osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
So a week ago Achilles was barking around 4am right before I get up for work. He kept crying and barking and of course I got up to check on him. Well he was letting me know that he wanted to do his business, as soon as I let him out to our backyard he did his thing (just poo). I WAS SOOOOO HAPPY! and of course made sure to let him know :) However, the peeing is still a problem. He will bark and let me know when he has to poo but for peeing he just does not care or he cannot hold it throughout the night. I always wake up to a surprise or big mess that needs to be cleaned :/ I know he is still young and eventually he'll get there but I was wondering if you guys have some advice or tips that can help I would really appreciate it. I have tried crate training which worked great, I think that's how he learned to let me know when he has to go outside and poo but it just hasn't worked with peeing. He saw the vet last week and she said he is doing awesome that he is very healthy. She just said that as a puppy they just can't hold as long.

IMG_0893.jpg:D

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
At that age he can only hold it for about 3 hours or so. General rule of thumb is that they can hold it for 1 hour per month of age plus 1 hour so at 11 weeks he can really 3 to 4 hours. Typically many people follow the schedule of potty ever 2 hours day and night and then after playing, eating and napping you take them out as well.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
At that age he can only hold it for about 3 hours or so. General rule of thumb is that they can hold it for 1 hour per month of age plus 1 hour so at 11 weeks he can really 3 to 4 hours. Typically many people follow the schedule of potty ever 2 hours day and night and then after playing, eating and napping you take them out as well.

A lot of getting up 3 or 4 in the morning, it also helps to extend the time if you remove the water. For us it was about 8:00pm Bruno is 16 weeks and is sleeping all the way through the night without going out. He lets me know between 6:00 and 6:30 that he needs to go out. Also he is not out of his crate unsupervised, if he's not being watched and he is in his crate.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Be thankful that he is alerting for the poo. I prefer to clean up some pee than stepped in poo. He is actually doing pretty good if you ask me. Honestly I think the peeing takes a lot longer. The rule of thumb is about an hour per age in months. You can also try to pick up his water maybe two hours before bed. I am finally over the hump of getting up multiple times of night with Ty having to pee. He now sleeps like a log. It will come. It really is like having a new born baby in the house.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
When Ruckus was that age I set an alarm and took him out about 4 hours after he fell asleep. My in my pjs trying to get a puppy to potty outside at 3am. It almost totally eliminated nighttime accidents.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
At that age with both dogs I was still taking them out twice a night to go pee. Lola started sleeping through the night and waking up dry at about 16 weeks but Floyd took quite a bit longer. Our vet told us to have patience with little boys and eventually it will happen.

OP
osiris20025

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
Thanks guys! I will set my alarm and take him out couple hours after we go sleep. Also gonna pick up his waters couple hours before bed :)

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
One other thing I might add that helped with us, is the vet recommended changing him to two feedings a day. I was going to do this when he was about six months, as soon as I change the feedings to 1 1/2 cups twice a day is when he started going sleeping past 4:00am. My vet says that anytime after 12 weeks you can change them to two feedings. I'm sure you can find a lot of different opinions on recommended times to change from 3 to 2 feedings.

madteg2001

Mar 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
i'm having troubles trying to get him outside let alone attempt to get him to potty... Otis is 11 weeks, we got him 3 days ago

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
i'm having troubles trying to get him outside let alone attempt to get him to potty... Otis is 11 weeks, we got him 3 days ago
Are you giving Otis treats when he does go potty? That will help motivate him to go out and do his business. And at only three days in your home he will need some time to adjust to his new surrouadings.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thanks guys! I will set my alarm and take him out couple hours after we go sleep. Also gonna pick up his waters couple hours before bed :)

You shouldn't take away water from any dog, but especially a puppy that young. When they're thirsty they need to drink. It's just like people -- if we need water an hour before bed because we're quite thirsty, then we drink. If it means an extra potty break, so be it, but please leave his water down.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
You shouldn't take away water from any dog, but especially a puppy that young. When they're thirsty they need to drink. It's just like people -- if we need water an hour before bed because we're quite thirsty, then we drink. If it means an extra potty break, so be it, but please leave his water down.

I never take Brett & Logan's water either. Brett can hold his pee way better than Logan. Logan still has accidents since he's only about 13 weeks old. I don't mind pee accidents though especially with this weather getting warm.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.