After doggy daycare

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hee hee! I'm considering this again for Truman since he's so unruly - he needs something to get rid of his energy!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I was thinking about having Belly go once in awhile when she gets a little older. Looks like a good idea!

L

Lucy-licious

This is so unfair Doggydaycare?? I wish we had such things here, my vet even stopped her puppy classes :(

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] Do you recommend doggy day care? Did it improve Stiggy's behavior?

I am curious because, as I wrote before, I am considering it for Truman for some extra exercise and stimulation during the day when I am busy.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@jillh10 - For me and my bf, it's a lifesaver! We initially wanted him in a daycare so that he can make friends and learn proper social behaviour. We heard from various dog training shows on tv that it's possible for them to get depressed and anxious if they don't get enough attention. So with both of us working full time, we thought it was a fantastic idea.

But lately, I've been dropping him off on days when it seems like he needs to release some energy. For example, there was a time when he stayed up until 2am just chewing on my comforter and pillow sham ... while I was still using them! And only a week ago he was a bundle of energy and slept late again and woke up only to bark at himself when he saw his reflection on the mirror at 5am :angry:. So yes, if you mean it improves their behaviour in that they're not so rambunctious because they spent their day playing with other doggies, I highly recommend it. Linus will most likely have a blast if he attends occasionally too.

But, of course, you need to do some research on the doggy daycare. It's best if you see the place beforehand and meet the caretakers while bringing Baby T along. Make sure they screen all dogs as well. Mine actually declined a black lab right before our appointment due to aggression issues.

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] Thanks for the advice. There is a doggy daycare in my area that comes highly recommended and requires a visit to see how the dog interacts and behaves with other dogs in order to place him or her in the right day care group or deny the dog all together. I liked that idea a lot. It's also a kennel free day care (unless there's a problem) so they dogs are allowed to hang out and interact but are supervised at all times.

I am looking for exactly what you describe. If you've seen my previous thread, Baby T has taken to getting up in the middle of the night and barking and has been generally unruly. I worry he isn't getting the stimulation he needs and think this might do him wonders a couple days a week, just to burn off some of that puppy energy and to socialize with other dogs.

I am definitely going to pay the daycare and visit and bring Truman along. How many times a week do you typically take Stiggy? Have there been anything habits or things that have happened that you did not like? I appreciate your advice!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] - Stig's daycare is also crate-free, but fully supervised, which is such a great feature. He usually goes once in the middle of the week unless we find that he's being a menace more than usual. If more than once, then never consecutive days so that he can have a breather in between. You'll find that it may take him a few days to recuperate, at first, after a day of fun. Right now Stig needs a couple of days to relax before he returns to hyper mode again.

I don't think he really picked up any bad habits at all. He's starting to jump to say hello, but I'm guessing that's because we haven't taught him to stop yet. Also he owner did mention that he's quite a humper, which I've never seen him do here! He also got into a mini-altercation with a german sheppard. But it was mostly Stig's fault because like [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]'s Vegas, he didn't realize that he was in the g.s.'s bubble. He tends to pick a 'favourite' for the day and follow them around everywhere. From what the owner said, he usually picks someone his size to be his bff for the day, but on that day he chose the g.s. who was 4 times bigger than him and didn't appreciate the audience. So the gs nipped a little as a warning and Stig had a 1cm long scratch. But Stig didn't have any hard feelings at all because he still gets really excited when he realizes that he's spending the day there.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I:heart::heart::heart: Daycare.. Dozer and i jsut spent 3 days there and he came home and passed out. ( I may be a little partial though give this is also where I recieve a paycheck)

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
This is so unfair Doggydaycare?? I wish we had such things here, my vet even stopped her puppy classes :(

[MENTION=1648]Lucylambchop[/MENTION], open your own! that would be fun.

[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION], butler isn't very hyper, but we could always meet up for a playdate!

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=1648]Lucylambchop[/MENTION], open your own! that would be fun.

Your right it would be fun and I wont pretend I didnt think that myself yesterday when I read how much fun all the puppies have there, but I wouldnt have a clue where to begin and also am not sure I know enough about dogs x

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.