TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
My Macy is 15 months, she is 49 pounds, happy and the love of my life, we have been to the vet several times, we do allergy pills daily, and do fish oil in her food, I have done the steroids pills, but really nothing has worked so far, it is mostly a seasonal thing, but I hate that she rubs her head on the carpet, licks her feet all day long, even after I wipe the every time she comes in the house, I was talking to some one who told me she uses wellness salmon and potatoes dog food, instead of bulldog royal canine. I worry about her, and love her so much, I hate to see her so miserable. I just don't see anything that really works..

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Food is the a big contributor to allergies. Try to find the highest quality grain free and white potato free food you can afford and that should help quite a bit. The Royal Canine Bulldog food is not very good and has a lot of fillers and other garbage in it.

OP
T

TrinaRyan

Mar 31, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy
Hello, and thank you for posting back, where would I find the best food listing, I have read so many different things, I thought
wellness was good, it is all natural without grain, soy, dyes and byproducts,

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours had allergies on Royal Canin, and we switched foods and had to go through several before we found one that works. We now feed them FROMM grain free. They do well on Pork and Peas.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I agree that Royal Canin isn't that great of a food and it's pricey...you can definitely get a higher quality of food for the same price (or less!). We had Belle on Blue Buffalo and she was still gassy and started loosing a lot of hair. We swapped her to Fromm (very popular on this forum) and she's doing beautifully. Her yeasty paws have almost completely cleared up and she has no tear stains anymore. We feed Fromm pork and applesauce.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree food is a big contributor to allergies. Look over the list and see which one fits best for you. You may have to go through a few before you find the right one. Good luck. I finally settled on a prepared raw and my boys are doing great.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yes I agree with everyone else, the Royal Canin is most likely the huge cause of the allergies. Fromms is what I feed mine as well and she does AMAZING on it. When we got her from the breeder he fed her Diamond grain free food and she had yeast spots ALL over her body, severely on her neck and a lot of dandruff. Once we switch she cleared up tremendously and has a clean bill of health and perfect coat (says my vet) so I would recommend that! :) Hopefully this helps!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
My doggie is allergic to grass so we litter box trained her! It helped the issue immensely! She still goes through the grass once a day for walks, but it's way better than 5 times a day to potty!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

I would also say you need to get her on a better food.... start off with something grain and chicken free. My girl was highly allergic to chicken and once I got her off it a lot of her allergies went away. The other allergies she had were all environmental, we had to wipe her off with a cool wash cloth after each trip/run in the yard.

good luck and keep us posted

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Royal Canin can cause allergies to some dogs.
Every Kibble has so many ingredients that any one of can trouble your pooch.
Grain content is the biggest culprit in kibble.
Try a grain free kibble (whatever is available in your town) or even better go raw if you can wing it.

I switched my boxer from Royal Canin to Raw-Meat-and-Bones (2 feeds of about 500gms)
My EB puppy is on 3 feeds a day; morning and evening she gets meat and bones (250 gms each time)
In the afternoon she gets kibble (Farmina), eggs, cottage cheese, fruit, veggies on rotation

-Raghu

Maryjane

Jan 25, 2015
Country
No Permanent Address
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Ziggy
Yes I second everyone. Royal Canin is not a good quality food, I suggest you change to a better quality food by checking out the food ratings sections. Mr.Ziggy was raised on Royal Canin by the breeder and he stunk so bad! As soon as I got him, I made changes in his food by making homecooked meals.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online