RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry, but I'm with @nycbullymama totally here. It may be convenient for you both, but not for the pup.

The point of them staying with the breeder until at the very least 8 weeks is to socialize them. It's a crucial time for them to learn proper behaviors from their litter mates. Things like how to play, and bite inhibition.

There's a reason why it's illegal to sell puppies in NY before they're 8 weeks old- they need that time with their mom and siblings.

I'm gonna be blunt here, I don't like your breeder. She knows this and is still willing to give her up at a ridiculously young age. Very wrong of her.

Google what separating a puppy that young does to their social development, and what problems it can cause down the road. Don't let her talk you into taking her at 6.5 weeks.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I am waiting to hear back from my fiance, as I have texted him and told him what I thought. I think we are going to wait to get her, it's best for all of us anyways. I could get more shopping done, and I would want her to get more sociable before I went to get her. Thank you for all of your feedback!! Helped me make my decision :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know you are super excited to get your baby and I would be too, but 8 weeks is the law in almost every state and there are reasons for it.

Many breeders will give them up earlier so they don't have to do the work, (shame!) but I can tell you they learn so much during those two weeks from their litter mates and adults it really does make a difference.

I'm not usually a judgemental person but something bothers me badly-- what breeder plans a vacation when they have pups? That to me is a huge red flag.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely wait until 8 weeks of age, that is the bare minimum a pup should be taken away from their mom and litter mates. I will never ever let any of mine go before then, and I really prefer them to stay until 12 weeks of age to be honest.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I know you are super excited to get your baby and I would be too, but 8 weeks is the law in almost every state and there are reasons for it.

Many breeders will give them up earlier so they don't have to do the work, (shame!) but I can tell you they learn so much during those two weeks from their litter mates and adults it really does make a difference.

I'm not usually a judgemental person but something bothers me badly-- what breeder plans a vacation when they have pups? That to me is a huge red flag.

AGREED… I'm NOT a breeder, but we did have one litter of bully pups w/Bella. There is NO way in HELL I would of scheduled a vacation before those pups went to their forever homes… heck we had trouble scheduling errands at that time because we always wanted to make sure that someone was home at ALL times because of baby Wellie.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.