Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

  1. #1
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    harveyspecter's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Yorba Linda (The OC), California
    Posts
    4,896
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3559

    Default Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Hug your bully today

  2. #2
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,247
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Moving on up the list. That's good and also bad, because the more popular a dog gets the more the puppy mills will pump them out, unfortunately.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  3. #3
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,962
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2795

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    No good. I wish Bulldogs could remain a secret. Things like this come out and everyone and their brother run out to get a cute cuddly puppy and then they wind up in rescue. My friend at work was telling me that her beloved lab just died and her daughter wanted to get a Bulldog. So we had a nice chat. Not that I always dissuade people from getting a bully, but she is 21yrs old, works part time, and is a full time student. I laid out the care of a bulldog for her mom and told her to go home and have a long conversation with her daughter about the reality of having a bully and not just the cuteness of one. I also told them to come here to EBN and look over some threads and articles. They have decided to wait on a bully and go rescue a lower maintenance dog from a shelter. I hope this doesn't make anyone mad but I feel like it saves two dogs. One from going into a shelter or rescue because of unexpected care, and another that is in a shelter that needs a good loving home.
    My smooshy face boy!

  4. Likes Texas Carol, JennieS liked this post
  5. #4
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,735
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5596

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    NOT good news I'm afraid… more people will buy them, and dump them in shelters when the vet bills get high. Then don't even get me started on the backyard breeders...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  6. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  7. #5
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    harveyspecter's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Yorba Linda (The OC), California
    Posts
    4,896
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3559

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    yes, I see the point. Everything is nice when there are no issues.

    Come the persistent allergies, with that the skin issues, breathing issues, torn ACL's and so on. Come the vet bills.

    The same who found them cute now can't afford the care so it goes to the rescue.

    In the meantime the puppy mills/see the opportunity to breed endlessly for the $$. Sounds like a bad cycle.
    Hug your bully today

  8. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  9. #6
    Dog Park Attendant Goob14's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    451
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    240

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    @brutus77 I totally understand and I am fairly new to the bulldog scene. Goob will be 4 soon but up until this point, we have had no serious health issues to deal with. My sister and her fiance want a bulldog because they fell in love with Goob but I talked her out of it too. She has 2 jobs, is a part time student, and loves to take little trips with her fiance. All of these are good things but she definitely does not have the time to put into a dog let along a BULLDOG! I told her that IF she got a dog, she would need a dog that was pretty self sufficient. Bulldogs seem to go down hill quickly when left alone.

    We had a lab growing up and he was nothing like Goob. The lab would amuse himself by playing outside, roaming the yard, chewing his bone, sleeping, etc. Goob on the other hand cannot survive without our constant attention, constant routine maintenance, and almost constant supervision. I don't think people realize that bulldogs aren't like most other breeds until they get one. They're not the type of dog to just have laying around the house.

  10. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  11. #7
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,962
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2795

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    @brutus77 I totally understand and I am fairly new to the bulldog scene. Goob will be 4 soon but up until this point, we have had no serious health issues to deal with. My sister and her fiance want a bulldog because they fell in love with Goob but I talked her out of it too. She has 2 jobs, is a part time student, and loves to take little trips with her fiance. All of these are good things but she definitely does not have the time to put into a dog let along a BULLDOG! I told her that IF she got a dog, she would need a dog that was pretty self sufficient. Bulldogs seem to go down hill quickly when left alone.

    We had a lab growing up and he was nothing like Goob. The lab would amuse himself by playing outside, roaming the yard, chewing his bone, sleeping, etc. Goob on the other hand cannot survive without our constant attention, constant routine maintenance, and almost constant supervision. I don't think people realize that bulldogs aren't like most other breeds until they get one. They're not the type of dog to just have laying around the house.
    I agree, I also have a black and a yellow lab and they are very self sufficient. They were the perfect dogs to have when I was a busy young mother. Now that I am an old goat and my human baby is 15, I can devote my time to my bulldogs. I do work full time but someone is always in the house to care for the fur kids.
    My smooshy face boy!

