Bravecto against ticks

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
As spring is soon here, Castor will need something against ticks, and we have now been recommended a fairly new product called Bravecto. Reviews are mostly positive, and I'd like to ask if anyone here has tried this product, and if so, what your comments on Bravecto are.

Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
had not heard of it before so i have no experience

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I only just saw a tv commercial last night/had never heard of it. I don't like to try "new" things-rather wait and see.......

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes, Blue and Wellie are on it.

It's an oral medication that requires a prescription from your vet. I like it because it's good for up to 12 weeks (8 weeks against lone start tick.) Blue threw up the first time we used it, Wellie had no side effects. I like the product.

Only thing is, since it only protects for 8 weeks against the lone star tick which we do have here, I'm not sure if I want to use it again. On the other hand, whenever we're out in grassy areas or woods, we still check them over for ticks so it's not a deal breaker. Still, I want them protected the entire time.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, Blue and Wellie are on it.

It's an oral medication that requires a prescription from your vet. I like it because it's good for up to 12 weeks (8 weeks against lone start tick.) Blue threw up the first time we used it, Wellie had no side effects. I like the product.

Only thing is, since it only protects for 8 weeks against the lone star tick which we do have here, I'm not sure if I want to use it again. On the other hand, whenever we're out in grassy areas or woods, we still check them over for ticks so it's not a deal breaker. Still, I want them protected the entire time.

Good to hear you like it. I like the fact that the side effects seem mild compared to other products, so will talk to our vet about a prescription.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm glad some of you use Bravecto. I gave it to Bella on Tuesday and she threw up a couple of times since. This is her 2nd time getting Bravecto, and the first time I gave it to her, I don't think she got sick.

Today she's at the vet for daycare. They're going to watch her, so I'm not worried at all. But, I'm wondering if I should use something else next time. I don't want her vomiting, obviously. Maybe I'll go back to a topical medicine.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I've heard that there are several reports out there of pets dying within 24 hours of taking this pill! Please be careful and do lots of research, there seems to be so many negative side effects and deaths with these new products - trifexis, Bravecto, etc. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've heard that there are several reports out there of pets dying within 24 hours of taking this pill! Please be careful and do lots of research, there seems to be so many negative side effects and deaths with these new products - trifexis, Bravecto, etc. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there-

I've heard of one story circulating on FB of a dog named Duncan who died 24 hours after taking Bravecto.
Since then, I've searched, and searched, and searched for more info. but couldn't find any. This was the only story I heard about. But even with this, there just wasn't any info. other than a pic and and a FB post. Nothing was confirmed.

If you've heard of other cases, please let me know.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi there-

I've heard of one story circulating on FB of a dog named Duncan who died 24 hours after taking Bravecto.
Since then, I've searched, and searched, and searched for more info. but couldn't find any. This was the only story I heard about. But even with this, there just wasn't any info. other than a pic and and a FB post. Nothing was confirmed.

If you've heard of other cases, please let me know.

I'm not certain on the actual details, just have seen some stuff out there that our breeder we are getting our new puppy from posted as a precaution- I figure better safe than sorry, especially with all the horrible stories on Trifexis! I have always used K9 Advantix II for fleas and Heartgard for heartworm - the breeder also recommends Sentinel as an option....I just wanted to throw out there what I had heard and have been given the advice to stay away from these new products since there is not much research out there on them and to stick with the products that have been around forever instead!

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
I have been using it for over a year. About $45 a tablet. No issues that I have noticed.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm not certain on the actual details, just have seen some stuff out there that our breeder we are getting our new puppy from posted as a precaution- I figure better safe than sorry, especially with all the horrible stories on Trifexis! I have always used K9 Advantix II for fleas and Heartgard for heartworm - the breeder also recommends Sentinel as an option....I just wanted to throw out there what I had heard and have been given the advice to stay away from these new products since there is not much research out there on them and to stick with the products that have been around forever instead!

I too would be very interested in knowing of confirmed studies on dangerous side effects of Bravecto, so please let us know if your breeder has more info about such studies or confirmed cases! Bravecto has become very popular here and when we got the prescription they said at the vet hospital that there were no known side effects apart from the occasional vomiting.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I too would be very interested in knowing of confirmed studies on dangerous side effects of Bravecto, so please let us know if your breeder has more info about such studies or confirmed cases! Bravecto has become very popular here and when we got the prescription they said at the vet hospital that there were no known side effects apart from the occasional vomiting.

Thats the same thing my vet said.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.