Potty training Brooklyn.. Almost 12 weeks old.

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Hi guys...sorry we have been MIA!!!! It is like a full time job raising Brooklyn!!! We have one major question... And I know every bulldog is different. Brooklyn will be 12 weeks old tomorrow (Thursday). We will have had him for 4 weeks then. When we bring him outside to do his business, he always does..... But he still has accidents at least once or twice a day...on the floor or even on MY bed! But when I come home from work to let him out, he runs to the door to go outside and goes immediately! So it is like he knows....but half the time he just goes on the floor on his terms!?!?!?! I'm getting discouraged because people are telling me he should be long trained by now :( is this normal? When will he get it??? I don't "mind" necessarily that he has accidents here and there....I just wish he would signal me or something. Is there a certain age that he should "get it" by?! Please help. I am getting very worried. I don't want a 2 year old grown bulldog peeing and pooping on the floor and bed!
Thanks for any help.

Other than that..... I have never been happier with him!!! He's so amazing and gorgeous :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like Brooklyn is almost there. Try this..... when he has an accident in the house, do not scold him as much as you scold the mess..... freak out about it. Act like it is the end of the world, and then show him the mess and tell him no, all the while focusing your distraught over the mess itself. Sometimes they need to know how much YOU don't like the mess, and then immediately take him out. Also give him a treat whenever he goes potty outside. He will understand quickly that each time he goes outside he will get a reward. A healthy one tho! No pupperonis or gross cheap treats! Then he will get the :poo:!!!! He is only 12 weeks old, he does not have full control over his system yet, and sometimes activity & excitement, running and playing, ect. can make him just need to go.

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Twelve weeks is still young. It sounds like he's just about there. No worries.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I have heard some have real good luck by adding a string of bells on their door and teaching them to paw the chimes to let you know they need to go out.

staclyn

Jan 27, 2011
Milford, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
I have only had Millie for about 5 months. She was 9 months when I got her. I have the bells on the door and she doesn't use them. She sits at the door and waits, but if I am busy elsewhere in the house and can't see that she is sitting at the door, she will eventually just go somewhere else and potty. How do I teach her to alert that she has to potty?

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION] I'min the same boat as you. Having a hard time
with Jozi. She will be 12 week tomorrow. She knows go outside
but just decides to do it in the house for some reason. I think that
I'm going to giver her free time for a few hours in the house. Then
after 3, 3 1/2 hours She is going back in her crate. Spend a little
time in there and then outside to potty. Hopefully this will work.

Try to stay positive. I know as well as anyone right now how hard
it is. But we have to for our Bullies sake. Good luck with the
potty training let me know if anything works for you. I might have
to try it too.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I am having the same issue with Guinness. He will be in his crate for 8-9 hours and will not go and as soon as I take him out of the crate I pick him up and bring him outside and bam bathroom. But when we are in the house he will not motion at all when he has to go and will just go on the floor. If it wasn't for me just bringing him out every 45min-1hour he would just go on the floor. I need to get him to go to the door or bark or something to let us know he needs to go

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Same here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!all day and all night in his crate, he doesn't go!! I take him out..he goes! But if we are playing or just hanging.... He will just walk onto my comforter and pee... Or just pee or poop on the floor! I say NO and kind of put his face in it so he knows what I am saying no to. But he clearly doesn't know that he is wring. I do reward him every single time he goes outside. But I don't think he comprehends...... I know he is still a baby..but like I said- people are telling me he should be trained by and he is nowhere near trained so I am worried :( I think I am doing everything right ????

Guiness- we need a plan!!!!!

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
[MENTION=1703]bjsfarm[/MENTION] my pup Brooklyn is Winston's son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up::luv:

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] what kind of treats?! I've been just giving him all different kinds. S lot of biljax brand? Any recommendations for healthy ones?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
carolina pet pantry has a huge selection of treats that are good for bullies. I always go grain free, and they have the fruitables too, which my bullies LOVE. Other than that, you can give frozen green beans, fruit, carrots, ect. :up:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't think there is a "definite" cut-off point for when a puppy should be house-trained. It really is individual to every puppy .. although I have heard that english bulldogs can take a little longer to train.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION] Bear is almost 1 year and he doesn't urinate fully outside, I have to watch him like a hawk, he will hike up his leg and pee on my furniture, laundry, drapes, etc. Other than these "accidents" he goes outside and I take him out as much as I can. I am home with him, he isn't crated. Drives me NUTS. Not to say there is no hope for you but others have great advice. Bear isn't fixed and won't be which could be part of my problem. Good luck!!!

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION] Guinness destroys carrots, cucumbers and frozen green beans...people will offer him regular dog treats and will not touch them and looks for the healthier treats...if only his father was the same...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.