Advice needed: bully with seizures

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hi everyone! So nothing is the matter with Ruckus -- but I'm hoping to start fostering dear, sweet Sampson who is up for adoption by a local rescue I volunteer with some -- City Dogs Rescue in Washington, DC. Keith is a bit nervous about caring for a dog with seizures, particularly if they happen when I'm not home, so I thought I'd see if any members have any tips.

The brief version of Sampson's story is he was dumped at a high kill shelter at right around year old maybe a few months older and pulled by City Dogs. He was immediately adopted, but was returned a few weeks ago after 8 months in what turned out not to be a forever home. The wife got pregnant and her husband insisted they surrender Sampson. I don't have many more details. I did talk to the woman who was fostering him for the first few weeks and she told me about a big seizure episode he had last night. She said he had about 7 seizures, progressively smaller until they stopped from around 11:30PM-2:00AM last night.

He is on pills twice daily and needs immediate injections if he seizes. He was eating Taste of the Wild, but in a pinch was fed Iams and this happened right before then seizures, which has also led to a very upset stomach. I really think this guy is in need of a forever home and a really knowledgeable bully vet.

I'm wondering what experience and tips anyone can share with me. What brought on your dog's seizures, how did they act after, do you always crate them when they're alone because of seizures? Anything is welcomed. I really want to help him.

Oh and did I mention he's super stinkin' cute?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427491550.110207.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427491563.120036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427491583.342706.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I have no experience with seizures, but I couldn't not comment and say you have the best soul for considering to foster this sweet baby. What a cutie.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I agree, I don't have experience with seizures in dogs but I have to give you a praise for opening up your heart and home to this lovely dog. I really hope he enjoys your company! :drawheart2:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a German Shepherd who had seizures. They got progressively worse, and we found out that she had a brain tumor. She was on medications, and when she would seize, she would lose control of her bowels and urine. When the seizing stopped, she would be blind, and could not stop walking, and she would walk into things. That would last for about 10 minutes. She then would come out of it, and her sight would come back. We spent many sleepless nights being with her as she had her seizures.
If he needs injections immediately after seizing, how will you ever be able to leave him alone? It is a hard thing to deal with, as anyone with a seizure dog knows. Bless you for even considering it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh he is SUPER cute!!! I will tag the members familiar w/seizures, good luck w/this baby and please keep us posted!!!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I had a German Shepherd who had seizures. They got progressively worse, and we found out that she had a brain tumor. She was on medications, and when she would seize, she would lose control of her bowels and urine. When the seizing stopped, she would be blind, and could not stop walking, and she would walk into things. That would last for about 10 minutes. She then would come out of it, and her sight would come back. We spent many sleepless nights being with her as she had her seizures.
If he needs injections immediately after seizing, how will you ever be able to leave him alone? It is a hard thing to deal with, as anyone with a seizure dog knows. Bless you for even considering it.

So I've now been told the injections aren't necessarily for every seizure, but to shorten the bad spells. My boyfriend works from home, and I have a flexible schedule. He's losing his current foster because she's moving out of state so starting tonight he has to live at daycare/boarding....and he's just been shuffled around and dumped so many times. I know we aren't the perfect forever home for him, but he just tugs at my heart strings so I'm trying to make something work temporarily. I'm going to post about him with some of the local bulldog meetup groups. He deserves a good home so badly.

It's interesting that you say your dog was blind right after -- his last foster reported that he would pace and bump into things right after his seizure and act very disoriented. No one ever considered that he couldn't see, but now I'm sure he can't in the minutes after an episode.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki has had seizures in the past he is on pheno 2 times a day which has helped keep them away
He isn't crated during the day but he isn't allowed to go down the stairs when we are home for fear of him falling down them during a seizure. He did go blind after them and was very out of it for a few hours then very tired afterwards.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
So I've now been told the injections aren't necessarily for every seizure, but to shorten the bad spells. My boyfriend works from home, and I have a flexible schedule. He's losing his current foster because she's moving out of state so starting tonight he has to live at daycare/boarding....and he's just been shuffled around and dumped so many times. I know we aren't the perfect forever home for him, but he just tugs at my heart strings so I'm trying to make something work temporarily. I'm going to post about him with some of the local bulldog meetup groups. He deserves a good home so badly.

It's interesting that you say your dog was blind right after -- his last foster reported that he would pace and bump into things right after his seizure and act very disoriented. No one ever considered that he couldn't see, but now I'm sure he can't in the minutes after an episode.

I've been dealing with seizures and bulldogs for about 7 years. 1st off, I would inquire about rectal diazepam. Currently we use the injectable diazepam, but we administer it rectally. The rectal wall absorbs the medication faster than when given via injection. The tube we use is the same type you use for tube feeding.
cleftwp3.jpg

We usually give it after the second seizure. Vegas usually doesn't have cluster seizures (more than one) but when he does, it's given to him.

As for the blindness. During both the pre-ictal and post-ictal stages of a grand mal seizure he can appear to be blind. My neurologist says it's confusion. They aren't completely coherent yet...but their brain is still firing and the need to move is there. This is why they often will pace.
This is also the time when you need to be very careful around them. Keep small children and other pets away and move any and all obstacles. Since they are very confused and are unaware of what just happened, please be careful about hugging or touching them. Some k9s can get aggressive and bite. Luckily we haven't had to worry about this with Vegas.

Some people apply ice packs to help them cool down....we've never tried that. I do have this green ball that is Vegas's absolute favorite toy. We put treats inside of it....and when he needs to pace, this ball gives him something to work with.

As for crating....we keep him in a crate during the day with a camera on him. I get push notifications sent to my phone when it detects movement. For a small price.....I can record 7 days straight and the ability to go back and look at any footage I want is there.

I have a youtube channel that might help you out and I do have an article that I wrote a few years ago that might help. Special Needs Bulldogs Forum - Bulldog spotlight: TheVegasShow

https://www.youtube.com/user/libra92673

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he is precious! Cheryl will be able to help .... wishing you and sampson all the best

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thanks for all the great advice! I got to walk him last weekend and he's a pretty mellow guy, clearly looking for a great forever home. We found a foster is who is home a lot, so hopefully that will be good for him. I am a little concerned that some of the points I raised, posted here and just other bulldog centric advice, was taken more with a grain of salt...I even suggested maybe transferring him to a bully rescue that really knows their issues, but I don't think that's an option at all. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on his progress and will keep everyone updated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.