Demodex

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I'll be taking Brett to the this week for it. I'm really trying to avoid antibiotics since I know what it does to their tiny immune system :( it's still localized but need to get him fix asap. In the mean time I've been using Nu stock.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:( sending positive thoughts to you both -- hope it clears up quick

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hopefully he will get over it quickly. Also give him a spoonful of plain yogurt every day and get a good supplement to help with his immune system.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Have you tried Goodwinol ointment? Ruckus had a small patch of demodex when he was a puppy and this cleared it up. I also washed the spot daily with a peroxide shampoo.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried Goodwinol ointment? Ruckus had a small patch of demodex when he was a puppy and this cleared it up. I also washed the spot daily with a peroxide shampoo.

Not yet. I did with Nu Stock. Is that way better than Nu stock? What peroxide shampoo do you use? Thanks :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I don't believe they will give you antibiotics for Demodex mange. Winnie was given Ivermectin (I think) which actually kills the mites.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
We have been on Ivermectin for Demodex mites since December. It's the main ingredient in Heart Worm, but also kills the mites. And it has worked. We got our first negative skin scraping in March so one more in a couple weeks and Duchess can come off treatment. It takes a little time, but after the first week or so, she wasn't scratching anymore and any patches/redness started to heal. Good luck!

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We have been on Ivermectin for Demodex mites since December. It's the main ingredient in Heart Worm, but also kills the mites. And it has worked. We got our first negative skin scraping in March so one more in a couple weeks and Duchess can come off treatment. It takes a little time, but after the first week or so, she wasn't scratching anymore and any patches/redness started to heal. Good luck!

Thank you! The vet gave us the basic treatment first. Medicated shampoo and Mitaban dip. We go back next week for follow up to check if it works. If not then they'll probably prescribe the ivermectin

Most Reactions