Adding a 2nd Bully???

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
So I've been wanting to get a 2nd bully for forever now (if it was up to me, I'd just have a house full of them but my hubby thinks otherwise haha). Barkley is 2.5 years old now and still loves to play...he's very social and loves any and every person and dog he meets so I would think he would love having a little brother or sister playmate! I think it's a great time to add one before Barkley gets any older and also I'm working from home now so have plenty of time to spend raising the new pup. I didn't know much about the breed when we got Barkley (we fell in love with him after seeing him at a pet store [emoji16]) but obviously I wouldn't trade him for anything because he has turned out to be the best dog I could have ever asked for! I knew bully's could have some health probs and poor Barkley sure has - we've had to have his palate shortened and he had cystine bladder stones that we had to get removed as well...so needless to say, I've done my research now on finding a reputable breeder who breeds for the love of Bulldogs and to better the breed instead of just making money! I want to make sure the next bully we get is as healthy as can be!

I believe I've found the perfect local breeder and after admiring the black and white bully's I've seen, I found out they will be breeding this color litter this summer so I've been begging my hubby to let us get a new baby! :) I have some questions though for those of you who have added a 2nd bully...I have no idea if I'd prefer another little boy or girl (if we even have a choice!) I've heard it's better to have a boy and a girl than 2 of each but Barkley has such a great personality - he's so happy go lucky and not aggressive at all with anything, he's just a big goofy sweetheart. If there's ever been an issue with another dog at the dog park he knows to just go submissive and be like "leave me alone I'm just trying to play" haha. So I wouldn't think the dominance thing would be an issue if we did get another male, especially since it would be a puppy...does anyone have any experience or advice with this?

Also, Barkley is crate trained and sleeps in his crate at night and stays in it when we aren't home so we will be doing the same with the new pup...I'm assuming they would each have their own separate crate and not share one, right?

Any other advice or suggestions on this is greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I just talked to Ruckus's breeder today and we're bringing a 2nd bully home May 31st. I'm super excited and envision angelic snuggles, but [MENTION=12277]RalphieBoy[/MENTION] can give you the flip side of that.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I have 2 now too. 2 boys. 5 mos old and just turned 3 mos old. Since they both still puppies they fight like how real brothers do lol. The younger one annoys the older one! There's times when they get along just fine as well, sometimes I asked myself what I gotten myself too?! But no regrets whatsoever! They're just too adorable. I love them so much!

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I have a boy and girl, they are only 7 weeks apart in age and we got them only 7 weeks time difference so there really was no issues with bringing the younger one home. They get along great, really bonded and hate being seperated. We have only the occasional time where one gets mad if the other takes a toy away. Other than that they get along really well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I've been wanting to get a 2nd bully for forever now (if it was up to me, I'd just have a house full of them but my hubby thinks otherwise haha). Barkley is 2.5 years old now and still loves to play...he's very social and loves any and every person and dog he meets so I would think he would love having a little brother or sister playmate! I think it's a great time to add one before Barkley gets any older and also I'm working from home now so have plenty of time to spend raising the new pup. I didn't know much about the breed when we got Barkley (we fell in love with him after seeing him at a pet store [emoji16]) but obviously I wouldn't trade him for anything because he has turned out to be the best dog I could have ever asked for! I knew bully's could have some health probs and poor Barkley sure has - we've had to have his palate shortened and he had cystine bladder stones that we had to get removed as well...so needless to say, I've done my research now on finding a reputable breeder who breeds for the love of Bulldogs and to better the breed instead of just making money! I want to make sure the next bully we get is as healthy as can be!

I believe I've found the perfect local breeder and after admiring the black and white bully's I've seen, I found out they will be breeding this color litter this summer so I've been begging my hubby to let us get a new baby! :) I have some questions though for those of you who have added a 2nd bully...I have no idea if I'd prefer another little boy or girl (if we even have a choice!) I've heard it's better to have a boy and a girl than 2 of each but Barkley has such a great personality - he's so happy go lucky and not aggressive at all with anything, he's just a big goofy sweetheart. If there's ever been an issue with another dog at the dog park he knows to just go submissive and be like "leave me alone I'm just trying to play" haha. So I wouldn't think the dominance thing would be an issue if we did get another male, especially since it would be a puppy...does anyone have any experience or advice with this?

Also, Barkley is crate trained and sleeps in his crate at night and stays in it when we aren't home so we will be doing the same with the new pup...I'm assuming they would each have their own separate crate and not share one, right?

Any other advice or suggestions on this is greatly appreciated!!!

Well, you know my answer... :D Try to get a female as opposite gender tend to get along better and yes, they will need their own crates. if you do end up with two males, there are plenty of members here with two boys and they can help you along the way

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
We have three crates for our two pups. They do all of their day time sleeping together, and any travelling they go in the same crate but we put them in their own for night time sleeping to give them space, although our two would prefer to be together.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks so much for the info everyone!! We decided to go for it and put down a deposit on the litter we want...they're not breeding them til May or June so we're gonna have to wait until September or October for the new pup - I don't know how I'm going to wait that long, I'm not a very patient person!! Haha. But I know it'll be worth it!

We will have the 3rd pick of the litter and I think we're leaning toward a female if that's an option for our pick. I've also been thinking of the idea of getting a play pen type thing to put them in together if we needed to during the day and then letting them sleep in their own crates at night...but I don't know if we will even have enough room for all that! At least we have plenty of time to figure it all out...Ahhhhhh I'm so excited!!! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.