Max playing too rude with 8yr old kid

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Hi, I need some advice.

Im trying to teach my 8yr old kid to play with Max, but Max all he wants is to bite him, he tried to do it with myself but I was able to control him.

My kid is a little be afraid now, he can not make him stop, he will only stop if I'm there, but he will not listen to my kid by itself.

Max is 9 weeks old,

Should I tell my kid to stop playing with him when I'm not there, but I'm afraid that Max will not learn to stop biting if I'm not there.

Any advice?

Thanks

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I'm surprised Max stops for you. Max is a 9 week old puppy. In my opinion stick with only when you are home. 9 week old puppy and a 8 year old kid is a bad combo without an adult always watching. Hang in there 5 months will go by quick. Takes time.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He's biting because he's a teething puppy-this will continue until he's 5-6 months old.
Get "Bitter Apple", and have your son spray it on their hands, feet and anywhere else Max likes to bite. This should stop it. Worked for us.

Also, freeze some chew toys and give those to him. It will help with the teething.

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Be sure to stay positive with Max as he plays. You want him to have a positive experience with kids and not resent them. Have your son fill Max's food dish and put his hands in the food as Max is eating to teach Max not to be possessive of his food.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Extremely common behavior for this age… keep chew toys at hand, nylabones, kong toys, etc… I would make sure to be around to supervise any and all playtime. He's teething terribly, and it will be over soon!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang.... redirect, freeze some toys and teach your son how to redirect his teething to a toy so they can learn to play together

OP
M

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thanks for the advice, now we feel a lot better knowing that is normal behavior. I'll keep an eye while they are outside playing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you have been given great advice from members above, the puppy stage is temporary and it will get better. I have 6 kids in my family all under the age of 7, they are all cousins. My Grandson is one of them, and he is at my house a lot. When I first brought my two guys home, I made sure to redirect him when they got nippy, I also handled their ears, touched their tails, I gave them treats and toys and took them back so they would be used to it, and I would give them their food bowls and take them away as they were eating, so they wouldn't be food aggressive. I also touched them and pet them when they were eating so they would be used to this if a child were to do it. I agree that children and puppies should always be supervised when playing together, and until you know how the dog will react to children. It's important to socialize your puppy with people, children and other dogs so they will grow up and be used to them and be comfortable around them. It's important that your dog be well behaved and gentle with your child, but its just as important to teach children how to treat animals, not to tease them, hurt them and when to respect that they need to be alone or sleep. Bullies are extremely loyal and loving dogs, and I'm sure they'll be close before you know it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How to Introduce Your Kids and Puppy

From the Editors of Exceptional Canine

Your kids have been clamoring for a puppy for a while. Now the moment has come, and you can’t wait to introduce your kids to your new puppy.

But don’t let your eagerness and your kids’ excitement keep you from laying the proper groundwork for what should be a long and joyous relationship. There are a number of steps you can take to make this a positive interaction.

Teach Kids to Respect Your Puppy

Like puppies, kids need boundaries. It’s up to you to establish how they’ll handle the family’s new addition. Consider these steps:

Lay ground rules. Remind kids to be gentle. Demonstrate by petting their forearms and heads as you would your puppy. Ask them to practice by stroking your forearm and head. Set a policy about how and when they can pick up your puppy, and think like a kid to determine any other regulations: Plenty of kids have been tempted to dress poor puppies in doll clothes, for example.

Ask for soft voices. Remind kids to talk in gentle, soothing voices, as they would to a baby. Your kids should never yell at your puppy, even if he makes a mistake. Explain that dogs can be startled by loud noises.

Establish space. Teach kids to respect your puppy’s space, especially at mealtimes. Even the best-natured puppies might bite if they feel threatened.

Teach patience. Remind kids to let the puppy come to them. Even the smallest child can spook a young dog if it reaches or grasps for the dog.
Make rough play off-limits. Tail-pulling and teasing are neither funny nor cute, and these behaviors can lead to your puppy establishing bad habits, such as jumping up. And holding a toy just out of your dog’s reach isn’t kind.

When Puppy Comes Home

Now that you’ve laid the groundwork, aim for a smooth homecoming. Try these steps:

Keep your home quiet and normal. Now is not the time to host a sleepover with a half-dozen shrieking preteens. Until your puppy settles in, avoid loud playdates or disruptions.

