hee! sorry, that is a very similar question to what we were asking ourselves when Lola was a puppy! stubborn little things arent they.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Be careful what you wish for. Bella rarely wants to come inside anymore. LOL! I used to have to carry her away from home so that she would walk toward home. Now, I have to drag her inside. :facepalm2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.