To Neuter or not to Neuter

Rosario Accardi

Mar 11, 2015
NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Bigglessworth
I have been getting mixed signals regarding getting my puppy neutered next month, he will be six months. I would love to breed him one day but not sure due to health issues i was told and waiting too long to neuter them. Any advice would be great thanks again all

OP
R

Rosario Accardi

Mar 11, 2015
NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Bigglessworth
The dog doesn't have any issues as per the vet but he stated the longer i wait to neuter him the higher the chances of health issues and difficulty with the surgery. I would love to breed him due to his colors and etc but the Vet opposed it as per his professional opinion.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Breeding because of his color is not being a good breeder(though many do it for $). You have to be sure there are no health issues,conformation problems,disposition,and knowing that he has a good healthy pedigree. Perhaps your vet did not think he is a good breeding candidate? But there are some vets who push neutering quite a bit, because they see so many unwanted, mistreated cases. Check out all that is involved before you decide! In the end, it is your decision!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I never neutered Ruckus because he had pneumonia as a puppy and I never wanted to put him under for a surgery. He does love to mark lots of trees on his walks, but he doesn't ever potty inside and he is the sweetest thing -- never any aggression issues.

OP
R

Rosario Accardi

Mar 11, 2015
NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Bigglessworth
Let me rephrase my last statement, my apologies. I would want to breed him due to not his color but misdemeanor, confirmation and overall love for the breed. Money in my eyes inst a reason to breed although many people do see it that way which is inconsiderate in my eyes due to the growing population of dogs in shelters.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the vet goes he said he is in great shape and has no health issues at all but once again he is only 5 months old and too early to tell if any health issues exist.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Do a search... there are quite a few threads on this topic.

Kevin is almost 1.5 years old now... And i'll probably get him neutered in the next few months. He's not aggressive, He doesn't mark territory, and (IMHO) there is not any proof neutering has health benefits.

Kevin is getting snipped because he's around more dogs now (dog parks, play dates.. friends houses while we are out of town) and as much as i love him, i don't think i can handle a pack of baby Kevin's running around :) .

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
you can do a google search for this and you will get so much conflicting advice. in the end you have to do what you think is right. we did neuter frank at around 7 months. we had a pretty bad humping problem before he was neutered, and I am happy to report that he has not humped once since. before the neuter he would get incredibly amped up during play, he would need to be calmed down often. and he would always jump up on my chair and try to hump me no matter how much I attempted to correct him. all of this stopped after the neuter and he is now my little lap dog. All he ever wants to do is cuddle with mom.

I feel that i did get lucky... the neuter changed him in a positive way. I was told ‘a neuter isn’t a lobotomy’ and it should not change their personality but it really did help correct some of franks behaviors.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Lots of information on neutering. I just had Tyson neutered right around the 7 month mark. He was humping Raven and it was causing fights and he was starting to want to mark. I didn't care if he marked outdoors but he was marking all of their bedding, toys, etc. I know a lot of vets, mine included, will recommend waiting until they are closer to the 1 year mark due to wanting them to be fully grown as the hormones are supposed to help with their growth plates and a host of other things. That being said it's still fine to do it prior to that if you choose to, just not too early. Personally I am not into breeding and the worry, expense and work that goes with the whole thing. I rather leave it to the experts trying to better the breed. Everyone thinks their dogs are the most beautiful mushes around, thing is you really only want to breed very sound dogs. Bullies can have a host of issues and I feel like if you don't really know their lines it's best to not breed them. I wouldn't want to continue any health issues. Also for those that I know that have not neutered and actually used their boys as studs they always go crazy around females. So for my two cents worth, I would say neuter your boy when the time is right and just enjoy him.

By the way, post-neuter Ty is the same crazy, loveable little bugger. He is just not humping his sister and peeing on everything he sees that should be his.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online