Help...Niko STINKS!

Danielle J

Jan 8, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Presley
Im am hoping and praying some of you more seasoned bully parents can help me. Niko absolutely stinks! He is smelling up the whole house. The vet says that his coat and skin are great. Okay so why does he stink to high heaven? I notice it more around his face. His breath is also killer. Need suggestions pppppppllllllllleeeeeeaaaaaasssssssseeee:pray:.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Sounds like you've got a yeast problem in the wrinkles...or possibly an ear infection.

Are you cleaning the wrinkles? If so, with what?

Also, what are you feeding your bully?

thomashusten

Feb 2, 2011
You should give some bath to your dog with some pet shampoo this only can stop your dog from stinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] used to have the same problems with her Vegas. I can't recall exactly what she did though to improve them. I think she changed his food and used a special type of shampoo. Hopefully she'll be able to share some insights!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas at one time to stunk up my whole house, I was on the verge of re-homing him, UNTIL I found this site. This will be a slow process but what a HUGE difference it makes!! 1. What are you feeding him? 2. Do you wash and DRY his wrinkles EVERYDAY? I had to slowly change his food, he is now on Nature's Variety Instinct which is a grain/gluten free dog food, I was feeding him Iams :eek: I did wash his face back then but not everyday and did not dry it just a good washing. It must be dried very well so nothing "grows" in there. I also use Desitin (for baby rash) and rub it in his wrinkles, he hates it but it acts like a barrier. I feed him a big tablespoon of yogurt every morning and night to fight the yeast and I use a shampoo from our Vet that is anti fungal anti yeast, you massage it in real good, let it sit for `10 min. then rinse real good. It will not only help with the smell it will help with shedding. let me know what you are feeding and what your facial washing habits are. I have learned so much from this site, Vegas smells 90% better I still battle with his face, BUT my house does not stink.

OP
Danielle J

Danielle J

Jan 8, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Presley
I admit that I dont clean his wrinkles everyday. I use baby wipes about 3-4x a week. He is fed Royal Canine (the bully kind) but after reading through the posts I am going to change him up. What is recommended for the everyday wrinkle cleaning? I will also get some desitin. How often do you apply the Desitin? I will get him some yogurt too. I am in the same boat as you were...my whole house smells awful!!

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I admit that I dont clean his wrinkles everyday. I use baby wipes about 3-4x a week. He is fed Royal Canine (the bully kind) but after reading through the posts I am going to change him up. What is recommended for the everyday wrinkle cleaning? I will also get some desitin. How often do you apply the Desitin? I will get him some yogurt too. I am in the same boat as you were...my whole house smells awful!!

[MENTION=1686]Danielle J[/MENTION], You must clean his wrinkles daily to get a hold on this house smell, I am a fanatic about my house and the first thing you smelled when you walked in was him. I wash Vegas's face 6 out of 7 days with his medicated shampoo, baby wipes will work but make sure it is VERY dry after so nothing is moist and can grow. I use Desitin or you can use 100$ pure cornstarch the kind you cook with, make sure it does not get in his eyes, that also will help absorb the stink, about 3x a week. The food change made a HUGE difference with him. NO potato, no gluten, no grain. I only feed him fruits and veggies for snacks.

What food are you thinking? Again it will be a slow process but so worth it. I am serious, I did not want him because of being fanatical about my house but I knew NO ONE could take care or LOVE him the way I did. Even my furniture smelled because of him. It is amazing and you will be amazed and how better he will smell with the changes and how he will change, remember he is miserable also, it just sounds to much like Vegas, his were all allergies. He is such a different dog now, not miserable, not itching, not smelling.

I also took Vegas for the last 4 months to the vet for an allergy shot which also helped with the smell and itching.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I was in the same situation with Bruno...His face stunk like:poo:

I took the suggestions of people on here and switched his food a few times until I settled on Taste of The Wild Pacific. I also bought and Antifungal shampoo that I bathe him with once a week.
No more stink. Sheds a hell of a lot less. Happy Home :yes:

OP
Danielle J

Danielle J

Jan 8, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Presley
Im not sure what food to switch him to. Any suggestions? Also suggestions on the shampoo? I walked in tonight after work and about lost my mind with the smell. :*(:mad: I am also a fanatic about my house and smell even the smallest things so this is literally DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :eek:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OMG if you are feeding Royal Canine Bulldog no wonder he stinks. When my bullies tried that I would walk into the room and be overwhelmed with dog smell and GAS!!!!

