Too Big and Too Hyper = Problems

B

Baxter Tiberius

Baxter isn't big compared to most EB's. But he's still 55lbs of solid muscle in the front half of his body. People comment all the time that he looks like a bodybuilder.

Combine this with the fact that he's probably the most hyper EB I have ever dealt with. I mean he will run full speed and jump 3 feet in the air if I am carrying something he wants. His energy knows no bounds. He is currently 1 year 9 months old.

We've been running into some problems. Namely:

1) Anytime he encounters another dog, he does not know how to approach properly. He breaks all the rules, stares the other dog right in the face, stands with a posture that is perceived as aggression by the other dog. The thing is, he is just being playful. He hasn't got an aggressive bone in his body. He thinks its normal to approach other dogs this way. 99% of the time, the other dog will start out wagging his tail, and within 5 seconds, the owner is having to pull the dog off baxter because he's trying to attack Baxter. Happens Every. Single. Time. Little dogs in the elevator have seen Baxters posture and staring issues, and pee'd right on their owners feet in front of me out of fear. Its simply because he doesn't approach / interact with dogs the way he's supposed to. The whole passive, careful, friendly approach.

2) Children. Especially little ones. I think he thinks they are meant to be knocked over or something. It has only happened once or twice. Once when a toddler had his tennis ball. He was going for the ball and just bulldozed the kid right over. It was horrifying. Another time a baby was in someone's lap at the dog park and he ran full speed up to the lady and almost tackled them in playfulness. I know its playfulness. I know he thinks he weighs 5lbs and has no clue. But I can't leave him off his leash around kids. I simply wont do it. I don't want to know what will happen. He will at the very least knock them over and the screaming will ensue.

3) At the dog park he will do NOTHING other than dive straight for every single dogs penis or crotch and spend as long as they let him, sniffing/licking it. 80% of the time it results in an angry attack from the other dog. He just bounces away and goes for another one. Repeat. Repeat. The owners hate me, and we no longer go to the dog park.

In general, he's just way, way, way, too intense. WAY too hyper. And way too clueless at the same time. He simply doesn't get that he needs to back off sometimes. He ignores warning signs from other dogs. And taking him anywhere is this constant wrestling match to keep him from being a menace to everyone. Yet I guarantee if he had the ability to smile, the whole thing would be done with a goofy smile on his face. He has no clue :)

Any suggestions? Any similar situations?

Its funny because when he approaches another bulldog - many times - they both posture VERY AGGRESSIVELY with eachother, then chase eachother around. He's great with french bulldogs who love to wrestle and get tackled by him. But its tiring being afraid to let him do anything.

Thanks.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hi, Kevin, good to see you again. Baxter is looking great!

Have you tried a bully specialized behaviorist yet? And, he's still
young in bully age yet so some of the hyperactivity could go down
about 2 1/2-3 yrs old. Also, is he neutered?

All the above is all I got so far to help advise you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Kevin -- very good to see you! How was the cross country trip.. all go well? And why no pictures of the boy in this post?

Baxter sounds a lot like our Banks was.... even at the age of 9, 63lbs and arthritis in her spine she could jump a good two feet from a sitting position. Baxter is not to old for more training... I would hire a personal trainer to come to you home and help you know how to direct and control his energy. we had to do this with Banks for the first few years then it was constant reinforcement for all of her life. She became WONDERFUL with children and knowing not to push or jump and fantastic with visitors to the home. Other dogs, well after age 3 we gave up on her being accepting of a pack of dogs (daycare, dog park), she just did not like other dogs and always wanted to be the Queen of the pack (sigh). So we kept her pack small, neighbor dogs, family dogs, and puppies... that is all she accepted. Now, we learned this all through the trainer, we though Banks was 'aggressive' not knowing any better, it turned out she was dominate and was trying to rule over any dog that came in 'her' world. Once we learned the difference, we were able to control her. it is not easy and it took a long time to get her there, but once she was there... WOW, what a great girl she was ---love her to pieces and would do it all again

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Kevin, it's good to "see" you! Sorry that you are having a rough time with Baxter. Do you know someone who has a dog tolerant enough, and energetic enough to handle Baxter? It sounds like he just has so much pent up energy, and not enough dog-socialization to handle it well. If he had the chance to play and play with one dog, who would be able to handle him and teach him HOW to play-one on one, maybe he would learn how to play, and release some of that energy correctly. You could take walks together, and then go somewhere with just the two dogs, and let them play. Just an idea, as I have 4 dogs that used to play all the time, now they play a little, and sleep a lot! Since they had each other, it certainly used up their energy. It kinda' sounds like Bax needs a dog to teach him doggie etiquette?
@Baxter Tiberius Wishing you can work things out, so you can enjoy your boy!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree a trainer is in order, but keep in mind, Baxter is very young. My Frankie is 3 1/2 and Brutus is 2 1/2 and the difference in their energy levels is immeasurable. Baxter will even out as he gets older.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
How much daily exercise does he get? My bulldog is extremely lazy and only needs a short walk, but I've owned high energy dogs in the past. Without a way to use up their energy they can become a real handful. Consult a trainer and consider upping whatever activity he's currently getting. A tired dog is a good dog ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.