Sharing bully responsibilities?

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
I was thinking about this last night as I was doing the daily bully routine after working 16 hours and getting home at 3am *sigh* does your significant other help you with the bully "duties"? My husband thinks I'm crazy because I clean their rolls, and privates daily, give them vitamins, filtered water, yogurt, cottage cheese (only as a treat now, fatties) and just started putting coconut oil on their fur, and massaging it in to their boo-boo's on their cheeks. Angel doesn't have any, little cheek biter!
He really thinks I'm obsessed, and all I do to keep them healthy and strong is overboard.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
right there with you... my other half will ask if it has been done, but unless I ask him to actually do the stuff, it is all me

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Fortunately my husband completely understands the obsessive care Belle requires. We've wanted an English Bulldog for over 10 years so in that time we've done plenty of research. He knew going into this what would be involved and he was totally on board. I work long hours but he's home 24-7 with her so he is in charge of feeding and most of the potty breaks. He will also wipe her wrinkles and face as needed without me having to ask. The ONLY thing he won't do is clean her tail pocket...that grosses him out :happy: I handle all of her vet care and monthly meds (heartworm, flea and tick, etc). We split things pretty evenly.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
My Husband puts Elmo up on the table so I can clean his wrinkles, ropes, and tail pocket. I do all the cleaning daily of Elmo, but when it is time for Elmo to get into the tub, my husband helps hold him.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My hubby works 10 hour days outside in cold and heat, and he wakes up at 4:30 am, so I walk and feed them every morning at 6:00 am, I clean their wrinkles, eyes, ears and faces, my guys don't have a tail pocket. We walk them together in the evenings and he will feed them in the evening while I make our dinner. They get a bath once every two weeks, and he baths them in the tub, and I wash their faces, ears and eyes with a facecloth, while they are in the tub and I do the white vinegar and warm water rinse on them. He cleans the tub after their bath, and he will sweep and vacuum the dog hair and I damp mop the floors, so we share the duties. My son also helps, he looks after them when we aren't home, he takes Blossom pretty much everywhere he goes, because she loves to walk, but Dozer won't walk very far. My son tends to be a night owl, and he will take them out more in the evening hours. All 3 of us understand the care of them and my hubby and son know I'm strict with what I feed them, hubby tends to be a bit of a junk food eater and wants to share with them, but he knows not to, and he will sometimes forget to put their extras like yogurt in the morning into their food, or the acv in their water but he tries.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
When we got Henry I was working and we shared responsibilities evenly. I got sick shortly after and had to stop working. I'm home with him all day so I do all of the cleaning. Hubby feeds them in the mornings and takes them out to potty while I make his lunch. I feed them in the evenings so I can give them their goodies of yogurt and coconut oil. When I'm sick he does everything. When I'm well, I do the majority. I don't want him to have to work all day then wipe a dirty face and tushy when I've been home. If it wasn't for Henry, I would probably spend more days in bed. He's been a life saver in more ways than one. I'm so thankful that we got him when we did. We had him for less than a month when I had to quit working. We would never have gotten a dog and added the stress and expense of it if we would have known I would have to stay home. Thank god we found him.
Sorry, I sure can get on a ramble sometimes, lol!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Gary and I share in the bully work. We take turns sleeping in on the weekends so one day he will get up and the next I will. The kids will do the feedings and potty breaks and all during the week because we leave for work earlier than the boys wake up. I do the feedings in the evening and maintenance. Everyone knows the routine and follows it really well. I am lucky, I have a great family that loves the boys as much as I do.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We have a lot of pets in the house. The person who took in the pet gets to care for the pet. The dogs are mine, so I care for them. My husband does a lot of the training only because he can't stand misbehaved dogs and I'm not very good at it. He has the birds so he takes care of them. My kids has the snakes, fish, lizard, and turtles.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
single mom here.... I do it ALL! I even provide a butt pillow when needed....

IMG_20150316_192543_edit.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'd say I do about 95% of things unrelated to walking & feeding. My husband does morning feed & walk / I do afternoons. But that's about it. He will love on him, and play with him, and hang out. But I get all the dirty work. Wipes, wrinkles, baths, meds, supplements, its all mom.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
My boyfriend doesn't live with us, but he knows how to clean Matil so sometimes when he's here I ask him to do it. My excuse is that Matilda and I take the same time to get ready for bed whereas he takes like two minutes, so it's just faster if he does it ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.