9 month old "puppy" not sleeping through the night - HELP!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am having a major problem with Truman that is very frustrating.

He is 9 months and refuses to sleep through the night. He usually gets up barking at least once, around 3 AM.

He doesn't have to potty since I rarely wake up to an accident and have started picking up his water early in the evening.

I walk him and stimulate him before bedtime so he's tired. We exercise and play but he still seems to get up in the middle of the night.

His crate is in a quiet corner of the kitchen, I cover it when it's time for bed. I do not come downstairs when he barks. I ignore it but it's very irritating.

He usually goes to bed around 11:30 PM and gets up around 6:30 AM - so it's not like he's in bed for 9 hours.

Does any one have ANY suggestions about why this might be happening and how I can reclaim my night's sleep?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh my goodness, sounds like you are doing everything right. I don't have anything additional to add, just wanted to say I hope this ends soon and that someone else has better advice!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I may not be of any encouragement...Bella (18mos) still gets up almost nightly. It has just been the past few weeks, she has slept through, or at least I have slept through her whines. She usually has to go potty but sometimes she just gets up. We live in a 2 story, so I have to get up to let her out....hope you have better luck soon.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva will be 2 on the 13th and she still gets up every night! We go to bed around 10pm and she goes out at 3-4am she has to pee and jumps off my bed and whines to go out, then comes back to bed until 730am when I get up. I dont think I am any help!

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy wakes in the night too now 4:30 every mornin. Chris gets up with her lets her out then brings her back upstairs to her room. We live in a victorian mid row terrace house so cant leave her too long barking at that hour cos she'll wake the neighbours.
She does go back to bed but wakes up again at 5:30 ish not for anything except a hug with daddy on the couch.
Chris is always so tired but we keep on hoping that as she gets bigger she'll sleep better until then Zzzz

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm no help, i've had similar issues and i've just gotten use to them...

Bullet (8.5 months old) sleeps either in my bed or on his bed on the floor beside mine. he wakes me up almost every night around 3 or 4am. i just assume he must have to go outside so we do. he does potty and then goes right back to his bed and sleeps until about 6:30am...then he jumps up acting like he is starving to death. :crazy:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hmm, it's good to know I am not alone!

This is something new for Truman because I know he CAN sleep through the night without going potty and I don't want to reinforce the idea that he can just get up when he pleases if he wants attention. This is also something totally new for me since my other two bullies basically had to be dragged out of their crates in the morning because they love resting!

I know he can physically do it so I am sure it's something behavioral. Or maybe a growth spurt? Or teen angst? I'm just not sure.

I've actually considered letting him on the bed to keep him quiet but it sounds like, from the discussion above, that won't curb the problem!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wanted to give this a quick bump since it seemed like so many others are having similar problems.

I ended up doing my absolute best to get Truman more exercise before bed and added giving him a Kong with a little peanut butter in it so it keeps him happy and busy, reaffirming the crate is a good place to be.

So far, so good - he's slept through the night the past two nights for 7-8 hours, which is all I can ask for at this point.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] ...... Do you have something that makes noise during the night like a water softener recharging or sumptin like that?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] ...... Do you have something that makes noise during the night like a water softener recharging or sumptin like that?

Like something startling him while he's sleeping? Not really, unless Linus' snoring is bugging him. Their crates are in the eating area of the kitchen so it's pretty quiet.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's always been a light sleeper. He sleeps on my bed now, but when he did sleep in the dining area I always heard him moving around in his crate once or twice in the middle of the night. But he never made noise to get our attention though.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Ice cube maker dumping a load of cubes???????? Ours can be rather loud depending on how full the bin is.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've never had this problem ... so all I could suggest is to put on the radio very quietly so that when he does wake up he has background noise. The other thing, as long as he doesn't rip stuffed toys apart, would be to get him a big toy/teddy bear so that he has a "body" to cuddle up to .....

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Bring him over to my house and let these two wild women wear him out! Every night after they've been out for the last time, they come in and they play sooooo wild for about 10 minutes, and then they drop over in their crates and sleep til around 7 am. We never hear a peep out of either of them all night.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.