Salmon oil vs fish oil gel pills????

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have been using Salmon Oil with a pumper top, you just add one "squirt" per 15 pounds. But it's nearly gone, so I'm trying to decide if I should get more of it (quite expensive), or use fish oil pills? I know some of you use the fish oil gel pills, and my questions are... is that as good for them as Salmon Oil? How do you know how much to give? Do they just eat the whole thing, or do you open the gel things and just add the oil to their food?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Not too sure about nutrition comparison, but I remember my vet telling me to avoid anything with cod liver oil because it will make our bullies smell like fish. I'm guessing it'll come out of their pores. I give Stiggy wild alaskan salmon oil gel pills, which I bought from Costco. At first, I used to pierce a small hole so that he's able to smell it first before eating so it entices him more. But now he'll take it as it is. I used to religiously give him 1 in the morning and 1 at night. But now, it's whenever I remember.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I still like the Grizzly pet products salmon oil. I spent hours on the computer going through every supplier I could find and www.betterhealthinternational.com will give you a 32oz container for aprox $27.89 (including shipping).

There was also www.naturalk9supplies.com who often have a discount code at checkout and I could get the 32oz size for 28.00. However, they also have the 64oz size available too which I am assuming would work out less money.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Carolina Pet Pantry has the Grizzly Salmon Oil, and dont forget to use the coupon code in the coupons & fundraisers board for 5% off! Here is the Salmon Oil:

Carolina Pet Pantry Product List

And don't forget it is free shipping too at CPP!

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Thanks![MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]: I just ordered the 64 oz. from the better health site, it was only $37.70 and $5. for shipping! That is a GREAT price since the one I got from Petco last time was $25. for 16 oz. I will keep this pumper top bottle, since the 64 oz. comes in a big jug I'll just fill up the pumper bottle.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What we got from Petsmart is Nutri-vet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. It was almost $30.00 for a 16oz bottle.
It smells REALLY STRONG when we give it to her, plus she always seems to lick on her legs more when we give it to her (we have tried a couple times) so we are thinking HRH is allergic to it.

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction?

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I went to Petco tonight to buy some Salmon Oil. Call me a bad
owner but I walked out with none. Its way to expensive IMO.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION]: Check out the first of the two links up at the top of this thread. They have all sizes and their prices are really good. Or you can get the fish oil (NOT cod liver oil) gel pills at Wal-Mart and just give her one of those everyday. That's what we give Arrow now. My husband bought some today, it says an adult dose is 3 a day, and Arrow weighs what some adults weigh. So he's going to get 3 a day.
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]: My girls have been getting salmon oil in their breakfast since July and no ill effects at all.

ChurchillJohnson

Feb 2, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Churchill Johnson
Salmon Oil is the better way to go. I use Salmon Oil with my pug and will be using it with my new bully. The Cod Liver Oil makes any dog stink... and it takes weeks to shake that stink....a particularly bad smell to have on your dog if you're interior / back country camping :ohmy:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I was thinking about getting some salmon oil for Guinness as I think this will help with Guinness's dry skin. Am I right to presume this?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION] - Yup, that's correct. It's really good for their skin in general, even for the itchies. What kind of shampoo do you use? That also helps the dry skin issues.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I went to Petco tonight to buy some Salmon Oil. Call me a bad
owner but I walked out with none. Its way to expensive IMO.

[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] it is horrendously expensive to get it from petco. That's why I'd look into getting it online. Carolina's Pet Pantry, and the two websites I had in my previous post all work out about the same price ... it's approx $27 for the 32oz bottle. Our local supplier which is Pet Supplies sold the 16oz one for about the same price!! :eek:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] thanks for info will def be buying him some online. we will be using Johnson baby shampoo, we are going to try and give him his first bath today

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION] Yay .. first bath pics!! :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks Kazzy! I just ordered the 64oz for $42.78 with shipping (got 10% off - sweet)! The Only Natural Pet Store was $43.99 for 32oz.

I still like the Grizzly pet products salmon oil. I spent hours on the computer going through every supplier I could find and www.betterhealthinternational.com will give you a 32oz container for aprox $27.89 (including shipping).

There was also www.naturalk9supplies.com who often have a discount code at checkout and I could get the 32oz size for 28.00. However, they also have the 64oz size available too which I am assuming would work out less money.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.