Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
O started doing this this morning. (Is that right? This this?)

Anyways, she's doing it again and it's kind of freaking me out. Anybody have any experience with this? Any suggestions on what it might be?

https://vimeo.com/121640886

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Cheryl, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but are you thinking it may be idiopathic head tremors?

IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR DOGā€™S IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS

Many dog owners have to watch their precious friends suffer from idiopathic head tremors on a regular basis. This problem can make owners feel helpless as their pets experience uncontrollable ā€œhead bobbing.ā€ Some dogs bob their heads side-to-side, while others bob up-and-down. Either way, many have described the bobbing as resembling the ā€œdog versionā€ of Parkinsonā€™s disease in humans.

Idiopathic head tremors can occur with just about any ā€œbully dog breeds.ā€ Some of these breeds include Bulldogs, Pit Bulls and Doberman Pinchers. Researchers continue to conduct studies. Yet, currently, no one really knows for sure why the tremors occur. Theoretically, the tremors are harmless. However, they can sometimes resemble seizures, which can be very stressful on owners.

HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR DOGā€™S IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS

If your dog experiences these annoying tremors, itā€™s important to remain calm. According to experts, the head bobbing doesnā€™t actually affect your pet. Yet, panicking will only cause your best friend to panic as well, which may cause the tremors to increase.

Instead, evaluate the condition of your dog. Is your buddy responsive and alert? What color are your furry buddyā€™s gums? Have any other parts of your petā€™s body been affected by the tremors?

A typical idiopathic head tremor episode will generally last around three minutes. Once the head bobbing is over, your dog should return to normal, as if the tremors never occurred at all. If your dog does appear to have been affected, contact your local veterinarian immediately.

If your dog suffers from tremor episodes several times per day or over a period of a few days, thatā€™s a good reason to visit your vet. Most pets never experience tremors while actually in the vetā€™s office. So, try to get your dogā€™s episodes on video. That way, your veterinarian can review the footage and use it to help him/her make an educated diagnosis.

ARE IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS HURTING YOUR DOG?

Many dog owners have reported their pets having recurring idiopathic head tremors for a while. Then, they suddenly just stop altogether. Until that happens, keep a journal which details the tremors. This will help you better understand what some of the possible triggers may be for the head bobbing condition.

In the meantime, remain calm, because these seizure-like symptoms are not life-threatening. That means they have no long-term effects on your dog. The actual point of treatment is to lower the stress and anxiety levels of dog owners who hate watching their pets suffer.

Dog owners with pets who suffer from idiopathic head tremors say that their buddies are entirely aware during episodes. Their ears stay up as if alert. They respond to your calls and commands as usual. And, their appetites arenā€™t affected.

The next time your dog suffers a tremor episode, simply try calling her/his over to you. Then, have your pet sit still so that she/he can focus. Usually, this will help to release your pet from the ā€œtremor trance.ā€ Some owners even say that doggie treats can also release them from the trance.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree with Monica's (@Vikinggirl) possibility, first
thing that came to my mind.

Sending loving hugs & prayers, dear {{{Cheryl}}}
and please, let us know how O continues to be.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Oh I don't know... Joey does kind of like that when her bum is itching, but then she also tries to rub her butt against something at the same time... Hope baby O is ok<3

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What I've videoed was the extent of it this evening. She simply laid down and that was it. And typically aren't idiopathic head tremors up-and-down in a rapid movement?

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh I don't know... Joey does kind of like that when her bum is itching, but then she also tries to rub her butt against something at the same time... Hope baby O is ok<3

I was wondering if her ear was bothering her. But I don't notice anything going on in there. And she's pretty good about whacking her head against the couch if she's got an itchy ear or running up to me and turning her backside to me if she wants me to get her tail pocket cleaned.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I think the movements looks a bit slow an controlled to be head tremors but I have no experience with that:unsure: Hopefully it was just something bothering her at the moment and it's all gone now:)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That did look a bit odd, almost like a head tremor but then it also didn't. Hopefully it was just an itch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm pretty sure it was her ear. I looked at it again and it had some flaky waxy crap in it. Her ears are usually very very clean....not sure how I missed it during the inspection this morning. I shot this video after I put ear stuff in..... but I thought you might enjoy Orion voicing her opinion. Video in next post.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What I've videoed was the extent of it this evening. She simply laid down and that was it. And typically aren't idiopathic head tremors up-and-down in a rapid movement?

Yes, but when they are starting and they try to 'stop' them it could have a different look -- Banks went side to side when she tried to stop them and hers never really were very rapid

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frankie does this sometimes when he is waking up. Looks kinda like he is nodding. The first time he did it, I ran around like a jerk thinking he was having a head tremor, but by the time I got back to him with the peanut butter, I saw he was re wettinghis tongue that was dry from his tippy tongue nap! I really don't think it is anything.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@Libra926 - Tyson does this very similar thing when he has a itch he can't reach. LOL It's usually his bum, he'll swing his head a bit too from side to side... I think to see if he can reach, which he can't - LOL Once I scratch for him & then wipe his bum & tail, he's all good :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue occasionally does this too, also when he can't reach an itch.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online