Swimming?

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We have a nice pool in our backyard. It's 5.5 feet deep and has a deck around it with a ladder. I know that generally bulldogs aren't good swimmers but do you guys think Belle would enjoy it if we got her a lifejacket? We spend hours in the pool during the summer and I would love if she could swim with us. Has anyone had a bulldog that liked to swim?

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Was working on it last summer. Hopefully this summer. They did really good but we will never let them around the pool without us watching. Emmitt can swim but not a clue on direction. Rogan can swim but if he wants to quit paddleing he just stops. Two boneheads.

View attachment 84886View attachment 84887

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Id definitely get the life jacket and teach her. Just keep an eye on her always.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Fortunately our pool is enclosed and the gate stays locked. We have young kids so we keep it very secure...she won't be able to get to the water unless we are with her. I'll get her a life jacket and we will see what she thinks :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
All of my bullies have loved the water! Whether or not they could swim was another matter. I would definitely get her a life jacket and get her in the pool! And take pictures. Love the pictures of Emmit and Rogan--they must be a hoot!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Was working on it last summer. Hopefully this summer. They did really good but we will never let them around the pool without us watching. Emmitt can swim but not a clue on direction. Rogan can swim but if he wants to quit paddleing he just stops. Two boneheads.

View attachment 84886View attachment 84887

I love the pics and the part where if he wants to quit paddling, he just stops. Such a BULLDOG. lol

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue loves the water and always swims near the shoreline so we have a life jacket for him.
Don't know about Wellie yet, but either way, we spend a lot of time on the water (weekends) and this summer it'll be even more so- so Wellie is definitely getting a life jacket.

If you use the pool a lot, why chance it ya know? Get her a life jacket and see how it goes.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
PS. I forgot I don't let their heads under the water. From the pictures only neck back. I know no two bulldogs are the same but all of ours in the past and theses two have really sensitive ears. Haha we don't even wash their heads on bath night. We thought before we got the boys we might get a life jacket for each of them and maybe jump off the diving board. Haha that Ain't never going to happen. Again no two are the same. Other members might not have that problem. Hope this helps.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I agree with the ears. We were in Key West last August and Blue went swimming like he usually does. But this time, he got an ear infection. When we left and went back to my parents, I had to find a vet in Delray Beach to treat it. Really sucked looking for a vet without a recommendation so far from home.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.