How hot is too hot?

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We've had really cold rainy weather here the past few weeks, so since we finally have sunshine and nice temps today I took Belle on a walk. The temp is 78 (F) outside and it's breezy. We only walked for maybe 10 minutes but she started panting hard so I brought her back home. She's cooling down now and is fine, but it surprised me how hot she got just from that short walk. We live in Georgia where it gets super hot and humid. I want to make sure that I don't ever put her in danger of overheating. What is the cutoff temp for a bulldog to be outside or where do you draw the line? She loves her walks but I obviously won't do it if it's dangerous.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't think there's an actual "cut off" but I've heard tragic stories of bulldogs over-heating and passing away when the temps were in the mid 70's. It's good that you looked at Belle's "warning signs" --the panting--and brought her inside. When it's sunny out and the temps are in the upper 70's i may take my guys out for about 10min and on a very slow, leisurely stroll. We usually walk v.early in the a.m. or in the evening when the temps are cool but I still look out for signs their body is telling me.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We've had really cold rainy weather here the past few weeks, so since we finally have sunshine and nice temps today I took Belle on a walk. The temp is 78 (F) outside and it's breezy. We only walked for maybe 10 minutes but she started panting hard so I brought her back home. She's cooling down now and is fine, but it surprised me how hot she got just from that short walk. We live in Georgia where it gets super hot and humid. I want to make sure that I don't ever put her in danger of overheating. What is the cutoff temp for a bulldog to be outside or where do you draw the line? She loves her walks but I obviously won't do it if it's dangerous.

I'd say right around that temp; also depends on how active she was on walk. We're in TX, it gets outrageous here in the summer. I literally just take Tyson a few houses down, and right back. I also encourage him to walk slowly with leash/harness, and stop to let him take short breaks & catch his breath. I carry water with me as well in the summer. But honestly, there's nothing better than your own judgement. They will show you quickly with their breathing, but they are stubborn. So be firm, and get her back in :) Also... early morning or evening walks tend to be better due to temps! I avoid mid-day at all costs.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

here is an advice my vet told me on how to cool down your furkid. Put isopropyl alcohol on a squeezable container and squeeze that on her paws after a long walk. Alcohol is cold to the touch if you drop some on you. This will probably surprise her but is very effective in bringing down the temperature in the soonest possible time.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
here is an advice my vet told me on how to cool down your furkid. Put isopropyl alcohol on a squeezable container and squeeze that on her paws after a long walk. Alcohol is cold to the touch if you drop some on you. This will probably surprise her but is very effective in bringing down the temperature in the soonest possible time.

Interesting! You learn something new everyday here! I didn't know that, thanks!

Tyson's overheated on us twice. Ugh. so scary. We put him in the tub with cool (not cold) water, and gave him Popsicles. LOL - they say its dangerous to cool them quickly too, alot of ppl think - oh a tub of ice or cold cold water..... Big no-no, just cool water, even with a wet rag is fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Olivia, you have already received great advice from Henny and Jessica. I do the same thing with my guys we like to take longer walks with our guys in the Spring and Fall when the temperatures are cooler. When the Summer comes we only go out for potty breaks during the day, and stay in the air conditioning, and will go on a 15 or 20 min walk only in the early mornings and in the evenings when the sun isn't hot. We are also very careful In the winter when the temperatures are extreme. EB's don't tolerate extreme temps hot or cold. When we do go on walks we always take water with us, and we watch their breathing to make sure they aren't overheating or panting. When we go to a park or off leash dog park to let them run, we will drive there, let them run and then drive home, we don't walk there, let them run, and then walk back home, as this would be too much exercise for them. Generally anything over 68 to 70 degrees is too hot for a bully to be out for too long.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
pretty much anything over 70 can get dangerous real quick especially if the sun is in fun swing

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Awesome advice everyone! I've always owned more...ahem...athletic breeds so this overheating thing is fairly new for us. It felt perfect outside to me but obviously it was too warm for her. I will be very careful from now on!

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
We are in AZ. There's a thermometer in our room where the bullies sleep and one in the kitchen which also read outside temps. There's a thermometer on the back porch also. we are very temperature aware especially during May thru Sept. It has already hit over eighty degrees here. Our babies are never in the yard unattended for this and many other reasons. They/we go out and come right back in when its hot.
The best judgement is you. You know your baby.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Higher than 75, it's no more than 10min outside. I'm in south Texas, so summers get 100+ here! When that is the case, only potty and straight back inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Besides actual temps, bulldogs also need to acclimate. Too much swing in temps give them lower tolerance. My bullies can tolerate higher temps in the summer, but when just coming out of winter temps, they don't last as long outside in 65 temps. A few days of 65 and they can tolerate longer in 70, etc.

I have friends in the Philippines who has bullies. Temps don't go down there and A/C is not common. It stays in the 80's and their bullies can stay in that temp all day. But they've acclimated to it. On rare occasion that the temps drop to the 60's, the bullies have to be wrapped in sweaters because they have a hard time tolerating it. I thought that was crazy!

So yeah, pay close attention to the signs regardless of temps especially during temp swings.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Usually anything over 75 degrees makes me nervous. Try to take your walks early in the morning or late evening.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.