Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Moving on up the list. That's good and also bad, because the more popular a dog gets the more the puppy mills will pump them out, unfortunately.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
No good. I wish Bulldogs could remain a secret. Things like this come out and everyone and their brother run out to get a cute cuddly puppy and then they wind up in rescue. My friend at work was telling me that her beloved lab just died and her daughter wanted to get a Bulldog. So we had a nice chat. Not that I always dissuade people from getting a bully, but she is 21yrs old, works part time, and is a full time student. I laid out the care of a bulldog for her mom and told her to go home and have a long conversation with her daughter about the reality of having a bully and not just the cuteness of one. I also told them to come here to EBN and look over some threads and articles. They have decided to wait on a bully and go rescue a lower maintenance dog from a shelter. I hope this doesn't make anyone mad but I feel like it saves two dogs. One from going into a shelter or rescue because of unexpected care, and another that is in a shelter that needs a good loving home.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
NOT good news I'm afraid… more people will buy them, and dump them in shelters when the vet bills get high. Then don't even get me started on the backyard breeders...

OP
harveyspecter

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
yes, I see the point. Everything is nice when there are no issues.

Come the persistent allergies, with that the skin issues, breathing issues, torn ACL's and so on. Come the vet bills.

The same who found them cute now can't afford the care so it goes to the rescue.

In the meantime the puppy mills/see the opportunity to breed endlessly for the $$. Sounds like a bad cycle.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] I totally understand and I am fairly new to the bulldog scene. Goob will be 4 soon but up until this point, we have had no serious health issues to deal with. My sister and her fiance want a bulldog because they fell in love with Goob but I talked her out of it too. She has 2 jobs, is a part time student, and loves to take little trips with her fiance. All of these are good things but she definitely does not have the time to put into a dog let along a BULLDOG! I told her that IF she got a dog, she would need a dog that was pretty self sufficient. Bulldogs seem to go down hill quickly when left alone.

We had a lab growing up and he was nothing like Goob. The lab would amuse himself by playing outside, roaming the yard, chewing his bone, sleeping, etc. Goob on the other hand cannot survive without our constant attention, constant routine maintenance, and almost constant supervision. I don't think people realize that bulldogs aren't like most other breeds until they get one. They're not the type of dog to just have laying around the house.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
@brutus77 I totally understand and I am fairly new to the bulldog scene. Goob will be 4 soon but up until this point, we have had no serious health issues to deal with. My sister and her fiance want a bulldog because they fell in love with Goob but I talked her out of it too. She has 2 jobs, is a part time student, and loves to take little trips with her fiance. All of these are good things but she definitely does not have the time to put into a dog let along a BULLDOG! I told her that IF she got a dog, she would need a dog that was pretty self sufficient. Bulldogs seem to go down hill quickly when left alone.

We had a lab growing up and he was nothing like Goob. The lab would amuse himself by playing outside, roaming the yard, chewing his bone, sleeping, etc. Goob on the other hand cannot survive without our constant attention, constant routine maintenance, and almost constant supervision. I don't think people realize that bulldogs aren't like most other breeds until they get one. They're not the type of dog to just have laying around the house.

I agree, I also have a black and a yellow lab and they are very self sufficient. They were the perfect dogs to have when I was a busy young mother. Now that I am an old goat and my human baby is 15, I can devote my time to my bulldogs. I do work full time but someone is always in the house to care for the fur kids.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah, not so great. I think people want them for the looks, but once they see the cost behind them & the work to maintain them, they give them the boot. Shame on them! But honestly, we ALL here deserve huge pats on the backs, bc our breed does require so much care. And honestly, every bully here is just beautiful.. how good they look is a reflection on its owner, and their level of attention & care. I love it when random strangers stop to tell me what a good looking bulldog my Tyson is. I think to myself inside "he better look good, after all the $$$, attention, work I put into his big ol' butt" LOL haha.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yea, cool, but not so much -- I'd rather they not be on the list.... more end up in rescue this way

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I guess I think it's too bad that bullies are gaining in popularity. There's already more demand than there are puppies from reputable breeders, which I think is the cause of irresponsible breeding and puppy mills. Historically, very popular breeds have suffered from bad breeding for the chance to make money.

I have had 3 bullies before Winnie and none of them had any health issues that I've seen on this website (except two had cherry eye). Winnie has been really healthy so far. She only has a tail pocket that has to be cleaned a couple of times a day, which none of my other girls had. It's never been infected. But I think anyone wanting a bulldog should come to this site before they make the decision to get one. I feel that I've been very lucky that my bullies have been as healthy as they've been! If I had come here before I got Winnie, I would have thought long and hard before getting a bully. I probably would have gotten one anyway because I LOVE bullies, but I would have been better informed about the possible problems.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I guess I think it's too bad that bullies are gaining in popularity. There's already more demand than there are puppies from reputable breeders, which I think is the cause of irresponsible breeding and puppy mills. Historically, very popular breeds have suffered from bad breeding for the chance to make money.

I have had 3 bullies before Winnie and none of them had any health issues that I've seen on this website (except two had cherry eye). Winnie has been really healthy so far. She only has a tail pocket that has to be cleaned a couple of times a day, which none of my other girls had. It's never been infected. But I think anyone wanting a bulldog should come to this site before they make the decision to get one. I feel that I've been very lucky that my bullies have been as healthy as they've been! If I had come here before I got Winnie, I would have thought long and hard before getting a bully. I probably would have gotten one anyway because I LOVE bullies, but I would have been better informed about the possible problems.

I agree with all of this. That's why it was really important for me to get my bully from a reputable breeder. For sure, it doesn't really guarantee anything, but I didn't want to set myself up for failure. There is a Petland near me that had the cutest bulldog puppies several months ago. Man, that was hard to pass up, but I had to do it.

As the EB inches up from #4, there will be more and more backyard/puppy mill bullies for sale, sadly.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
No good. I wish Bulldogs could remain a secret. Things like this come out and everyone and their brother run out to get a cute cuddly puppy and then they wind up in rescue. My friend at work was telling me that her beloved lab just died and her daughter wanted to get a Bulldog. So we had a nice chat. Not that I always dissuade people from getting a bully, but she is 21yrs old, works part time, and is a full time student. I laid out the care of a bulldog for her mom and told her to go home and have a long conversation with her daughter about the reality of having a bully and not just the cuteness of one. I also told them to come here to EBN and look over some threads and articles. They have decided to wait on a bully and go rescue a lower maintenance dog from a shelter. I hope this doesn't make anyone mad but I feel like it saves two dogs. One from going into a shelter or rescue because of unexpected care, and another that is in a shelter that needs a good loving home.

Lots of good points here, Rosalie.

I sort of felt the same way when the Beagle won the recent Best in Show. There are so many Beagles in rescue that need a home , as well as many who were rescued from labs for expermintal purposes.

I guess it's a double edged sword.
Yes, we know our Bulldogs are simply the best dog out there but at the same time, let's not share it with a world who many times are not ready, willing or able to accept the full responsibility of raising a bully.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's amazing to me at how the economy gets better Bulldogs are slowly making their way up the rankings. The number 1 dog in L.A. is the bulldog and that was unheard of even 10 years ago. Just a matter of time until the world realizes that they are the best breed hands down if you can handle all of their problems. Thanks for sharing this [MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION]

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
No!!!! I kinda like the EB world the way it is!! Kinda like they're OURE secret lol. Plus I don't think I can handle another bully baby in rescue/shelter or the other unpleasant effects!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.