Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Question Potty Option?

Matilda is really allergic to grass and we live in an apartment with limited potty options. So, last year I made her a giant litter box on our balcony, and while it's been a huge improvement, I think she's still having issues with the litter. The paper litter was disgusting to clean and didn't absorb well. She's had allergy problems with pine, corn, and now cedar. Dogs can't use clay litter, which is in most cat litters. I didn't want to use potty pads because 1) she'd eat them and 2) we'd have to replace it every time she used the bathroom. We had a fake grass potty system but in an apartment, it was revolting to clean since we don't have access to a hose. So with the new problems with her cedar litter, I once again looked up potty options that will stop my girl's feet from itching.

Has anyone seen or used the WizDog indoor potty? I would put it on the balcony, but basically it has a grid on it, keeping their feet clean. Inside is a potty pad. So she wouldn't step on it or be able to rip it open. They're small (but you can buy two if needed) and they support up to 200 lbs. And it's only $30 so I think we're going to give it a shot?

Anyone have advice?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Potty Option?

sorry no advice.... but interesting concept --- good luck!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    Matilda is really allergic to grass and we live in an apartment with limited potty options. So, last year I made her a giant litter box on our balcony, and while it's been a huge improvement, I think she's still having issues with the litter. The paper litter was disgusting to clean and didn't absorb well. She's had allergy problems with pine, corn, and now cedar. Dogs can't use clay litter, which is in most cat litters. I didn't want to use potty pads because 1) she'd eat them and 2) we'd have to replace it every time she used the bathroom. We had a fake grass potty system but in an apartment, it was revolting to clean since we don't have access to a hose. So with the new problems with her cedar litter, I once again looked up potty options that will stop my girl's feet from itching.

Has anyone seen or used the WizDog indoor potty? I would put it on the balcony, but basically it has a grid on it, keeping their feet clean. Inside is a potty pad. So she wouldn't step on it or be able to rip it open. They're small (but you can buy two if needed) and they support up to 200 lbs. And it's only $30 so I think we're going to give it a shot?

Anyone have advice?
    I don't have any advice with that product but can you buy her shoes so she can walk on dirt or the grass outside?
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    I don't have any advice with that product but can you buy her shoes so she can walk on dirt or the grass outside?
    We've tried it. She hates the shoes and no matter the kind - socks, shoes, boots, etc, they fall off!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

hmmm...that little stinker. Well, hopefully someone here will have some advice that will be able to help you guys out.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

What about a teather type of strap that attaches to the shoes and goes across her back to attach to the over shoe. Maybe even adjustable so it fits snug while she has the shoes on but you can adjust it just like a harness. That way the shoes/socks would have something attached to hold them up and on her feet. Kind of the same concept of children with mittens so they don't lose them. Good luck.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I have never used the Wiz Dog but it looks interesting… can Matilda play outside at all?!! Poor baby… grass allergy must be hard for her

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I have never used the Wiz Dog but it looks interesting… can Matilda play outside at all?!! Poor baby… grass allergy must be hard for her
    Yes she plays outside and walks in the grass, it's just that I have to clean her feet in the tub every time she does and use allergy spray. It's too much to do every time she uses the bathroom! She HATES me.

Real Name
    Devin
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Darth Vader
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The breeders we got Vader from had a similar thing called the UgoDog. We bought one in hopes to housebreak Vader using it, but he picked up going outside pretty quick so it went unused.

Breeders swore by it. They've got a 4 year old bully that'll use it when it's raining out so he doesn't have to go outside. She says the pros are that the potty pads are out of reach and they're very easy to clean. I'd think it'd be a possibly good solution for poor Matilda
    The force is strong with this one...

IG: @ABullyNamedVader

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Sounds to me like it's quite a lot of work to try make her potty inside too...dogs need to go outside to pee minimum of 3 times a day. Have you tried duct taping her boots or socks around her legs?

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    Yes she plays outside and walks in the grass, it's just that I have to clean her feet in the tub every time she does and use allergy spray. It's too much to do every time she uses the bathroom! She HATES me.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

I haven't tried any inside potty options so I have no good advice My Bennie has some degree of allergy to grass as well, especially during spring and early summer. But it's like he knows about it and he avoids walking on grass. We have lots of paved and soil areas in our garden so he spends his time there, works well for us
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I had a problem similar to this with my female pug but just learnt to deal with it in my daily routine I would also try the shoes maybe a better fit or the duct tape like suggested above as I would prefer the going outside to the bathroom than doing it inside this is why I don't like cats and they need to go outside its only natural

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads