Orion had to go to the vet yesterday...

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Not sure what happened but her little face was swollen. Dr said she had some sort of allergic reaction....Gave her prednisone and benedryl in the office. She gave us an extra course in case it happens again. If you remember...this same thing happened last year and we thought a bug bite or a topical allergy to the mato plants. Well....it's too cold and rainy for bees (I've only seen a few collecting pollen in the front yard and this would have been in the back yard) and we have no mato plants or any plants in the back yard.

Poor girl. So we are doing a Prednisone taper for about 15 days....and she also suggested Orion might benefit from the nasal surgery. Widening her passage to help her get some better air. This doesn't shock me...but it's about 5 years too late.

We've been going to this office for many many years....granted, Vegas is usually the focus.

But she will be 6 this June. Isn't putting her under for this a little too risky? Or would the benefits outweigh the danger?

I've been having thoughts about the same thing with Bennie, his nostrils seems narrow but the vet has never mentioned anything about it and I forget to ask when we're there cos I'm always stressing about the present issue:ashamed: He doesn't snore, ever. And he doesn't seem to have problems, but I can hear him breath... I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things:blush2:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I hope that Orion is feeling better and is less swollen. We had vets suggest the nasal surgery for Frank but I was always terrified of him being put under. But there would be times that he would sometimes stop breathing at night and would get so phlegmy. Then last year he had his breathing incident and even though he was under already, I was so worried about the stress of the surgery. Luckily he pulled through fine and breathes so much better now. It is such a tough decision though. If the accident hadn't happened, I probably would have kept putting it off out of fear. He was almost four when he had the surgery last year.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor Orion :( Surgery is just one of those things, ugh. I hate it. Prayers for you & your decision, its never easy. I can tell you that Tyson went through surgery at 8yrs old twice. Our 2nd surgery was so much better, and I attribute that to having a vet who was very experienced with bullies.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hope Orion feels better today-and swelling is down!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It really is a difficult call to make. The throwing up phlegm after meals and when she gets excited screams elongated soft palate to me and just reminds me of what happened to Wellie.

If she's overall in good health, and your vet feels she would benefit enough from the surgery that it outweighs the risks, I would do it. But I would do the palate as well as the nares.
The older she gets, the more I would be concerned about the throwing up phlegm. It just puts her a higher risk for Aspiration/Pneumonia which is something tough to beat, especially when they're older.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Yep sounds like Wheezie ..she breathes 100% better since her nasal surgery.I wish I had known to ask about her palate when her mares were done.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending hugs to all of you and prayers too!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.