When did you stop giving food treats for outdoor pottys?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm just curious. Bella looks for her food treats after every pee and poop. I give verbal and food treats for her pottys, but when I try to give just verbal praise, she looks for her food treat. LOL

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mine still get some on the way in the house,on the porch. They don't get them everytime-so they still are expectant!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I'm just curious. Bella looks for her food treats after every pee and poop. I give verbal and food treats for her pottys, but when I try to give just verbal praise, she looks for her food treat. LOL

We stopped giving Goob treats when he started taking himself out to potty. We leashed him up and walked him to the area of the yard where we wanted him to do his business. If we took him out, he got a treat. After a while, he would walk out the door on his own. That's when we stopped with the "potty time" treats.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I still give treats from time to time on potty..but not like before when he was being trained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hehe... Bitty Bella :) I'm guilty - Tyson is 9 yrs old, and I still give him treats. Not ALL the time, but most of the time. I just switched over to small ones, the size of kibble (fruitables) which are not bad for him - I do the blueberry & pumpkin. I only give him one, he probably can't even taste it bc its so small, but hey... its a treat! And that satisfies him. :D

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Um....Never! :ashamed: Frankie will sit in front of his cookies until I give one. He thinks he is smarter than me because he will cry to go out, do a circle on the deck (no potty takes place) and comes back in and tries to act like he should get a cookie. I even have it on video because it is so funny. I will post later. Brutus has never asked for a cookie but will gladly take one.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Um....Never! :ashamed: Frankie will sit in front of his cookies until I give one. He thinks he is smarter than me because he will cry to go out, do a circle on the deck (no potty takes place) and comes back in and tries to act like he should get a cookie. I even have it on video because it is so funny. I will post later. Brutus has never asked for a cookie but will gladly take one.

Hahaha! That's hilarious! I want to see!

Bella is so funny. She'll go potty and I'll have a party: "Bella!! Good girl!!! You're so good!!" and she'll look from my hand to my face over and over again. I give in each time. I don't want her to feel like it's not worth it anymore. LOL! Plus, my neighbor has a GSD mix who's around Bella's age. He (neighbor) told me that he doesn't treat anymore when he takes out his pup. I guess I shouldn't compare Bullies to other dogs. :p

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Since we need to take the elevator down, walk through a long lobby, out the back through a small park- before finally making it to where they can potty, they still get the occasional treat.
I think they deserve it for not going in the elevator, lobby or park..lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hahaha! That's hilarious! I want to see!

Bella is so funny. She'll go potty and I'll have a party: "Bella!! Good girl!!! You're so good!!" and she'll look from my hand to my face over and over again. I give in each time. I don't want her to feel like it's not worth it anymore. LOL! Plus, my neighbor has a GSD mix who's around Bella's age. He (neighbor) told me that he doesn't treat anymore when he takes out his pup. I guess I shouldn't compare Bullies to other dogs. :p
Bulldogs are all about routine and I do nothing to rock that boat!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

Ha!ha! That is why I slowed down on the treats-so they don't know if they'll get one or not! They were asking to go out every 5 min. just for the treat!!! They always have a plan..............:sneaky2:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Never had this problem. Butt scratches work just as well as a treat for my bullies. LOL. So yeah, I would give ice chips or the butts of slice bread as treat or butt scratches, ear scratches... they never know what they're gonna get!

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Lola and Floyd are 7 and 5 & 1/2 months and we just recently stopped giving treats for every potty only because they also were asking to go out doing a circle and returning for a treat. Now they never know if it's a butt scratch, an ice chip, a food treat or some verbal love. They also always look at me like where's the food mom but know as soon as I start to walk away they know it's not coming and continue on their way Before they would just follow me and as soon as I stopped walking they would assume the treat position. We only do fruits and veggies for treats and pretty small sizes so I'm never concerned about how much they have.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob

Oh my goodness! Goob does the same thing. I made the mistake of getting his food ready while he was outside pottying. He heard the kibble hit the bowl and came right back in. For the next several weeks he would scratch the door to go out, circle the patio, then scratch the door to come in....THEN SIT AND STARE AT THE TOP OF THE FRIDGE THINKING HE WAS GOING TO GET A TREAT!!!! I couldn't believe it! Had me worried for a while because it took me a couple days to catch onto his little game. I initially thought he might have a UTI and that it was hurting to pee but NOPE!!! He was working me. They are smarter than they let on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.