hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda is really allergic to grass and we live in an apartment with limited potty options. So, last year I made her a giant litter box on our balcony, and while it's been a huge improvement, I think she's still having issues with the litter. The paper litter was disgusting to clean and didn't absorb well. She's had allergy problems with pine, corn, and now cedar. Dogs can't use clay litter, which is in most cat litters. I didn't want to use potty pads because 1) she'd eat them and 2) we'd have to replace it every time she used the bathroom. We had a fake grass potty system but in an apartment, it was revolting to clean since we don't have access to a hose. So with the new problems with her cedar litter, I once again looked up potty options that will stop my girl's feet from itching.

Has anyone seen or used the WizDog indoor potty? I would put it on the balcony, but basically it has a grid on it, keeping their feet clean. Inside is a potty pad. So she wouldn't step on it or be able to rip it open. They're small (but you can buy two if needed) and they support up to 200 lbs. And it's only $30 so I think we're going to give it a shot?

Anyone have advice?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry no advice.... but interesting concept --- good luck!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Matilda is really allergic to grass and we live in an apartment with limited potty options. So, last year I made her a giant litter box on our balcony, and while it's been a huge improvement, I think she's still having issues with the litter. The paper litter was disgusting to clean and didn't absorb well. She's had allergy problems with pine, corn, and now cedar. Dogs can't use clay litter, which is in most cat litters. I didn't want to use potty pads because 1) she'd eat them and 2) we'd have to replace it every time she used the bathroom. We had a fake grass potty system but in an apartment, it was revolting to clean since we don't have access to a hose. So with the new problems with her cedar litter, I once again looked up potty options that will stop my girl's feet from itching.

Has anyone seen or used the WizDog indoor potty? I would put it on the balcony, but basically it has a grid on it, keeping their feet clean. Inside is a potty pad. So she wouldn't step on it or be able to rip it open. They're small (but you can buy two if needed) and they support up to 200 lbs. And it's only $30 so I think we're going to give it a shot?

Anyone have advice?

I don't have any advice with that product but can you buy her shoes so she can walk on dirt or the grass outside?

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I don't have any advice with that product but can you buy her shoes so she can walk on dirt or the grass outside?

We've tried it. She hates the shoes and no matter the kind - socks, shoes, boots, etc, they fall off!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
hmmm...that little stinker:). Well, hopefully someone here will have some advice that will be able to help you guys out.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
What about a teather type of strap that attaches to the shoes and goes across her back to attach to the over shoe. Maybe even adjustable so it fits snug while she has the shoes on but you can adjust it just like a harness. That way the shoes/socks would have something attached to hold them up and on her feet. Kind of the same concept of children with mittens so they don't lose them. Good luck.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have never used the Wiz Dog but it looks interesting… can Matilda play outside at all?!! Poor baby… grass allergy must be hard for her :(

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I have never used the Wiz Dog but it looks interesting… can Matilda play outside at all?!! Poor baby… grass allergy must be hard for her :(

Yes she plays outside and walks in the grass, it's just that I have to clean her feet in the tub every time she does and use allergy spray. It's too much to do every time she uses the bathroom! She HATES me.

Vader The Bully

Mar 20, 2015
Chino Hills, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darth Vader
The breeders we got Vader from had a similar thing called the UgoDog. We bought one in hopes to housebreak Vader using it, but he picked up going outside pretty quick so it went unused.

Breeders swore by it. They've got a 4 year old bully that'll use it when it's raining out so he doesn't have to go outside. She says the pros are that the potty pads are out of reach and they're very easy to clean. I'd think it'd be a possibly good solution for poor Matilda :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds to me like it's quite a lot of work to try make her potty inside too...dogs need to go outside to pee minimum of 3 times a day. Have you tried duct taping her boots or socks around her legs?

Yes she plays outside and walks in the grass, it's just that I have to clean her feet in the tub every time she does and use allergy spray. It's too much to do every time she uses the bathroom! She HATES me.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I haven't tried any inside potty options so I have no good advice:( My Bennie has some degree of allergy to grass as well, especially during spring and early summer. But it's like he knows about it and he avoids walking on grass. We have lots of paved and soil areas in our garden so he spends his time there, works well for us:)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I had a problem similar to this with my female pug but just learnt to deal with it in my daily routine I would also try the shoes maybe a better fit or the duct tape like suggested above as I would prefer the going outside to the bathroom than doing it inside this is why I don't like cats and they need to go outside its only natural

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Well actually it is outside, it's on the balcony. The problem is that I think her litter is irritating her too, but its not half as bad as it was when she used the grass. I went ahead and ordered the Wizdog, so we will see how well it works!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion was attacked by a German Shepherd a few years ago and she ended up with stitches and bandages. We needed to keep her feet dry and living in Seattle during the fall......that is nearly impossible. We were given an iv bag and that really didn't work. But build-a-bear shoes did! I have a video of her running and they stayed on.

@<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=2" target="_blank">bullmama</a></u>

Is the video thingie not working? I tried to insert the videos into my post and it just posted the links.

Last edited by a moderator:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Are you familiar with the "Paw Plunger"? Our bathroom is further away from the out door, so when it's really muddy I use that in the hall.

Most Reactions