AMG2345

Mar 12, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi my name is Amanda I'm new to this forum.

We're interested in adding a bulldog to our pack in the future(next year)

We are looking for some advice and possible referral for the future

Couple of questions

How are they with other dogs? We have 2 a dogo male 2 years old and a yorkie female 3 years old

We dogsit one from time to time and she's been good so far with ours

How are they with heat? I'm from Texas
How is training?
Do they need lots of socialization and excersise?
How are vet bills?
What do some of you feed?

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
To answer a few of your questions: English Bulldogs do not do well in heat. If it's too hot I wouldn't allow more than 15 minutes in it. They also do not do well in cold weather either. Also for training they are a little stubborn ao you will need to be more firm but I have noticed they are very smart and they do know what's right from wrong- but again stubborn. Haha socilization is good for any dog so that is a plus, as far as excersize they don't need much and they get tired really quickly. Vet bills can be pricey as Bulldogs are known for very bad health problems but I know a lot of people who have been lucky so it's a toss up. And I feed mine fromms with the flavor salmon tunlini. A lot, I mean most, recommend this food on here. It's awesome and I would never feed them anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, welcome to the family!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi my name is Amanda I'm new to this forum.

We're interested in adding a bulldog to our pack in the future(next year)

We are looking for some advice and possible referral for the future

Couple of questions

How are they with other dogs? We have 2 a dogo male 2 years old and a yorkie female 3 years old

We dogsit one from time to time and she's been good so far with ours

How are they with heat? I'm from Texas
How is training?
Do they need lots of socialization and excersise?
How are vet bills?
What do some of you feed?

Hi Amanda and welcome to EBN. I'll answer as many of your questions as I can,

EB's do not tolerate extreme temperatures hot or cold, they get over heated very easily, and will pant in temperatures above 68 to 70 due to their face structures and shortened trachea and nose, which can cause breathing problems.

Like April mentioned EB's can be very stubborn when it comes to training, they are easy to crate train, it took us 5 months to fully potty train our two guys. They tend to pull while on a leash, will sometimes try to be the boss, lol, and can be stubborn when it comes to obeying commands, they will sometimes listen when they want to, but every dog is different, and some train more easily.

Every dog needs to be socialized to people and other animals from a young age, so that they become comfortable with both. As soon as our guys got their second vaccinations, we started to socialize them to other dogs in our neighbourhood.

EB's do not require a lot of exercise and most do not tolerate long walks especially in hot or cold weather. They are generally indoor dogs and only require short walks of 15 to 20 mins. We keep our guys indoor in the air conditioning during the summer and only go out for potty breaks, but we take them for their longer walks early in the morning and in the evening when it's cooler. Again every dog is different and their are some bullies who love to walk, and tolerate it better, but you have to closely watch your dog for signs of panting, drooling and over heating when on a walk.

When you decide to add another dog to your pack, you should try and introduce them first in a neutral area to see how they get along. A puppy will grow up with your other dogs, so will probably get used to the them, but you have to see ow your dogs will react to a new member. A male and a female bully will usually get along better than two bullies of the same sex, two females can be jealous of each other, and two males can be aggressive with each other, but again every dog is different in their personality and temperment.

EB's can have many health issues, such as hip and joint problems, compromised breathing issues, they are prone to allergies and skin issues, they have sensitive tummies, and they are prone to eye problems like cherry eye and Entropian.
I haven't had any of the problems with breathing, but both my guys have allergies, my female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, corn and grains, and my male Bulldozer is allergic to beef. Blossom also developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, which we had surgically repaired at the same time as we spayed her. Vet bills can be expensive, but that is true for any dog. Every dog requires vet treatment on a regular basis, and the first year of a puppy is usually the most expensive with puppy checkups, vaccinations, spay/ neuter surgery, and then it tapers off, and then unless they are ill, injured or require a surgery, there is yearly vet visits. Some people purchase pet insurance which can offset the costs of vet bills, some people use pet credit, and others put money aside in a bank account for their vet care.

We feed our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. When it comes to feeding your dog, you want to choose a high quality, grain free food. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, grains and other fillers. Again every dog is different and what one dog can tolerate, another may not. We had to switch our guys food 4 times before we found one that they tolerated.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

EB's do not tolerate extreme temperatures hot or cold, they get over heated very easily, and will pant in temperatures above 68 to 70 due to their face structures and shortened trachea and nose, which can cause breathing problems.

Like April mentioned EB's can be very stubborn when it comes to training, they are easy to crate train, it took us 5 months to fully potty train our two guys. They tend to pull while on a leash, will sometimes try to be the boss, lol, and can be stubborn when it comes to obeying commands, they will sometimes listen when they want to, but every dog is different, and some train more easily.

Every dog needs to be socialized to people and other animals from a young age, so that they become comfortable with both. As soon as our guys got their second vaccinations, we started to socialize them to other dogs in our neighbourhood.

EB's do not require a lot of exercise and most do not tolerate long walks especially in hot or cold weather. They are generally indoor dogs and only require short walks of 15 to 20 mins. We keep our guys indoor in the air conditioning during the summer and only go out for potty breaks, but we take them for their longer walks early in the morning and in the evening when it's cooler. Again every dog is different and their are some bullies who love to walk, and tolerate it better, but you have to closely watch your dog for signs of panting, drooling and over heating when on a walk.

When you decide to add another dog to your pack, you should try and introduce them first in a neutral area to see how they get along. A puppy will grow up with your other dogs, so will probably get used to the them, but you have to see ow your dogs will react to a new member. A male and a female bully will usually get along better than two bullies of the same sex, two females can be jealous of each other, and two males can be aggressive with each other, but again every dog is different in their personality and temperment.

EB's can have many health issues, such as hip and joint problems, compromised breathing issues, they are prone to allergies and skin issues, they have sensitive tummies, and they are prone to eye problems like cherry eye and Entropian.
I haven't had any of the problems with breathing, but both my guys have allergies, my female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef, corn and grains, and my male Bulldozer is allergic to beef. Blossom also developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, which we had surgically repaired at the same time as we spayed her. Vet bills can be expensive, but that is true for any dog. Every dog requires vet treatment on a regular basis, and the first year of a puppy is usually the most expensive with puppy checkups, vaccinations, spay/ neuter surgery, and then it tapers off, and then unless they are ill, injured or require a surgery, there is yearly vet visits. Some people purchase pet insurance which can offset the costs of vet bills, some people use pet credit, and others put money aside in a bank account for their vet care.

We feed our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. When it comes to feeding your dog, you want to choose a high quality, grain free food. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, grains and other fillers. Again every dog is different and what one dog can tolerate, another may not. We had to switch our guys food 4 times before we found one that they tolerated.

:goodpost: this is a great post! they have you all covered! a bully is definitely a much higher maintenance dog compared to other breeds. they require alot of attention, work, love, and $$$. so thank you for researching all of this BEFORE hand. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Great post -- excellent info

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.