Sudden extreme shedding

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Up until about a week ago georgia wasnt a big shedder. Now all of a sudden she is losing hair like crazy. If i run my hand down her back my palm is covered in hair. Her diet is still orijen puppy so that hasnt changed and its still below 20 here so i doubt its the weather changing. Shes 7 months old in 5 days. Could she just be losing her puppy coat or something? I just gave her an oatmeal bath and hair is just falling off her but not in patches or anything. Its pretty evenly coming off and i dont see any irritation on her skin.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I don't have any experience with that kind of shedding. Winnie ate Orijen puppy and now she eats the adult Orijen, six fish. I'd probably check with the vet. Keep us posted.

DCL86

Dec 18, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harleigh
Harleigh started shedding more this week. I think it's her "winter coat" leaving. When I brush her it's all grey while she's brindle. I'm not concerned at all.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella sheds exactly like that. She has since day one and I have no idea how to stop it.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Probably blowing out new fur, some do this more than once per year if I'm not mistaken. Any increased sneezing, increased tear drop stain, face wiping on carpet or other areas, or scratching? If so, it may be allergy related.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Up until about a week ago georgia wasnt a big shedder. Now all of a sudden she is losing hair like crazy. If i run my hand down her back my palm is covered in hair. Her diet is still orijen puppy so that hasnt changed and its still below 20 here so i doubt its the weather changing. Shes 7 months old in 5 days. Could she just be losing her puppy coat or something? I just gave her an oatmeal bath and hair is just falling off her but not in patches or anything. Its pretty evenly coming off and i dont see any irritation on her skin.

She could be blowing out her coat as suggested… with the crazy weather we are having, it may contribute to it. My bully Bella had seasonal alopecia, she was very thin on her side flanks and it happened several times a year. I would be careful w/the oatmeal shampoo… some dogs are allergic. I use the furminator brush on Wally once a week followed by the Kong brush… the furminator really gets the undercoat hair and that helps keep the shedding down.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Both of mine are shedding like crazy right now, I just assume it's the start of them shedding their winter coat.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Shes got to go in for her spay surgery in a week. Ill see if it gets better by then and if not ill talk to the vet. Glad to see im not alone in the flying fur.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tyler, I agree with other comments and suggestions above, there are many reasons for shedding, like blowing the winter coat, dry skin, allergies to food or environment including shampoo, or it can be caused by medical reasons, like low thyroid or parasites. My guys have allergies and bulldozer started shedding last summer really bad, his hair came off in my hand like Georgia's. I changed his food from Fromm's Beef Frittata to a Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, he also had runny goopy eyes which went away as well after the food change. Which food are you currently feeding Georgia? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. Your best bet is to talk to your vet to rule out any medical reasons, but if it's just normal shedding, and shes not scratching or licking herself, and there are no bald or sore spots then I wouldn't worry to much.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Shes on the Orijen puppy which is grain free chicken turkey wild game and fish.

Shes not scratching or licking and she hadnt had a bath for 2 weeks so Im not sure about the shampoo. Theres no baldspots or patches of hair its just alot if individual strands. She laid on my couch last night and when she got up it was covered in wirey little bristles of hair. Im thinking its her winter coat but since its still so cold here I didnt think that would happen just yet.

If its not calmed down next week Ill speak to the vet before her surgery.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Shes got to go in for her spay surgery in a week. Ill see if it gets better by then and if not ill talk to the vet. Glad to see im not alone in the flying fur.

You're not the only one, I posted about this about 2 weeks ago. I think they are blowing their coats, bc Tyson was a shedding fool! Big huge handfuls of hair when you pet him. I brush him everyday, that helped, and started give him some salmon oil in his food. It has helped, but he's still shedding. I believe they blow their coats twice a year.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.