I think you would be happy with any of the 5-6 star foods, literally my bullies have pooped in their bed and I cannot even smell it. Weird right??? :eek: You can also check out our 5 recommended dog foods too.

Now for the face. If your baby has yeast, you must kill it. Also check his gum lines for any signs of tartar- this can cause a real stink. Check his folds for any yellow, green, reddish or brown substance. If it smells of rotten fish, you probably have a yeast problem. Especially check in that nose wrinkle. Now on to the tail pocket and ears. Make sure there is not a yeast build up in the tail pocket, as this can get especially nasty. Not all bulldogs have tail pockets, the only way to find out is to stick your finger up underneath the tail and see if there is a 'cave'.

The ears should show no signs of dirt and wax. When I look into my bullies ears, I will see very minimal wax- if I see any at all. The insides of the ears should not stink.

It is sometimes hard to rid the face of smells- most dogs have a bad smell in the face. But it certainly does help if it is not rotten smelling!! Jesse, Yuna and Mandy's faces never ever stink. Molly has a deep nose rope and needs to be attended to constantly. Tidus has gooey eyes in the morning and I think it makes him a big fish, plus his saggy jowels don't help either! Basically these things vary by the bulldog, some are more wrinkly and actually all that wrinkley beauty comes with a price. More daily care.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Im not sure what food to switch him to. Any suggestions? Also suggestions on the shampoo? I walked in tonight after work and about lost my mind with the smell. :*(:mad: I am also a fanatic about my house and smell even the smallest things so this is literally DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :eek:

[MENTION=1686]Danielle J[/MENTION], I got Vegas's shampoo from our vet it is an antifungal/yeast shampoo. It does smell good and kills all the bad stuff, I did not mean 100$ cornstarch, that I put in the last post LOL, I meant 100%, that you get in the baking isle of the grocery store. the shampoo will also cut down on the shedding.

As far as food It took me a few to find one that made a difference, Nature's Variety makes two kinds, Instinct is grain/gluten free, this is what works for Vegas, they also make a Prairie that does contain grains, it just depends on allergies or not. Fromms is another excellent one. I had to do a google to see who even carried these foods, our local Petsmart does not. You might have to google.

Last edited:

Bullyhoo

Aug 10, 2010
Aww your poor baby. I'd go to a grain free food as others have recommended. We've had good luck with Canidae Salmon /Grain Free but each bully is different. Also, once you thoroughly clean and dry the wrinkles you can put Gold Bond powder (yellow bottle, not blue) on a (new / clean) blush brush and dab it into the face fold so that it keeps it extra dry. Same under the tail.

Best of luck to you!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When I found this site I had Maggie on Beneful because I knew no better .... we also had a problem with Maggie's immune system but apart from that she had no problems with smells on the face although her tear stains were pretty bad. We had the occasional ear infection too which was a yeast infection.

Our change to food was mainly guided by the need to boost the immune system, and getting rid of the ear infections, and tear stains was a welcome addition to this. With [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] guidance we switched Maggie to Fromm 4* range of foods .. the salmon n' Veg one because salmon is so good for the immune system. I can not praise Fromm highly enough ... I love this food. She is like a different dog. I have read somewhere to NOT put them on a grain free food UNTIL you know for sure they have an allergy to grain. So my suggestion would be first to get your bully on to a good food first and go from there.

After praising FROMM so highly I do have to pass on one piece of information that I only just experienced. To avoid your bully having an allergy to any one protein source it is advised to switch proteins within the range of food we're using. So from the Fromm 4* range we've had the salmon, duck, whitefish, pork, and chicken. It wasn't until we had them on the chicken that I suddenly noticed that Maggie's face was starting to smell really bad, and her breath could make you pass-out!! It would appear, after reading through some past threads on here, that Bullys are often allergic to chicken and so I'm convinced that's what it was. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it ... the bag of chicken was almost finished and so we've moved back on to the salmon again with this new bag. Maybe we discovered Maggie's allergy to chicken a little to late though as we are now battling interdigital cysts which I've posted about in another thread on here. Apparently, the cause of interdigital cysts are unknown but there have been a lot of links to allergies so I'm inclined to blame these on the chicken flavour too!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.