  12. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6207

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Yeah, not so great. I think people want them for the looks, but once they see the cost behind them & the work to maintain them, they give them the boot. Shame on them! But honestly, we ALL here deserve huge pats on the backs, bc our breed does require so much care. And honestly, every bully here is just beautiful.. how good they look is a reflection on its owner, and their level of attention & care. I love it when random strangers stop to tell me what a good looking bulldog my Tyson is. I think to myself inside "he better look good, after all the $$$, attention, work I put into his big ol' butt" LOL haha.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  13. Likes Texas Carol, JennieS liked this post
  14. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11538

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Yea, cool, but not so much -- I'd rather they not be on the list.... more end up in rescue this way
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  15. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    I guess I think it's too bad that bullies are gaining in popularity. There's already more demand than there are puppies from reputable breeders, which I think is the cause of irresponsible breeding and puppy mills. Historically, very popular breeds have suffered from bad breeding for the chance to make money.

    I have had 3 bullies before Winnie and none of them had any health issues that I've seen on this website (except two had cherry eye). Winnie has been really healthy so far. She only has a tail pocket that has to be cleaned a couple of times a day, which none of my other girls had. It's never been infected. But I think anyone wanting a bulldog should come to this site before they make the decision to get one. I feel that I've been very lucky that my bullies have been as healthy as they've been! If I had come here before I got Winnie, I would have thought long and hard before getting a bully. I probably would have gotten one anyway because I LOVE bullies, but I would have been better informed about the possible problems.

  16. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  17. #11
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,844
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    1147

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    I guess I think it's too bad that bullies are gaining in popularity. There's already more demand than there are puppies from reputable breeders, which I think is the cause of irresponsible breeding and puppy mills. Historically, very popular breeds have suffered from bad breeding for the chance to make money.

    I have had 3 bullies before Winnie and none of them had any health issues that I've seen on this website (except two had cherry eye). Winnie has been really healthy so far. She only has a tail pocket that has to be cleaned a couple of times a day, which none of my other girls had. It's never been infected. But I think anyone wanting a bulldog should come to this site before they make the decision to get one. I feel that I've been very lucky that my bullies have been as healthy as they've been! If I had come here before I got Winnie, I would have thought long and hard before getting a bully. I probably would have gotten one anyway because I LOVE bullies, but I would have been better informed about the possible problems.
    I agree with all of this. That's why it was really important for me to get my bully from a reputable breeder. For sure, it doesn't really guarantee anything, but I didn't want to set myself up for failure. There is a Petland near me that had the cutest bulldog puppies several months ago. Man, that was hard to pass up, but I had to do it.

    As the EB inches up from #4, there will be more and more backyard/puppy mill bullies for sale, sadly.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}



    IG: @bellatheenglishbully

  18. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  19. #12
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Bulldogs inch another notch in popularity - We are now #4

    Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    No good. I wish Bulldogs could remain a secret. Things like this come out and everyone and their brother run out to get a cute cuddly puppy and then they wind up in rescue. My friend at work was telling me that her beloved lab just died and her daughter wanted to get a Bulldog. So we had a nice chat. Not that I always dissuade people from getting a bully, but she is 21yrs old, works part time, and is a full time student. I laid out the care of a bulldog for her mom and told her to go home and have a long conversation with her daughter about the reality of having a bully and not just the cuteness of one. I also told them to come here to EBN and look over some threads and articles. They have decided to wait on a bully and go rescue a lower maintenance dog from a shelter. I hope this doesn't make anyone mad but I feel like it saves two dogs. One from going into a shelter or rescue because of unexpected care, and another that is in a shelter that needs a good loving home.
    Lots of good points here, Rosalie.

    I sort of felt the same way when the Beagle won the recent Best in Show. There are so many Beagles in rescue that need a home , as well as many who were rescued from labs for expermintal purposes.

    I guess it's a double edged sword.
    Yes, we know our Bulldogs are simply the best dog out there but at the same time, let's not share it with a world who many times are not ready, willing or able to accept the full responsibility of raising a bully.




  20. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •