Still Peeing the Crate.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
So tonight I was going to see the movie True Grit.
Before I went I took Jozi out. Seriously it was the
last thing I did before leaving. I drove to the theater,
it had closed due to the weather. So went for a quick
bite of sushi, and back up the mountain to the apartment.

When I got back Jozi was asleep in her crate. But I knew
that smell before I even got close. She had pee'd in her
crate again. I took her out and she went 1 and 2 no problem.
Its like it doesn't bother her. I have been putting her bed
in there. So from now on she is just gonna get the plastic
bottom and that is it.

I know I post about this a lot but I'm seriously about to explode.
Its very frustrating to me. Oh and where she had peed she was
laying in it asleep. I have her crate sectioned off and everything.
Guess she is just a nasty dog. IDK :(

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeell, taking them outside is only part of it. You got to tell them how proud you are of them going outside. Then give them a treat and thank them again when you get inside. Good girl's and treats go along way to inforce the messagae and bad girl's tell them they did something wrong.

OP
bfletch13

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
That is one thing I started tonight. I use to just praise her. But tonight I bought
some treats and give her one and praise her when we come in. Hopefully
that will help.

I even pet her and tell her she was doing a good job while
shes doing it.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hang in there! I know your pain.

My "baby" is nine months old and STILL does the sort of thing you describe above. And despite what they tell you, it does seem some bullies just don't mind sleeping in their own pee.

I know it's hard because you want Jozi to be comfy and cozy but do yourself a favor and get rid of the bedding. This helped a lot getting Truman to stop peeing in his crate. Also, when you clean out the crate after she has peed in it, make sure it is very clean. A lot of the time, if they still smell their urine in the crate, they are more apt to go again. Finally, positive reinforcement goes a long way but I have also tried "yelling" at the bed or towel that Truman has peed on in front of him - so he can tell I am not happy but I direct my anger towards the mess.

It is incredibly frustrating - but she'll get the hang of it and in the meantime, no more bedding!

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I dont know if this is any help. But when I took bella to the potty training class they told me to use a small crate. I have a big one that I got to use when she gets older and she was going potty in there even after she went potty outside but the trainer said cause the crate was big she had a space to potty and then a space to lay. So I had a crate my rat terrier use to be in and I put a towel and her huge stuff duck in there and she has enough room to lay and move around and has not had a accident since. Now crying in there is another story. :)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
My daughter has a little Bully girl, the same age as Gertie and Ida. She went thru soooo much getting Millie to stop going in her crate. She would go in her crate if she was only in there for a few minutes, like when my daughter would run her little boy to school. Millie HATES the crate, and I'm convinced she just did this because she was unhappy because she was being left alone in her crate. (Only she didn't just pee, she'd poop too). And my daughter didn't put any bedding in so then Millie had to have a bath on top of having to clean out the crate constantly. I don't know if this is Jozi's problem. She just might be unhappy with her new surroundings, missing "home" and not liking the crate. My daughter finally started putting Millie in the laundry room, with the crate in there with the door open. She did better immediately. Now she goes to the laundry room and sleeps in her crate, just for a nap, but she doesn't get closed up in the crate anymore.

OP
bfletch13

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi doesn't have space to potty and lay. She potties then lays in it.
Here is a picture of her in her crate. She has about an inch on either
side.

IMG_0967.jpg

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
@gertie'smom, i love the name millie!

[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION], have you considered clicker training?

OP
bfletch13

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I have never thought of clicker training. I was actually talking to a women
tonight about it. I'm going to try treat for a bit. If that doesn't work then I'll try
clicker. If that doesn't work we are gonna have to sew her up. J/K

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
One other thing I learned from my grandma about dogs or kids.........if you use two names to scold or call them.......it reinforces that you are angry and they can distinguish right from wrong a lot easier. Sooooooo when scolding her use Jozi Ann.(or Jozi and whatever) When rewarding her just use Jozi. Trust me it over emphasis's your attitude and they catch on quicker.

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] Ive tried the clicker training and stuff but to be honest the only thing thats worked with all my dogs was to keep them on a schedule and praise/treat when things are done right and make sure they knew when they did wrong. I had a Lhasa Apso that would leave me a puddle at the entrance of my apartment and i got to taking her out in the morning and at night as soon as i got home and once before going to bed and took me 3 days after that never had a problem. Shed wait till i got home and take care of business during a walk. As for the 2 i have now, i was having the same problem but got them trained the same way, eventually i did install a doggy door so now they come and go but thats with living in a house...either way just be patient and praise her all you can when doing good.

OP
bfletch13

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Well last night was a success. No pee pee'ers in her crate.
Hopefully we are taking a step forward. I don't mind cleaning
up accidents if we are making progress. But its gets old taking
2 steps back.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Glad to hear last night was better. Looks like everyone gave you much better advice than I could give, it's been a long time since I've had a puppy. I hope she starts shaping up so you don't go crazy!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm feeling your pain because Daddy was just AWFUL!!

He used to pee AND poop in his cage every night and a lot of times during the day too. Sometimes I'd be gone 25minutes to go and take or collect the kids from school and he would have peed or done both whilst I'd been gone. That was after making sure he'd gone outside before I left. Of course he would stand in it or lie in it and it's very overwhelming when you have a puppy covered in :poo: .... the bottom of the cage and all his blankets are covered in :poo: ... and then because he's stood in it then jumped up because he's so excited we're home again, the sides of the cage are also covered in :poo:.

For us the only thing that eventually helped was time ............. he just gradually grew out of it! Took between three and four months!

Sorry not much help!

OP
bfletch13

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Thanks for all the advise. This has absolutely been the worst potty training experience
ever. I have had 4 dogs in my life that stayed inside. All were pretty simple. They had
it down with in 2 weeks. Jozi is just a special needs puppy I guess. I just have my days
where I want to throw in the towel. But then I have my great days with her too.

I know it may sound like I'm giving up. But I'm not I just need to vent to someone, and
not on Jozi.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.