Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I have a few questions regarding Tali

I'm gonna reiterate this:

It's illegal to sell puppies in NY (as in most states) before they're 8 weeks old. What people are condoning, and what the breeder is doing is illegal.
    These laws weren't enacted to make it tough for the consumer, they were put into place to protect the dogs from unethical breeders.

Everyone has an opinion, the fact is, there's been research done that shows taking pupps away from their litter (whether or not you have other dogs isn't the point) at a very young age can be detrimental to the dog.
    Our own anecdotal evidence doesn't make a difference in the larger picture.

2. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

All three of my bulldogs were from the same breeder and she will not release any of her pups till they are 9 weeks.... so based on her 30+ years of breeding, showing and judging and my vet agreeing with her process -- I lean to waiting and getting your new baby. I am sure the sitter is someone the breeder trust and a week will make a difference to the pup, but just an inconvenience to you as to when you get her
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Donnam she could of been worse. she could of developed noise issues, socialization problems with strangers, there's just a ton of things that could of gone wrong.

honestly, i'm not talking out of my behind- it's very important to keep the pups with their litter for as long as possible.

6. Likes madie4589 liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry, but I'm with @nycbullymama totally here. It may be convenient for you both, but not for the pup.

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    The point of them staying with the breeder until at the very least 8 weeks is to socialize them. It's a crucial time for them to learn proper behaviors from their litter mates. Things like how to play, and bite inhibition.

There's a reason why it's illegal to sell puppies in NY before they're 8 weeks old- they need that time with their mom and siblings.

I'm gonna be blunt here, I don't like your breeder. She knows this and is still willing to give her up at a ridiculously young age. Very wrong of her.

Google what separating a puppy that young does to their social development, and what problems it can cause down the road. Don't let her talk you into taking her at 6.5 weeks.

8. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

I am waiting to hear back from my fiance, as I have texted him and told him what I thought. I think we are going to wait to get her, it's best for all of us anyways. I could get more shopping done, and I would want her to get more sociable before I went to get her. Thank you for all of your feedback!! Helped me make my decision

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I know you are super excited to get your baby and I would be too, but 8 weeks is the law in almost every state and there are reasons for it.

Many breeders will give them up earlier so they don't have to do the work, (shame!) but I can tell you they learn so much during those two weeks from their litter mates and adults it really does make a difference.

I'm not usually a judgemental person but something bothers me badly-- what breeder plans a vacation when they have pups? That to me is a huge red flag.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I would definitely wait until 8 weeks of age, that is the bare minimum a pup should be taken away from their mom and litter mates. I will never ever let any of mine go before then, and I really prefer them to stay until 12 weeks of age to be honest.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

12. Likes RiiSi, nycbullymama, ddnene, ChrisRN liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    I know you are super excited to get your baby and I would be too, but 8 weeks is the law in almost every state and there are reasons for it.

Many breeders will give them up earlier so they don't have to do the work, (shame!) but I can tell you they learn so much during those two weeks from their litter mates and adults it really does make a difference.

I'm not usually a judgemental person but something bothers me badly-- what breeder plans a vacation when they have pups? That to me is a huge red flag.
    AGREED… I'm NOT a breeder, but we did have one litter of bully pups w/Bella. There is NO way in HELL I would of scheduled a vacation before those pups went to their forever homes… heck we had trouble scheduling errands at that time because we always wanted to make sure that someone was home at ALL times because of baby Wellie.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

14. Likes ChrisRN liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads