Does your Bully scratch up your wood floors?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
We've lived in this house for three years, and the family room carpet wasn't in perfect condition 3 yrs. ago. So we're thinking about ripping it out and putting in something else. I like wood flooring, or we could do ceramic tile, which is very popular down here. (But not my favorite). We've been told that hardwood flooring doesn't do well here because of the super dry climate. So I'm thinking about the laminate stuff that looks like wood, but I've heard it scratches easily. So if anyone happens to have this type of flooring, how does it hold up with Bully toenails?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have an older house so we have oak floors, I have had no trouble with the dogs scratching them. I am not sure of the laminate. One thing is that it can't be re-finished too often because of it being so thin. I wouldn't think the dry air would bother hard wood floors, your wood furniture is okay right? And you keep your house livable as far as temperature. I know the heat and dry can do damage on some things, but look into it more before you decided.

I was warned that in Florida you shouldn't have wood floors because of moisture and termites....I couldn't tell you how many homes here have them and no troubles at all. Ours are over 40 years old and in excellent condition.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have laminate wood floors in my entire downstairs and I haven't had any issues with the dogs scratching it. The only reason I would say it's bad for dogs is that it will warp from moisture. So there is a little warped area where my beagle likes to have little accidents from time to time and where the dog water bowl is. I dry the dog water area multiple times a day and I have a placemat under the bowls but they are BOTH SO messy when they drink so when I am not home the puddles just sit there which is the problem. I say tile all the way! And not with light grout, do a darker grout! My mom and my mother-in-law have light grout and its a PAIN to scrub clean! The laminate shows every little spot too, so if you drip water and it drys there you can see a water spot. Drives me nuts!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh and they have some really nice linoleum samples that I saw at Home Depot that they made look just like wood. It looked so nice! We are considering doing that when we replace the floor downstairs because linoleum is SO easy to clean, I love the look of wood, it won't warp and it isn't so cold like tile.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Oh and they have some really nice linoleum samples that I saw at Home Depot that they made look just like wood. It looked so nice! We are considering doing that when we replace the floor downstairs because linoleum is SO easy to clean, I love the look of wood, it won't warp and it isn't so cold like tile.

My mom went with a wood look linoleum, it went on as individual stripes instead of squares and all of her friends thought it was real wood. We have tile in our family room (it was an addition and just a slab under it) and we have no troubles. I prefer a rug down, but then Bella like to accident on carpet, so we don't

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
We have vinyl (or linolium) in our kitchen and bathrooms that is just a single sheet and it looks like hardwood and I love it. [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]:The only reason my oak furniture has survived is because I lemon oil the heck out of it about twice a year and it drinks it in like a sponge.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have these floors all over my house. The only problem I would say is that they are a LOT of work. See, I am kinda obsessive about my floors. I have tried everything to keep them clean. iRobots, steam mops.... the only thing that REALLY works is a good old fashioned mop, 2 children and two towels drying it off as I go. :up: I say this because I do not like streaks. If you mop these floors, there is always streaks. The steam mop does okay.... but not completely streak free. Before I realized I had two capable dryers (i.e. the kids) it would take me all day to sweep, mop and dry my floors. So depending on exactly HOW much you plan on having, you should think about this. I have it in 80% of my home.

Oh and to answer you question, no problem on the bully nails. :)

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
I have them and Lola has scratched them a good bit. I hate cleaning them and they also looked streaked (same as what [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said) all the time. I do have a darker cherry so it shows everything and if it is wet outside (grass from dew or rain) you see dog prints everywhere! Other than that...love them :-). I do sweep/swifter every other day and it is crazy how much dust/hair I sweep up. I now have them everywhere except two bedrooms and kitchen. If I had it to do all over again I would NOT do the cherry wood (dark) but would do wood floors.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I had laminate at one time.. it held up good, but I found it VERY noisy with the dogs. What I have.. is a vinyl "wood" floor that looks SO much like wood it's unreal - brand name Karndean.. and it's SO quiet with the dogs nails! Here's the website Karndean US Residential | Products

and here is a photo of my floor.. you really CANNOT tell by looking at it. it has the grooves and everything!

ry%3D400

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Yeah I had laminate and didnt have any problems with it scratching. I did have warped places from when Silva was a baby. I hate cleaning so I would just wash it with a damp mop and it dried on its own, yes it had streaks!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
[MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] those floors look great...I would have never known they were NOT wood floors.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree, those floors look great, and I bet it does not have streaks like the laminate! :angry:

Wolfjen50

Jan 18, 2011
Okaloosa county
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ditto to LisaRN, those floors are awesome!! I have to look into those myself :up:

We have wood flooring now and Winston has scratched those up real well. We have to get the floors re-done and my hubby wants to go with carpet.

In the past we had laminate flooring and it was absolutley great! It stood up to all kinds of abuse and did not scratch up. But it was difficult for the dogs to get up good traction when they tried to run............:evil:;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.