Desperately needs to GAIN weight

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I have a much much longer story that I will post later tonight from a laptop, but in the interim, after a very traumatic experience and a new vet, we need Mack to gain seven to ten pounds.

He is currently on Merrick Grain Free and we switch between the non poultry non seafood flavors. He is already eating slightly more then the manufacturer recommended portion, split between morning and night.

His new vet wants him on a higher fat diet rather than increasing his portions. She recommended substituting some of the dry kibble with wet food that meets his allergy requirements to increase calories and fat content and also finding a higher fat food.

Here is the dilemma, after A LOT OF searching, Merrick IS the highest fat and calorie content. And the canned food has even less, so substituting any at all would be a decrease in those nutrients....

I haven't looked at Fromm because it is very difficult to find in my area and with all of the credit card breaches lately I am not comfortable getting food delivered anymore, additionally, he never really did well on Fromm to begin with. Merrick has really been a life saver.

So I need suggestions, tips, advice, on fattening up a bully! Seems most have the opposite problem!

I did a search for the word fat and didn't get helpful results, but also the tapatalk app has changed dramatically since I last used it.

And pointers, experience, or reference to previous posts would be greatly appreciated.

I will post our epic story later tonight. This thread is a slight spoiler, as you now know he made it home, but his story is one of triumph!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey there -- good to see you! I am going to tag a few people that might have some suggestions to add weight to Mack.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Only thing I can think of is "Satin Balls". They put weight on fast. If you google "Satin Balls for your dog" you'll find recipes. Only thing is, each one I saw had oatmeal in it.

There are also supplements like Enervite Paste to help dogs put on weight- but I've never tried the pastes. You can always ask your vet about them though.

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Only thing I can think of is "Satin Balls". They put weight on fast. If you google "Satin Balls for your dog" you'll find recipes. Only thing is, each one I saw had oatmeal in it.

There are also supplements like Enervite Paste to help dogs put on weight- but I've never tried the pastes. You can always ask your vet about them though.

I saw the satin balls on google, it kind of grosses me out, but if nothing else that will be my last resort! Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if oats would even bother him. I've figured out from a few upset tummies that he can have human chicken and rice, but not chicken rice dog food bc of the way they make it!

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Hey there -- good to see you! I am going to tag a few people that might have some suggestions to add weight to Mack.

It's good to be back, and man do I have a story for you guys! Thanks for the assistance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The SaMix ---a pound of raw ground beef, an 8oz package of cream cheese, a jar of all-natural peanut butter, a dozen egg yolks, a 10oz package of wheat germ and a cup of flaked oats that have been soaked in heavy cream. According to the Dog Logic website, this recipe is used to help dogs gain weight quickly after surgery. The egg yolks contain cysteine, which may have protective effects on the liver; the peanut butter is a high-calorie, nutritious food rich in calcium and iron. The ground beef supplies high-quality protein. ** The Satin Balls would be my suggestion, and feeding several smaller meals 4 times a day, instead of once or twice a day, unless there are allergies involved. When I rescued a starving Mal. I fed him a quality food, 4 times a day, and he eventually bloomed. (Most of my dogs have the opposite problem!)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above, I was also going to say Satin Balls. Another good way is to add coconut oil to the diet. :up:

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Great advice above, I was also going to say Satin Balls. Another good way is to add coconut oil to the diet. :up:

Seems like we might be gaining weight just with the food he is already on, but digesting it better. And of course he has been getting lots of treats lately too. I still owe you guys his story. I haven't forgotten but haven't had a chance. It's a doozy and is gonna take a while.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.