Introduce your puppy gradually. Let your puppy experience your home one room at a time.

Limit puppy-kid playtime. Keep interactions short and sweet -- between 15 and 30 minutes, two to three times a day. Explain that puppies need plenty of rest.

Supervise puppy-kid interaction. Always supervise interaction between your puppy and your kids, correcting behaviors as needed.
As you take the time to make this a positive experience for both your kids and your puppy, remember: The lessons you teach now will go a long way toward helping them bond for years to come.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Introducing kids to a new puppy

Kids and puppies have lots in common: They’re inquisitive, impatient, and easily excited! This is why it’s important to carefully supervise first encounters between a new puppy and your children. But the rewards are wonderful — a truly close bond and a lifelong love of dogs.
Follow these 10 steps for a happy relationship.

Until you’re sure that the puppy and the child know how to behave around each other, you should always be present. Stay in the background, but be observant and ready to step in if a situation looks like it’s going wrong.

Let the puppy nose his way to the kids, not the other way around. This can be very hard for children to understand. They can get excited when they see a dog and want to rush up and start petting it — which can provoke a reaction from the dog.

Teach your children that dogs have zones of space that should be respected. There’s a public zone, a social zone, and an intimate zone. You should not be in the intimate zone unless the dog has indicated that it’s okay with that.

Study canine body language. Like you, your child should know to stop play if she sees signs of dominance.

Encourage patience. Between eight and ten weeks, a new puppy is in what’s called a fearful period as he explores the world. Combine that with the fact that both children and puppies are easily excited, and the result can be misunderstandings that place both on the defensive. Slow, patient interactions leave room for everyone to learn what behavior feels fun and safe.

Model the way that you want your kids to approach their pup. Once they learn this at home, they’ll understand the safe way to approach others dogs, too.

Include the kids on your walks. Your child will help you teach the puppy to obey and follow your and your child’s lead. These early lessons will nurture and strengthen a healthy owner-dog relationship as both child and puppy mature.

Have your kids help you take care of the puppy. Having a dog is a great way to set rules for your children and teach them about responsibilities. Depending on the age of your kids, they should be able — and expected — to walk the puppy, feed him, and clean up after him.

Kids can take part in training. Both children and puppies learn by doing. One easy lesson is to clap gently for the dog to come. This is a personality test that trainers use to judge a dog’s temperament. But it’s also a nice introduction to the idea that he’s expected to come when called. A puppy that comes running right away is likely more dominant. One who’s initially shy but then accepts affection has a gentler disposition toward humans.

Let kids teach your puppy to fetch. Crumple up a piece of paper, wiggle it in front of the puppy, and then gently toss it a few feet away. Your pup should go sniff the paper, and he may return it to the thrower after a time.

OP
M

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thanks again for the great advice, one more question.

He had his first shots at 6 weeks (before I brought him home) and then again 2 days ago when he is 9 weeks,
How long do we have to wait to be able to take him outside? Our kids birthday party will be next week, (1 week after his second shots). Can we bring him with us to the park?. I'm planing to bring a fence (playpen) and keep him in there as much as I can. Kids may take him out!!!

Thanks again

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I wouldn't, no.

Think of it this way - puppies are babies. Would you let random kids pick up and put down your baby? It would get scared, cry (a puppy may whimper) and maybe even get sick depending on who picked him up and where they put him down.
He's gonna be what? 10 or 11 weeks old, right? He's still getting used to your family. Taking him to a party, with a ton of kids running around and touching him will not only scare him, but it can be dangerous for him too. Very easy for a group of kids to get carried away and hurt him accidentally.

It's just not a good idea.

OP
M

MaxDAD

Mar 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I wouldn't, no.

Think of it this way - puppies are babies. Would you let random kids pick up and put down your baby? It would get scared, cry (a puppy may whimper) and maybe even get sick depending on who picked him up and where they put him down.
He's gonna be what? 10 or 11 weeks old, right? He's still getting used to your family. Taking him to a party, with a ton of kids running around and touching him will not only scare him, but it can be dangerous for him too. Very easy for a group of kids to get carried away and hurt him accidentally.

It's just not a good idea.

Thanks, I totally agree. We will leave him at home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Once he gets his last round of shots at16 weeks-- you can take him places

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.