Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Judge of character?

We had an interesting experience last night. Frank is very gentle and great with adults, kids, basically we went to some lengths to make sure he was socialized, and his temperament is great. We have people coming in and out of our house pretty regularly and he's always been a little butt wiggler and cuddler with new people in the house. Anyway, last night my boyfriend's friend came over with his new girlfriend. We had never met her before. They came in and frank greeted them but didn't really go near her. They sat down and he was getting some belly rubs from my boyfriends friend. The girlfriend was interested in frank but he wasn't really responding to her. A short while later frank was starting to get a little agitated and he looked at her and BARKED!! this is a huge deal to me because he NEVER barks. Ever. it was a low adult bark, and I was like where did that come from? That can't be from my little Frank. He did not show any aggression and did not escalate anything but he was clearly not enthused with her presence in our house.

later, we all went out as a group and when we were coming home my boyfriend and I agreed that we just really did not enjoy her company and would be happy if we didn't have to see her again. I couldn't help but think that frank predicted this for us before we even knew it!

does anyone else have any experience with a dog picking up on things like this? I grew up with shelties who never really liked anyone, so this is new to me!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Judge of character?

Yes, I've seen it a lot having worked at a dog daycare... there is a sense the dogs have that they pick up on that we can't and the dog is usually right.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh yes, I think they have a sixth sense about people! Very rarely they will bark at a particular person who comes to our house, they give off a vibe or something. On the other hand, when a true dog lover comes here they are overly excited too. They just know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Dogs know~~~~~~~they can feel things that we do not-like someone's aura.They can't be fooled like people can.Trust Frank's opinion.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

That's awesome! Now you can save yourself time. Before you even go out for the night ditch the person if Frank doesn't get a good vibe! I believe it's true..they just know!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

They absolutely know. Good job Frank.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Olivia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle
    Likes (Received)

I ALWAYS trust a dog's intuition about a person. They can pick up on things that we as humans will miss. We had a Doberman that loved everyone. He never met a stranger and was extremely friendly. One night when my husband was overseas our washer broke so I had a repair man come into the house to fix it. From the minute he stepped into the house, our dog hated him. I had to crate him because he was pacing and growling really softly. That was completely out of character for him so I watched the man closely. He finished fixing the washer and left. When I went to run a load of laundry, the entire bathroom flooded. It turns out that the guy was high on drugs and didn't hook up the washer properly. I couldn't tell but my dog sure could! Ever since then I totally trust a dog's instinct about a person. Belle loves everyone but if she ever acts funny about someone I'll definitely pay attention.
    "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”
    ― Charles de Gaulle

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I also firmly believe dogs can pick up on these things. I believe I have actually read an article talking about how dogs can pick up certain vibes, and if the dog is uncomfortable around someone than something is wrong.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

@madie4589 Yes, absolutely! Dogs can read a person almost immediately, they also read us, and our emotions. Similar but different story, I walk Tyson everyday, twice a day, he loves people, and is all nosey & happy when he sees someone - he always wants a pet. LOL -- One night, we were walking later than usual bc I had gotten home late, it was dark, and I noticed a man walking down the street towards us, on the opposite side of the road. I got scared, and kinda weary, just bc he didn't look familiar, and was dressed in a hoodie with the hoodie on over his head, and it was during the summer, so it was hot out, (even though it was night) - once the man got closer, Tyson immediately stopped, and put himself in a very firm stance, and glared at him from across the street. The man said something kinda smart, like "what is girl like you doing out so late?" - he took one step towards the road (as if he was gonna cross over, my heart was racing) - Tyson started growling really loud, in his stance. The man said "oh, you're dog is mean?" I said, YES, he's super mean & very aggressive & protective of me. (Which was a total lie, he's not aggressive at all) - but that man then stepped back onto the sidewalk and kept walking. I tried to keep going, and Tyson would not move, he followed the man with his head, and waited until he was a good 4 houses away from us then started walking again. It was craazzy to me! I couldn't believe how he read my senses & my fear, and stepped right up to protect me. When usually he's a marshmallow and all waggy with other random people he doesn't know.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I know most people believe it, but I think it's kinda like @TyTysmom said, they sense how we feel and act on it.
    Also, many people just aren't good with dogs. Some are scared, others don't know how to act, especially if they've never had them. Our bullies just react to how the people feel.

But that's me, and I usually have a different opinion..

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny, Angel, and Jackson
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    @madie4589 Yes, absolutely! Dogs can read a person almost immediately, they also read us, and our emotions. Similar but different story, I walk Tyson everyday, twice a day, he loves people, and is all nosey & happy when he sees someone - he always wants a pet. LOL -- One night, we were walking later than usual bc I had gotten home late, it was dark, and I noticed a man walking down the street towards us, on the opposite side of the road. I got scared, and kinda weary, just bc he didn't look familiar, and was dressed in a hoodie with the hoodie on over his head, and it was during the summer, so it was hot out, (even though it was night) - once the man got closer, Tyson immediately stopped, and put himself in a very firm stance, and glared at him from across the street. The man said something kinda smart, like "what is girl like you doing out so late?" - he took one step towards the road (as if he was gonna cross over, my heart was racing) - Tyson started growling really loud, in his stance. The man said "oh, you're dog is mean?" I said, YES, he's super mean & very aggressive & protective of me. (Which was a total lie, he's not aggressive at all) - but that man then stepped back onto the sidewalk and kept walking. I tried to keep going, and Tyson would not move, he followed the man with his head, and waited until he was a good 4 houses away from us then started walking again. It was craazzy to me! I couldn't believe how he read my senses & my fear, and stepped right up to protect me. When usually he's a marshmallow and all waggy with other random people he doesn't know.
    Ew, so scary!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

You know there is a reason for that sign IF MY DOG DOESN'T LIKE YOU,I PROBABLY WON'T EITHER. @madie4589
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads