Salmon oil vs fish oil gel pills????

teryf

Jan 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
I am curious... Are you all giving your bullies the Salmon oil to treat dry skin? This winter has been awful for my poor Dixie. She developed this skin condition that caused blisters all over her body that eventually turned black. Took her to the vet and did a food change upon his recommendation, he felt she had a food allergy. I was feeding Taste of The Wild, now have her Nature's Balance limited ingredient formula. See really no difference... She's still scratching and cuasing scabs due to the scratching. I was thinking of getting oil and giving it to her in her food to condition her skin. Glad I read this post. do have a question, should I switch back to Taste of the wild, she's eaten it since we got her @ 6 mths of age.

Tery

Zulma

Feb 17, 2011
Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Excuse my ignorance I' m a newbie as bulldog owner my baby is 4 months old why do you give them Salmon Oil, what is it for?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Salmon oil helps with skin/coat [MENTION=1866]Zulma[/MENTION] and is very good to add to the diet.

[MENTION=1757]teryf[/MENTION] wow....that sounds terrifying! Is there anyway to show us a picture? Also did the vet give you a course of antibiotics to give as well?

What was the protein source in both foods? also, sometimes your dog could be allergic to something like eggs, oats, barley.... but yes if this triggered in the middle of winter it probably is unlikely it is a seasonal allergy, although it is possible. You should probably try medicated shampoo, salmon oil, and a different protein source.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Excuse my ignorance I' m a newbie as bulldog owner my baby is 4 months old why do you give them Salmon Oil, what is it for?

Here's a nice link that gives info on the benefits of salmon oil. I just asked my vet (he's a bully vet) if I should you it and he said, Yes. My boy, Wilson, just turned 12 weeks.

What Are the Benefits of Salmon Oil for Dogs? | eHow.com

I wanted to add to that I had never heard of using it in all my years (because I never took so much time to research stuff for dogs). I wish I would have used it on our others before they passed for their coats.

Last edited:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I use Herring oil and pour it on Silva's food but I plan on getting the salmon oil pills because I hate the messy oil and smell!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have a question, since Vegas eats NVI salmon, would it do any good to give him fish oil pills or would that be to much? I didn't know you could give a dog fish oil pills, I personally take triple strength Fish Oil pills from GNC. Are you saying I could be giving these to Vegas as well? What would be the benefits?? I take them due to having Psorasis. I don't know if it helps my skin or not, but I take them anyway.

teryf

Jan 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Hey Folks,

Switched Dixie back to Taste of the Wild, salmon formula. Is there anyone close to Warren county, NJ that could help me out. My poor girl is tearing herself apart. I got medicated shampoo from the vet, don't have bottle on hand right now, but it was some pretty expensive stuff. I hope that I see a difference after making the food switch. For treats, I've been using fresh bananas and apples. I got wholistics cocunut oil to give her as a treat. I want to cry because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want to see my baby feeling better and looking healthy again.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have a question, since Vegas eats NVI salmon, would it do any good to give him fish oil pills or would that be to much? I didn't know you could give a dog fish oil pills, I personally take triple strength Fish Oil pills from GNC. Are you saying I could be giving these to Vegas as well? What would be the benefits?? I take them due to having Psorasis. I don't know if it helps my skin or not, but I take them anyway.

Yes, it would and should help him even more. Fish oil pills are the same, but Salmon oil is supposed to be better.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i'm coming in really late on this thread, but if anyone is put off by the price or smell of fish oil, i recommend coconut oil. I have seen wonderful improvements in butler's coat and skin once i started adding it to his meals.

[MENTION=1757]teryf[/MENTION], can you take pictures of her wounds? butler went through something that sounds similar. he was very itchy, and would tear apart behind his ears. they would be so bad, i felt awful. if i could keep him from itching long enough for the sores to heal, they would scab, and then the scab would fall off and he would have a black-ish scar left behind. i switched from benadryl to zyrtec and he hasn't itched since! his hair is growing back now too.

also, maybe you should switch the protein source. it's possible that fish doesn't work for her.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I take Krill Oil pills which are supposed to be better than fish oil for some reason... don't ask my why. When HRH runs out of coconut oil I think we are going to start sharing my krill oil pills with her. The coconut oil has 120 calories per tblsp. and the krill oil pills, none. They also contain omega3. She still has a half jar of coconut oil to use up first. The name brand on the krill oil pills is MegaRed. We get it from Walmart. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have to say, my boys used to take human fish oil pills until one day they stopped. Had taken them for years and 1 day said no more. wth? So I finally ordered the salmon oil to put over their food and Mugs still wasnt liking it so I only have been putting it on Cuttys. Well this bath time Cuttys shedding was pretty low, (he went first and usually they shed the same) Mugsy went in and his fur was coming out like normal wayyyyy more than Cuttys so I am now a firm believer in the salmon oil. Not saying the fish oil isnt as good, they had been off for so long I cant compare at all. Now Mugsy is getting his salmon oil tho for sure! For the both of them they only get 3 squirts total so it is lasting a little while, not long but not too fast either.

Most Reactions