dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As most know we've been blessed with a little girl who has taken up most of the attention in our home. The only real problem we're going through is Buster has suddenly starting coughing in the middle of the night always around 3 or 4 a.m. He's starts to cough like 2 or 3 times and then spits up phlegm all over the place. It all started this last weekend. I initially thought it was empty stomach syndrome because he has had it before but without the cough now once he starts coughing it's persistent and lasts an hour or more...We've been giving him rice cakes before bed but this morning right after 3 a.m. he started coughing and we get worried to feed him because Monday night he threw up his entire dinner from the night before.

This has never happened before with the coughing and it doesn't happen at all for the rest of the day. Do you think it's his nerves? or allergies? or maybe I should call his doc. It really sucks when something like this happens because you can't concentrate on anything.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
i would call the vet. If it was just coughing, I would think that it could be allergies, but throwing up his dinner from the night before is weird. Hugs to Buster.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor Buster. If you think you've ruled out everything else. Which sounds like you have with the empty belly, etc. I would maybe take him in, have his lungs looked at, maybe he has an infection or the allergies could be causing post nasal drip and making him cough. I don't think its nerves, but you just never know. Do you have any natural local honey on hand? Give him a spoonful, its great for allergies (has to be local though) and also helps soothe the throat. I know exactly how you feel, I've been a mess lately in silence bc Tyson is having some tummy issues I think. But we recently switched to raw, so I'm hoping its his body adjusting to it. We started probiotics again too, so hope that helps.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Poor sweet Buster. I hope he feels better. I would definitely take him to the vet.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maude has not vomited, but she was having a "phlegm" sounding cough. I gave her a good squirt out of the plastic lemon-and cleared up phlegm.I did put my ear to her side, and it didn't sound in her lungs. She was not impressed with the taste! I hope Buster boy has nothing serious.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Poor Buster. If you think you've ruled out everything else. Which sounds like you have with the empty belly, etc. I would maybe take him in, have his lungs looked at, maybe he has an infection or the allergies could be causing post nasal drip and making him cough. I don't think its nerves, but you just never know. Do you have any natural local honey on hand? Give him a spoonful, its great for allergies (has to be local though) and also helps soothe the throat. I know exactly how you feel, I've been a mess lately in silence bc Tyson is having some tummy issues I think. But we recently switched to raw, so I'm hoping its his body adjusting to it. We started probiotics again too, so hope that helps.
Jessica, make sure you give a plain pepcid (famotadine) with the evening meal. I found that Brutus was spitting up in the evening after I switched him to the raw, and this has helped. I also make sure I give a snack in the evening, cut up apple or something like that because their tummies aren't as full as it is with kibble.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Jessica, make sure you give a plain pepcid (famotadine) with the evening meal. I found that Brutus was spitting up in the evening after I switched him to the raw, and this has helped. I also make sure I give a snack in the evening, cut up apple or something like that because their tummies aren't as full as it is with kibble.

Yes, he has been getting pepcid with every meal since his surgery. I started probiotics last night and had to stop pepcid, bc the pepcid will suppress the probiotics, but it has really helped him (pepcid) I'm just praying & praying that I permanently fix his belly issues. Now, I'm using my own experience & knowledge with him on how's he's been lately... I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I'm gonna give it a full week on the probiotics to see if I notice improvement. If nothing, then to the vet we go. Ugh. I know his stomach has been a mess since the socks incident. The raw is suppose to great for digestion, and it also has probiotics in it, but maybe not enough? IDK... but I am glad to hear we're not the only ones with some spit ups, he had some bile come up, and yesterday there was a very small amount of vomit. But he's only been on raw for 9 days so far. Like full, all raw.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry, Phil...I'm thinking it could be combo of empty tummy
and allergies (hoping) I know Cami's having problems and she doesn't
normally. Keep us updated, keeping y'all & Buster in prayers <3

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm so sorry, Phil...I'm thinking it could be combo of empty tummy
and allergies (hoping) I know Cami's having problems and she doesn't
normally. Keep us updated, keeping y'all & Buster in prayers <3

Are we all having this coughing up bile/phelgm issues? What the heck is going on I wonder.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Are we all having this coughing up bile/phelgm issues? What the heck is going on I wonder.

I think we may be, it is spring time. :(

Thank you for the honey tip. :D

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I would want him checked out by the vet, Phil. It could "just" be allergies but I'd want to make sure it wasn't something else like an upper respiratory infection. Hugs and kisses to our little "king" and let us know how he's doing!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Don't know, Jessica, it IS weird.

Cami rarely ever throws up and rarely, trying to clear
her throat, etc, all of which she's been doing a month
now. She seems well enough otherwise so am keeping
an eye on her and increased her Benedryl but am going
to try another allergy med, researching now.

Praying over all our beloved bullies!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Don't know, Jessica, it IS weird.

Cami rarely ever throws up and rarely, trying to clear
her throat, etc, all of which she's been doing a month
now. She seems well enough otherwise so am keeping
an eye on her and increased her Benedryl but am going
to try another allergy med, researching now.

Praying over all our beloved bullies!

Yep, Tyson has had a few bile spit ups. He also vomited yesterday (small) and has been doing alot of lip smacking. I was thinking our issue is the switch to raw. Ugh, its like playing detective I tell you! All I know is that it stresses me OUT when's not 100%. Yes, praying for all our babies as well!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I would have Buster checked for the coughing. The only experience I've had with coughing (besides kennel cough) was with a 2 year old boxer who woke up coughing every morning--the rest of the day she was fine. The vet diagnosed her with cardiomyopathy and we started her on heart meds right away. Not saying this is your issue, of course, but a cough could be a number of serious things. Keep us posted!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.