xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
We all know that I have been really anxious to go and pick up my little baby, Tali. She will be 8 weeks on April 30th, which I was planning on heading down there on the 28th so I could go on my day off of work since I do not have much PTO left. Anyways, Chris has informed me that he will be on vacation from the 24th-29th. That being said, he ALSO told me they will be ready in two weeks. I could go down there on the 21st to go get her which is my day off. If I did, she would be 6 weeks and 5 days old. I know this is too young to be taken from the mother, however I trust Chris and I think they would be full weaned at this time. But should I just go down next month to grab her? Just makes me sad I would have to wait another week. What are the cons of taking puppies earlier? We may allow her to have ONE litter before we get her fixed.. Would she neglect her puppies since she was taken so early? :confused:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Are you going away on his vacation? She is too young to go vacay. The breeder may not let you take her that early. Since you have had a bullie pup, they might. Most people wait until 8/12 weeks, but I am sure there are so many that go that early. We shall ask [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm thinking that's too young as well. I would wait, and see what David & Lisa have to say as well.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Are you going away on his vacation? She is too young to go vacay. The breeder may not let you take her that early. Since you have had a bullie pup, they might. Most people wait until 8/12 weeks, but I am sure there are so many that go that early. We shall ask @Davidh and @bullmama

They are going on vacation and he's having a sitter come in and watch any puppies left over. But he said they look and should be ready in two weeks. He has sent me videos and they are walking really well, look good. But I am still cautious about it and want some feedback.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I have bred dogs, but not bulldogs. This is only my opinion-but if you are NOT going away, I think the pup would be better in your hands, rather than a babysitter. It will be your child, and you will be sure to be diligent with ever little thing! It also would depend on how well they are eating on their own. Surely the others will chime in soon, as they can tell you for sure, which would be best. I don't always trust "babysitters!"

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The point of them staying with the breeder until at the very least 8 weeks is to socialize them. It's a crucial time for them to learn proper behaviors from their litter mates. Things like how to play, and bite inhibition.

There's a reason why it's illegal to sell puppies in NY before they're 8 weeks old- they need that time with their mom and siblings.

I'm gonna be blunt here, I don't like your breeder. She knows this and is still willing to give her up at a ridiculously young age. Very wrong of her.

Google what separating a puppy that young does to their social development, and what problems it can cause down the road. Don't let her talk you into taking her at 6.5 weeks.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Well, I have bred dogs, but not bulldogs. This is only my opinion-but if you are NOT going away, I think the pup would be better in your hands, rather than a babysitter. It will be your child, and you will be sure to be diligent with ever little thing! It also would depend on how well they are eating on their own. Surely the others will chime in soon, as they can tell you for sure, which would be best. I don't always trust "babysitters!"

I was actually thinking the SAME thing you were!! :sneaky2: She's my soon to be baby and I don't know if I could trust a babysitter. haha. I want her home a.s.a.p but I also want to do the right thing, I would hate to bring her home so early and then everyone tell me AFTER the fact of what could go wrong, and make me worry.

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
The point of them staying with the breeder until at the very least 8 weeks is to socialize them. It's a crucial time for them to learn proper behaviors from their litter mates. Things like how to play, and bite inhibition.

There's a reason why it's illegal to sell puppies in NY before they're 8 weeks old- they need that time with their mom and siblings.

I'm gonna be blunt here, I don't like your breeder. She knows this and is still willing to give her up at a ridiculously young age. Very wrong of her.

Google what separating a puppy that young does to their social development, and what problems it can cause down the road. Don't let her talk you into taking her at 6.5 weeks.

He wasn't necessarily talking me into it, but he did give me the option and told me the run down of things about how he was going on vacation and out of town and having a babysitter watch them. Then told me they would be ready but I can come later as well. Which is why I would like feedback so I can do the right thing. My fiance say's he got Bella (his Chihuahua) at a very young age, she IS fine but you know that it's a case by case basis. I would want the best for her. I will talk to my fiance when h get's home... I think it would be best to wait. Thank you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm not coming down on you, April, but your breeder is wrong to sell the puppies at that young an age.

Also, in NY the laws are getting tougher on breeders (thank god). I won't go into all of them, but at least half would now be considered Pet Dealers and not Breeders.

I'm glad to hear your fiances dog didn't have any issues, but mine does. And I got Blue at 7.3 weeks old. He's the kind of dog that would have benefited from staying with his litter mates for a few more weeks.
All I'm saying is why chance it, you know?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

I agree with Lynn. I think the puppy would be better off with you. I had a litter of boxer pups once and I let one of the babies go at six weeks because the family had two adult boxers and were very knowledgable. Personally, two of my bully puppies were 6 weeks old when I brought them home and they were perfectly fine. I only took them that early because if I hadn't taken them, someone else would have taken them the next day. I see you have Jovi at home? I always feel better when they go early where there are dogs already, but either way should be fine--just my opinion!

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I agree with Lynn. I think the puppy would be better off with you. I had a litter of boxer pups once and I let one of the babies go at six weeks because the family had two adult boxers and were very knowledgable. Personally, two of my bully puppies were 6 weeks old when I brought them home and they were perfectly fine. I only took them that early because if I hadn't taken them, someone else would have taken them the next day. I see you have Jovi at home? I always feel better when they go early where there are dogs already, but either way should be fine--just my opinion!

Yes, I have two dogs. Bella is a Chihuahua and we got Jovi when she was 15 weeks, but Bella taught her everything she knows. Like when to "bug" her to play, and when to settle down... even helped her potty train.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

Good point [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]! I didn't know that it's illegal in New York to sell puppies before 8 weeks. That's good, but I don't know how in the world it could be enforced. I know that puppies are supposed to learn bite inhibition from their siblings. But I got Winnie at 8 weeks and she was by far the worst biter I've ever had! Lol--she didn't learn bite inhibition till she was 4 months old! The two puppies I got at 6 weeks didn't bite much. Just my VERY limited experience!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm gonna reiterate this:

It's illegal to sell puppies in NY (as in most states) before they're 8 weeks old. What people are condoning, and what the breeder is doing is illegal.
These laws weren't enacted to make it tough for the consumer, they were put into place to protect the dogs from unethical breeders.

Everyone has an opinion, the fact is, there's been research done that shows taking pupps away from their litter (whether or not you have other dogs isn't the point) at a very young age can be detrimental to the dog.
Our own anecdotal evidence doesn't make a difference in the larger picture.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All three of my bulldogs were from the same breeder and she will not release any of her pups till they are 9 weeks.... so based on her 30+ years of breeding, showing and judging and my vet agreeing with her process -- I lean to waiting and getting your new baby. I am sure the sitter is someone the breeder trust and a week will make a difference to the pup, but just an inconvenience to you as to when you get her :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] she could of been worse. she could of developed noise issues, socialization problems with strangers, there's just a ton of things that could of gone wrong.

honestly, i'm not talking out of my behind- it's very important to keep the pups with their litter for as long as possible.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.