Judge of character?

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We had an interesting experience last night. Frank is very gentle and great with adults, kids, basically we went to some lengths to make sure he was socialized, and his temperament is great. We have people coming in and out of our house pretty regularly and he's always been a little butt wiggler and cuddler with new people in the house. Anyway, last night my boyfriend's friend came over with his new girlfriend. We had never met her before. They came in and frank greeted them but didn't really go near her. They sat down and he was getting some belly rubs from my boyfriends friend. The girlfriend was interested in frank but he wasn't really responding to her. A short while later frank was starting to get a little agitated and he looked at her and BARKED!! this is a huge deal to me because he NEVER barks. Ever. it was a low adult bark, and I was like where did that come from? That can't be from my little Frank. He did not show any aggression and did not escalate anything but he was clearly not enthused with her presence in our house.

later, we all went out as a group and when we were coming home my boyfriend and I agreed that we just really did not enjoy her company and would be happy if we didn't have to see her again. I couldn't help but think that frank predicted this for us before we even knew it!

does anyone else have any experience with a dog picking up on things like this? I grew up with shelties who never really liked anyone, so this is new to me!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, I've seen it a lot having worked at a dog daycare... there is a sense the dogs have that they pick up on that we can't and the dog is usually right.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh yes, I think they have a sixth sense about people! Very rarely they will bark at a particular person who comes to our house, they give off a vibe or something. On the other hand, when a true dog lover comes here they are overly excited too. They just know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Dogs know~~~~~~~they can feel things that we do not-like someone's aura.They can't be fooled like people can.Trust Frank's opinion.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
That's awesome! Now you can save yourself time. Before you even go out for the night ditch the person if Frank doesn't get a good vibe! I believe it's true..they just know!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
They absolutely know. Good job Frank.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I ALWAYS trust a dog's intuition about a person. They can pick up on things that we as humans will miss. We had a Doberman that loved everyone. He never met a stranger and was extremely friendly. One night when my husband was overseas our washer broke so I had a repair man come into the house to fix it. From the minute he stepped into the house, our dog hated him. I had to crate him because he was pacing and growling really softly. That was completely out of character for him so I watched the man closely. He finished fixing the washer and left. When I went to run a load of laundry, the entire bathroom flooded. It turns out that the guy was high on drugs and didn't hook up the washer properly. I couldn't tell but my dog sure could! Ever since then I totally trust a dog's instinct about a person. Belle loves everyone but if she ever acts funny about someone I'll definitely pay attention.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yes, I also firmly believe dogs can pick up on these things. I believe I have actually read an article talking about how dogs can pick up certain vibes, and if the dog is uncomfortable around someone than something is wrong.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] Yes, absolutely! Dogs can read a person almost immediately, they also read us, and our emotions. Similar but different story, I walk Tyson everyday, twice a day, he loves people, and is all nosey & happy when he sees someone - he always wants a pet. LOL -- One night, we were walking later than usual bc I had gotten home late, it was dark, and I noticed a man walking down the street towards us, on the opposite side of the road. I got scared, and kinda weary, just bc he didn't look familiar, and was dressed in a hoodie with the hoodie on over his head, and it was during the summer, so it was hot out, (even though it was night) - once the man got closer, Tyson immediately stopped, and put himself in a very firm stance, and glared at him from across the street. The man said something kinda smart, like "what is girl like you doing out so late?" - he took one step towards the road (as if he was gonna cross over, my heart was racing) - Tyson started growling really loud, in his stance. The man said "oh, you're dog is mean?" I said, YES, he's super mean & very aggressive & protective of me. (Which was a total lie, he's not aggressive at all) - but that man then stepped back onto the sidewalk and kept walking. I tried to keep going, and Tyson would not move, he followed the man with his head, and waited until he was a good 4 houses away from us then started walking again. It was craazzy to me! I couldn't believe how he read my senses & my fear, and stepped right up to protect me. When usually he's a marshmallow and all waggy with other random people he doesn't know.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I know most people believe it, but I think it's kinda like [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] said, they sense how we feel and act on it.
Also, many people just aren't good with dogs. Some are scared, others don't know how to act, especially if they've never had them. Our bullies just react to how the people feel.

But that's me, and I usually have a different opinion.. :whistle:

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] Yes, absolutely! Dogs can read a person almost immediately, they also read us, and our emotions. Similar but different story, I walk Tyson everyday, twice a day, he loves people, and is all nosey & happy when he sees someone - he always wants a pet. LOL -- One night, we were walking later than usual bc I had gotten home late, it was dark, and I noticed a man walking down the street towards us, on the opposite side of the road. I got scared, and kinda weary, just bc he didn't look familiar, and was dressed in a hoodie with the hoodie on over his head, and it was during the summer, so it was hot out, (even though it was night) - once the man got closer, Tyson immediately stopped, and put himself in a very firm stance, and glared at him from across the street. The man said something kinda smart, like "what is girl like you doing out so late?" - he took one step towards the road (as if he was gonna cross over, my heart was racing) - Tyson started growling really loud, in his stance. The man said "oh, you're dog is mean?" I said, YES, he's super mean & very aggressive & protective of me. (Which was a total lie, he's not aggressive at all) - but that man then stepped back onto the sidewalk and kept walking. I tried to keep going, and Tyson would not move, he followed the man with his head, and waited until he was a good 4 houses away from us then started walking again. It was craazzy to me! I couldn't believe how he read my senses & my fear, and stepped right up to protect me. When usually he's a marshmallow and all waggy with other random people he doesn't know.
Ew, so scary!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You know there is a reason for that sign IF MY DOG DOESN'T LIKE YOU,I PROBABLY WON'T EITHER. @madie4589

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob doesn't like anyone. It took him 3 months to get used to my sister in law and her kids and they were living in the house with us!!! He still can't be around the kids unsupervised. I work with him to try and differentiate between friend and foe but...it's a long road. I usually walk around the neighborhood at night...his protective nature is a blessing then;).

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I agree with the 6th sense. I remember one of the local pediatricians would have his dog when he had marketers try to meet him. If the dog would approach them and be happy, he would continue the meeting. If the dog would bark and not get close, he would excuse himself and leave the office and not come back. LOL. Smart!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.