Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
I have been away from the forum lately due to a few things, but mostly a project. The Mr and
I found a way to make our dream of traveling on a whim come true. We bought an old (1958) Shasta trailer and are rebuilding it from the frame up so the fur babies will have the comforts of home no matter where we go. It will be awhile before she is road worthy. We can't wait. The new bed will be higher than original to accommodate two small crates underneath. One for Lulu and one for our Bichon Ty. We will also have Hanks crate and Tanks ex pen with us folded in the back of the car if needed. Hank can sleep on the bed and Tank can have the floor in the dinning area.

Lulu is attending obedience class to help her with her limited social experience up until she joined us. I'm pleased to say her instructors are quite impressed with her.:D

Any tips for trailer camping, places that are dog friendly, or suggestions for stuff that I just gotta pack?

i have a pretty thorough meds box set up for them and the first aid for pets book already. I keep their current vaccine records in a gallon zip lock in my bag when we travel. We have traveled with Bulldogs many times.

OP
Chanticocat

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
I am so ready to go. The trailer has its front end off and only about a third of the frame work redone. Half the floor is taken up waiting for new soundboard and ply wood. Needs insulation and electrical and paneling and a few pieces of glass replaced. Gonna be awhile. We are hoping to be done by July.

Meds, crates,bowls, peanut butter, basic first aid, food, treats, extra towels and blankies ...IPhone, iPad
Anyone know a good bulldog veterinarian in or near Albequerque? I think we will be headed to Santa Fe in sept and I like to be prepared.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Travel with the dogs sounds like so much fun:w00t: wish we could do that with ours. Maybe some day, good luck with everything:)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh this sounds like such fun!! It is my dream to travel in an RV after we retire with my bully babies! Keep us posted on all the adventures and I need to see lots of pictures.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am so ready to go. The trailer has its front end off and only about a third of the frame work redone. Half the floor is taken up waiting for new soundboard and ply wood. Needs insulation and electrical and paneling and a few pieces of glass replaced. Gonna be awhile. We are hoping to be done by July.

Meds, crates,bowls, peanut butter, basic first aid, food, treats, extra towels and blankies ...IPhone, iPad
Anyone know a good bulldog veterinarian in or near Albequerque? I think we will be headed to Santa Fe in sept and I like to be prepared.

Add in baking soda! That was a life saver for us when Tyson got bit by fire ants & a wasp. Just mix the baking soda & water to form a paste, and apply to bites. And since you're traveling & out alot in spring, those bugs are out like crazy! Witch hazel, neosporin, an lots of baby wipes. Hee hee.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GREAT idea.... best of luck with the rebuild!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
sounds like so much fun! My parents have spent their retirement traveling around the east coast and down south in their camper with their 2 shelties. those dogs are more well traveled than I am!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
My in-laws have a huge RV motorhome and they travel the country with their two mini-schnauzers. They say that the biggest thing is to always keep a good food supply on hand. Sometimes when they travel it's hard to find the specific brand that the dogs are used to. They also give them only bottled water because they found that some water from RV parks upset their stomachs. I'm so jealous..I would love to travel the country with our girl :)

OP
Chanticocat

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
This trailer has a about a thirteen foot interior by about six anda half to seven ft. I love the suggestions of baking soda and water from home. Being in the desert, we AlWays bring water in the car. I had not thought to include more.

We aren't close to retirement by many many years. These will be weekend trips and planned weeks here and there. New Mexico is around the corner to the freeway and about four hours up the road. We have family in Colorado and friends in Utah. Would also like to get to Long Beach again to see the Bulldog Beauty contest held around Valentines weekend. We went once and had a blast! Couldn't find a hotel and needed up sleeping in the car. lol Fun times.

Lulu has class once A week and an hour of homework a night so we aren't getting as much done on the trailer as we would like. She has made great progress socially and this will mAke it easier to take her places.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online