Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm going to Chicago this weekend and I'm going to board Bella for 3 nights. I am nervous, but it's only for a weekend. She'll be boarding at the vet's office, the same place she goes for doggie daycare. I feel good about this place because they totally love Bella and, obviously, there are doctors nearby.

Today at work, I found out that I'm going to Las Vegas next month...for 5 days! I have to leave her for a long time! I have so many questions and fears:

Will Bella think I've abandoned her?
Will she regress in her housetraining?
Will they watch her closely? She puts everything in her mouth!

Every scary scenario is going through my mind. I'm sure you can imagine.

Anyone else have to leave their puppy in boarding? She's 5 months old; she'll be 6 months old when I go to Vegas.

Maybe my fears are irrational. When I told the vet-tech that I was nervous, she looked at me like I was silly.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 138

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Your not silly. I have to leave my two in July for 10 days and I'm a wreck already. I dont think she will feel abandoned especially if she goes there for day care. She may regress with potty training a little. Just make sure they know she is still potty training and that she likes to put everything in her mouth. Have you toured the boarding facility yet? If not, I would do it and talk to whomever runs it. Good luck, I know this wont be easy for you.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I'm in a similar situation we got Bruno about a month and a half earlier then we wanted. He will be 14 weeks old when we leave for Florida for 9 days. After calling numerous boarding facilities, some in home, some kennels, I booked 9 nights at a boarding spa. When I was asking for the vaccination paperwork at my vets office. My vet offered to take him home every night if I boarded him there. I told him I was concerned about him being locked in the cage all day, they assured me that he would be out of the cage more than in the cage, everybody at the vets office loves him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: how far of a drive is it to Northern VA?? :ponder: :D

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Your not silly. I have to leave my two in July for 10 days and I'm a wreck already. I dont think she will feel abandoned especially if she goes there for day care. She may regress with potty training a little. Just make sure they know she is still potty training and that she likes to put everything in her mouth. Have you toured the boarding facility yet? If not, I would do it and talk to whomever runs it. Good luck, I know this wont be easy for you.

Yes, I've toured the boarding facility and they know she's a puppy who needs to be taken out frequently. Thank you for your support!

I'm in a similar situation we got Bruno about a month and a half earlier then we wanted. He will be 14 weeks old when we leave for Florida for 9 days. After calling numerous boarding facilities, some in home, some kennels, I booked 9 nights at a boarding spa. When I was asking for the vaccination paperwork at my vets office. My vet offered to take him home every night if I boarded him there. I told him I was concerned about him being locked in the cage all day, they assured me that he would be out of the cage more than in the cage, everybody at the vets office loves him.

So, you decided to go with the vet instead? I hope everything works out well.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Yes we decided to go with the vet. what's better than staying at the doctors house.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I know you are apprehensive! I have boarded Winnie once overnite at the same place she occasionally goes to daycare.
its a great place and I felt as good as I could about leaving her. Do not worry about her thinking you've abandoned her. Dogs live in the present and they don't think that way. Since she is used to daycare there, she'll probably have a great time. No worries if she gets sick because she's already at the vet! She will be super glad to see you when you pick her up!

One thing we do when we travel (or used to, we don't anymore) is have a friend come over and stay with the dogs. We happen to have a friend of my husbands that likes dogs, he is single and as long as he has a computer, he's happy, so he's the guy. He can always use a little extra money, so we pay him what we would pay for boarding. The dogs really like him and he loves spending time with the dogs.

Bella will be fine while your gone! You will miss her so much though!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet tech is silly, not you. You would be silly if you didn't worry about her while your off to sin city. If you are leaving her at same place you shouldn't have anything to worry about. She will have the biggest case of butt wiggles when you get back.

She would never feel like you abandoned her unless you really did which you're not so it's all good. :)

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yeah I know how you feel! I hav to go to Arizona in October for 2 weeks and I am so scared Jovi is going to think we up and left her. The only good thing is we are having a friend house/dog sit for us so she doesn't have to go off routine but it;s hard... definitely hard. I have faith though that you - and I - will make it, and even relax on our vacations! Just enjoy it while you can! :) You will be home sooner than later!

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
She will most likely be missing you a bit a first. You chose well though. When I worked for our veterinarian I would often give tours of the hospital. One of the pros of vet boarding is techs and assistants are trained to watch and observe everything. If your baby has health issues or medication needs definitely board with a veterinary facility. I also have experience as a small dog daycare attendant at a boarding facility. Pretty much any pup gets constant supervision when out of a kennel. Nothing gets left in pup reach. Toys get checked for damage and washed daily. parents can call anytime during business hours. There's cameras in the daycare rooms and many of the boarding suites. I agree that in a boarding situation potty training does tend to regress some when they are little especially.
Having that experience, I can tell you that I only boarded my Hank one night and it was a vets office. I boarded our Bichon at the facility where he does daycare for three days last September. He did fine except for being his obnoxious self when not in daycare with his buddies. He loves daycare. Hank doesn't care for daycare at all so he doesn't go.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
You're not silly...you're a totally normal bulldog owner! They are a special breed and they need special care. We are going to Disney World this summer and Belle will be boarded for 5 days. I'm SO nervous and completely dreading it. I told my husband that I was just going to put her in clothes and stick her in a stroller with the top pulled down...I was only joking...sort of :whistle:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.