Stenotic Nares (your thoughts and inputs needed)

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Greetings,
My Vet is suggesting that my puppy's nares should be surgically corrected (see attached). He does not exhibit any breathing issues, and I have been told that some puppies nostrils opens as they get older. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Max Nose b.jpg
    Max Nose b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 160
OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Advice Needed (Stenotic Nares)

Greetings All,
My Vet is suggesting that my puppy's nares should be surgically corrected (see attached). He does not exhibit any breathing issues, and I have been told that some puppies nostrils opens as they get older. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Max Nose b.jpg
    Max Nose b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Max Nose  (2).jpg
    Max Nose (2).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 174

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Re: Advice Needed (Stenotic Nares)

It would greatly open his breathing passages, I have never had it done but now I would greatly consider it in the future if any of my bulldogs require a surgical procedure. I do not think I would have it done otherwise, but it really depends on the severity of your pups nares. They look pretty tight. One of my bulldogs is really narrower than I ever realized but I only just realized it after reading nycbullymama 's article on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Re: Advice Needed (Stenotic Nares)

Thank you. I am leaning towards having the procedure done when he gets neutered a 6 months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
His do look a little tight.... how old is your boy?

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
He is 21 weeks old. His head looks too small for his body. Lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is 21 weeks old. His head looks too small for his body. Lol

Our boy had his nares done at 16 weeks... our vet stated there is new research that has shown Bulldogs that have the nares widened at around 4 months old had less of a chance of more impact to the soft palate as thee get older and the nares only surgery is fast/quick procedure so they are not under that long

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you do the laser surgery? How long did it take to heal?
Thanks!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you do the laser surgery? How long did it take to heal?
Thanks!

Not the laser, we did the standard cut and he was fine that afternoon... stitches were out in two weeks

OP
M

Maximus P

Jan 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks. I will go ahead and have it done.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
His do look a little tight.... how old is your boy?

This post makes me worried about Goob. No snoring, gagging, heavy breathing, nothing! BUT....Goob's nose kind of looks like this little guys:ashamed:
20131130_140714.jpgIMAG1126.jpg20131229_144608.jpg 20150227_234837_resized.jpg Any thoughts [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Looks are deceiving. If he is in no way experiencing distress, whatsoever, then his air intake is just fine. If there is a sound emitted when he breats in, that means, the airflow is restricted and will need some assistance to widen the air entrance so he can breath more through his nose.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Looks are deceiving. If he is in no way experiencing distress, whatsoever, then his air intake is just fine. If there is a sound emitted when he breats in, that means, the airflow is restricted and will need some assistance to widen the air entrance so he can breath more through his nose.

:)Thanks for that:). Now, I can breathe!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.